- Broken Base: As SF Debris put it, fandom is split between those who think the serial is So Bad, It's Good and those who think it's So Bad It's Awful.
- Cliché Storm: To the point that the recovery of another episode was met with decidedly more mixed reactions that literally any other story would have gotten. Opinion has shifted as fans have seen the episode. It's generally considered much better than episode 3, and improves episode 3 by adding much-needed context.
- Ham and Cheese: Most fans (and the cast and crew) find the story hokey, nonsensical and generally stupid, but Joseph Fürst played Zaroff so outrageously over-the-top and with so much Chewing the Scenery that he becomes an entertaining and memorable villain (although the interview with Anneke Wills on the reconstruction audio suggests that she thought he Took the Bad Film Seriously, and that she and Patrick Troughton would constantly make him repeat his line "NOTHINK IN ZE VORLD CAN SHTOP ME NOW!!" to laugh at him and he never realised they were mocking him).
- Inferred Holocaust: The Doctor almost certainly kills many of the Atlanteans by flooding the city.
- Memetic Mutation: "NUZZING IN ZE VORLD CAN SHTOP ME NOW!!!!"
- Pretty much every line that comes out of Joseph Furst's mouth. His closing line of episode 3, however ("NOZING IN ZE VORLD CAN SHTOP ME NOW!") takes the cake.
- The whole episode in fan circles is known for its utter camp. In fact, it's even often referred to Plan 9 from Doctor Who.
- So Bad, It's Good
- What an Idiot!: Everyone falls for Zaroff's laughably unconvincing fake heart attack.
YMMV / Doctor Who S4 E5 "The Underwater Menace"