- Ensemble Dark Horse: The Toymaker's only appearance was in this one story, of which three of its episodes are now lost, but he's still one of the most iconic villains in the franchise.
- Ham and Cheese: The script was heavily hampered by No Budget conditions and the plot's central point was made impossible by copyright disputes, leading to much of the story being basically Padding. On the other hand, Michael Gough chews on scenery hand over fist and is obviously loving the opportunity to be an over-the-top, hammy villain. He even takes the script seriously in some places to deliver some surprisingly intense interactions with the Doctor.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The fact that the Celestial Toymaker, played by Michael Gough, appears alongside a character named Dodo and later voices a Dodo in the Tim Burton Alice In Wonderland film.
- Overshadowed by Controversy: Nowdays this story is less remembered for its actual content and more heavily remembered for the fact that a minor antagonist, played by a white actor, casually drops the n-word in an "eenie-meenie-miney-moe" routine.
- Padding: The story is packed full of this because Troubled Production meant the point of the script had to be removed late in development. There's all sorts of dance scenes and shots of the characters rolling dice and making moves on board games, and pointless conversations. At least they had a top-class actor having a great time hamming it up as the villain.
- Retroactive Recognition: The Toymaker is Alfred Pennyworth.
- Values Dissonance:
- The King of Hearts casually uses an older version of the "Eenie Meenie Miney Mo" rhyme which uses the N-word in place of "tiger". On The BBC's soundtrack release (due to it being a Missing Episode), Peter Purves' narration is deliberately timed to obscure the offending word.
- Some, including El Sandifer and Diamanda Hagan criticised the story for being racist due to the titular villain appearing in Yellowface and being dressed like a Chinese Mandarin. Furthermore, "celestial" was a derogatory term for Chinese people.
YMMV / Doctor Who S3 E7 "The Celestial Toymaker"