- Broken Base: This is one of the most contested stories of the period, even applying to the people who made it. Ben Aaronvitch hates it, while Andrew Cartmel named it as one of his favourites.
- Harsher in Hindsight: The Doctor, distraught over the apparent death of the Brigadier, tells him "You should have died in bed!" Fast forward to "The Wedding of River Song"...
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Ace shouts, "Geronimo" as a battle cry. This would be a Catchphrase of the Eleventh Doctor.
- Les Yay: Ace and Shou Yuing bond over a shared love of explosives and at one point are huddled inside a chalk circle clutching a sword.
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: The climax has the Doctor rant about how modern warfare can bring untold destruction, yet the person responsible never has to see the consequences because all they have to do is push a button. With the advances in technology since then, this scene is sadly just as relevant nowadays, if not more so.
- Retroactive Recognition: One of the UNIT extras is Marc "Elton Pope" Warren.
- Special Effects Failure:
- The TARDIS "set" is a curtain with yellow circles painted on, as the walls of the usual set had been badly damaged in storage between seasons; the lighting is very low in order to disguise this, with an explanation written into the script that there's a power drain. Fortunately all the other stories in Season 26 had been written without any scenes set in the ship anyway (making this the only appearance of the console room during the final season of the Classic series).
- Ben Aaronvitch cringes at the shot of the Brigadier being blown through the window, as the debris spray didn't happen.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: The Destroyer is one of the best looking monsters of the Classic Series.
YMMV / Doctor Who S26 E1 "Battlefield"