- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: Almost every single character is a massive jerkass, and the few exceptions never prosper in this world. By the middle of the series, it's quite clear that none of the three major characters have a Hidden Heart of Gold. Pretty much summing things up is the comment by the Lemony Narrator in the last episode in respect to the After the End setting, which is to the effect that "With people like this, it doesn't matter if humanity goes extinct."
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Stryker to some (including some in-show characters)
- Harsher in Hindsight: Remember all those "endearing" traits Kanta had that were Played for Laughs? After the reveal of his true nature, go back and watch the series again and you realize it's not quite as funny anymore.
- Love to Hate: Kanta, the main character himself. He's an unrepentant asshole who only looks out for himself. Many fans would also argue that he is a hilarious character because of how much of a selfish Jerkass he is.
- Moral Event Horizon: Kanta and Junko cross this further and further as the series goes on.
- Too Cool to Live: Kanta looked to be this but he actually joined the government.
- Woolseyism: The English dub throws in a lot of fourth-wall breaking humor and also translates the songs into English.
YMMV / Desert Punk