- Bizarro Episode: The arc involving Viana's diabolical niece, Janni, who can perform magic in an otherwise mundane world
- Ho Yay: For a brief moment in the "Crushed Velvet" arc, James begins thinking about how nice Jared is...which leads to a fantasy of James and Jared making out. James panics a bit when he realizes he's going into this territory, and this prompts him to ask Velvet out.
- On a sadder note, the "Crushed Velvet" arc also shows that Blair was attracted to Velvet, but nothing really came of it. Justified, as Blair felt guilty and confused about her attraction, and was afraid of what might happen if she tried to act out on it.
- Jerkass Woobie: Viana occasionally has this role, especially considering the "Viana is Mopey" arc where she feels depressed. The scenes on the bus when no one sits next to her, and when she looks forlornly at Woola and Thondy after their affectionate display pretty much cement this.
- Nightmare Fuel: Viana can be quite scary when she's angry. On one occasion, when a roommate candidate let their kid run loose in the house, Viana gave them what could only be described as a curvy, deranged smile of someone about two seconds from completely losing it.
- While the otter who verbally attacks everyone is a Jerkass, the parts where he's accosted by some rather unnerving smiling/grinning truckers who keep asking him why "a little thing like him" is around give off unpleasant vibes.
- During the arc where Velvet has dogs she must give away, one of those interested is a rather feral-looking wolf anthro who intends to eat a puppy. The deranged eyes and teeth directed towards the viewer in the shot don't help.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: In-verse, as well as out-verse, James and Blair's wooing in the past, especially over the phone
- Ultimately, Velvet inducing this on Janni, through cutesy touches like bows and ribbons, is what drives her away.
YMMV / Deer Me