- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: Who do you root for in this movie? The selfish, arrogant guy named Steve or the selfish, arrogant guy named Buddy? Not helping is that the plot is basically about Buddy's vanity project, there's a lot of destruction of Christmas icons, such as trees, and no one, even background characters, are likable.
- Designated Hero: Steve, who's antics are just as petty and disruptive as Buddy's.
- Esoteric Happy Ending: Buddy finally accomplishes his goal of making his him visible from space with the help of Steve and their neighbors; however, the two have racked up quite the criminal record for themselves and have spent the last of what they have to make up for nearly ruining Christmas for their families. And considering the sheer amount of energy Buddy must be spending on his massive display, odds are they will be penniless once the excitement wears off and the bills start coming in.
- Fridge Horror: A very literal example, as Buddy claims he dropped a fridge upon a cat while moving in; on the upside most of it got away.
- Idiot Plot: Nobody seems to feel the need to call the police on either Steve or Buddy as they continue to disrupt the neighborhood with their competitive antics, even as the two are causing serious property damage and resorting to various acts of theft, sabotage and forgery to outwit each other.
- Special Effect Failure: When Buddy's house becomes visible from space, the bright light somehow emanating from the computer screen stops right at the edge of the desktop, so it's just a video on the computer.
- Unintentionally Unsympathetic: Steve, who's increasingly brazen attempts to exact revenge on Buddy make him no better than the new neighbor who has caused him so much angst with his light show. This exchange happens after the ice-skating competition:Steve: (To Buddy) Fine! But the last time I looked at the satellite pictures, still couldn't see your house. Not a flicker! Not a blip! How's that feel, huh? How's it feel to be invisible?! Huh? Huh?! (Cut to Buddy walking away forlorn)
YMMV / Deck the Halls