- Alternative Character Interpretation: Given the reveal that Greider himself is a Brenner, is his increasing brutality (forcing the innkeeper's wife to eat gold coins, for example) just Paying Evil Unto Evil out of justifiable revenge, or evidence that such violence is In the Blood?
- Also, given that Greider's mother was apparently rescued before she could be raped in the flashbacks, was it possible that Brenner was just lying about Greider being a Child by Rape to torment his killer in the only way he could?.
- Anti-Climax Boss: The Brenner patriarch.
- Narm: The slow-mo and music applied to it during the showdown completely destroy the tense, tar-black moment and doesn't fit the rest of the film at all.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: One of the Brenner brothers wears an eyepatch. It would have been a neat story element if he'd lost his eye during Greider's mother's escape, but he's already wearing an eyepatch it in the flashback wear that happens.
YMMV / Das Finstere Tal