- Acceptable Targets:
- Many jokes get made at the expense of Veronica's Asian heritage.
- In response, she often jokes about Eli's size.
- Warner's father constantly making racist comments.
- Jerkass Woobie: Eli isn't a saint, but he's not exactly an evil guy. Throughout the series, he always gets into arguments with his father. He was so mad at his father that he once chained up the fridge, which he somehow got into. Veronica and Warner even refer to his womanizing ways. However, he does have a heart deep down and cares about those around him.
- No Such Thing as Bad Publicity: The show was absolutely broiled by critics, but the producers apparently tried to turn that into an advantage by actually showing the soundbites from the worst reviews during the show's commercials and then having a (supposedly) adoring fan from a test screening both gush over the show and talk about how wrong the critics were. It was a novel idea for a show that was already getting a lot of flak before the pilot even aired, but considering it didn't even finish a full season it didn't really work out in the end.
- The Vomit Indiscretion Shot where Warner and Eli repeatedly vomit onto each other.
- Warner's father getting hit on by a foster house's mother. More explicitly, she says, "my secret garden needs tending to". Understandably, he runs away in terror.
- Eli walking in on his elderly father having sex with his middle-aged chubby Mexican maid.
YMMV / dads