- Alternate Character Interpretation: The Grendels are a common target, often being seen as Ugly Cute and misunderstood. Often, they're manually bred or hand raised to be non-aggressive in order to match this portrayal.
- Broken Base:
- The first instance was during the Usenet days, where there were many, many totally civil debates about whether torturing or neglecting a virtual animal was cruel.
- Upon details of 4/Online being revealed, the altered Norn designs along with the Shee being revealed to be Rubber-Forehead Aliens has drawn a lot of flak.
- In all the games, it was a pretty common point of contention whether or not Grendels were Always Chaotic Evil and deserved every second of the most torturous, sadistic deaths one could possibly dish out, or misunderstood Woobies who are too often a victim. To be fair, wild Grendels in Creatures 3 gladly killed norns for fun and fell into the former, while Grendels in the first two games — along with custom-engineered genetic lines in all games — could easily be integrated into Norn populations without much risk.
- Crosses the Line Twice: "Norn Bread" game mods resulting from a misspelt post on a Usenet thread, archived here, where there was a joking debate between laughably dog-kicking Norn-eaters and a just-for-fun Animal Wrongs Group. Shortly after the thread, a Breaded Hatchling Norn item was created, with a Norn Bread Vendor soon afterwards.
- Designated Hero: The Shee. The Shee. They jumped ship and abandoned their helpless creations to let them rot to near-extinction at the first sign of danger... twice.
- Fridge Brilliance: What's with Albia's weird disc shape? It's literally the CD that you play the game with.
- Good Bad Bugs: As stated on that page, "wall-bonking" is bad but classic. Let us not forget, also, the first game's flying lemons.
- Porting Disaster: The PS1 ports infamously removed the series' trademark virtual genetics, making the games little more than bog-standard virtual pets.
- Scrappy Mechanic: The power ups in C2 and C3/Docking Station which unlocked various useful tools and abilities can only be activated by a creature and are scattered around the map requiring sometimes extensive creature wrangling in areas containing dangerous plants to get. C2 eventually released a tool to activate them via script in an add on, and several third party mods exist to easily activate them in C3/DS.
- Tear Jerker: Now with a page.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!: The new Norn design◊ for Creatures Online drew some flak from fans for being less cartoony than the previous games.
- Creatures Online as a whole recieved a lot of bile for changing many things, most notably for looking much more like a generic app game than any of the original trilogy.
- Ugly Cute: Grendels, to some.
- Ettins too, depending on whether you find the pale dreadlocks, dark featureless eyes and lack of nostrils creepily cute or just plain creepy.
YMMV / Creatures