- Accidental Innuendo: The developers managed to sneak one in Penny's dialogue, at least on the earlier version.Penny: I'm still at the lab. Gross... did you hear that? This keyboard has serious issues. The 'G' key made a squishy sound each time I press down on it.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Penny and Ian may be worried for Mark's feelings, but forcefully convincing him that Alex is too good for him, right after they become aware of some sign that Mark's crush isn't so unrequited after all, makes their intentions questionable.
- Awesome Music: Using Pansy Division's "Luv Luv Luv" as the Main Menu music.
- Base-Breaking Character: You'll either find Penny's snark hilarious and the best part of the game, or overbearing, creepy annoying. How bad or good her attitude is also depends on scenes.
- Harsher in Hindsight: At first, Ian just seems annoying by showing disapproval in EVERY other guy Mark pursues, but it's not until playing Ian's route that you realize it's because Ian is in love with Mark and is too afraid to lose their friendship to tell him.
- Ho Yay: Mark and Ian.
- The guy in the gym dressing room joking about his friend's penis size.
- Informed Attractiveness: Everyone admits Alex's looks is swoonsome.
- Mood Whiplash: The game overall is pretty light-hearted and comical, even in the worst of times, and then your goldfish commands you to kill your roommates.
- Similarly, the bad ending to Amos' route has Mark end up marrying someone he doesn't love, eventually getting divorced and losing his home and children. The final CG is him sitting alone in a dark office, looking dejected.
- The Spock: Alex is proud of his conscience and composure.
- Squick: Ian's reaction to Mark telling him what he dreamed about.
- What an Idiot!: Ian, flirting with a Jail Bait, because she had a belly tattoo, and "you have to be in your twenties to know that band". To quote a fan criticism: since nobody ever listens to any music outside of the years they were born, right? Right.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: Teaching anatomy. And Alex does review his anatomy lessons on Mark as his boyfriend.
- The Woobie: Alex because of Graham. Made Player Punch if you realize that it was because of your relationship with him.
- Edwina, also because of Graham.
- Ian in any other route other than his own. If you know that he is in love with Mark.
YMMV / Coming Out On Top