- He Really Can Act: Admittedly, John C. Reilly is a very talented actor in and of himself, but this series deserves a special credit: it takes a fantastically talented actor to pull off the...giftedly awkward Dr. Steve Brule with a straight face and not ruin every take in either confusion or hysterics.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- Steve's pruppet nightmare in "Fear".
- Steve's mother, Doris Pringle. She poisoned Steve as a child and planned to kill him and his father and bury them under the house so they'd stay with her.
- The first half of Planes in which Steve inadvertently causes a plane to crash, killing new co-host Linda Barrelli. He finds her charred body in the wreck, and attempts to drive her to the hospital. In the process, he accidentally smashes her against the trunk. This is all shown on screen. With sound effects.
- The worst part is that he claims later that Linda died in his car... she was alive for all that...
- "Children," the entire episode. A special shout out to Mobin's corpse and the "day care."
- Brown's cameo in "Crime," full stop. "I've hurt a lot of people..."
- Wayne Skyler dies of his long illness while helplessly watching Steve and Jan in the bathtub having an affair on his security cameras
- The Scott Clam bit from "Cars," coupled with the music is pretty unnerving, but it's topped off with a Jump Scare at the beginning and end of it, using a scary edited picture of Scott's face and a loud, hellish sound.
- Almost anything Hippie Joel does is this.
- Same goes for Brown.
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: Oh, for Pete's sake, this is Tim & Eric we're talking about.
- The Woobie: Dr. Brule himself, in a big way.
YMMV / Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule