- Badass Decay: As the Godfather, though no fault of his own. It was when the Parent Television Council started cracking down on inappropriate material that really neutered him.
- Broken Base: His inclusion into the WWE Hall of Fame as The Godfather. While some do think he was over enough in his peak to warrant an entrance, others feel a simple shtick such as a Godfather is undeserving.
- Ham and Cheese: Wright did at least seem to enjoy himself as Papa Shango.
- Narm: A wrestling voodoo man which used his magic to torture his foes by making them vomit and bleed just comes across as goofy and as such, didn't really get over with audiences like they wanted it to.
- Nightmare Fuel: That said, there were children who were scared of him, imagine a lumbering giant with skull face paint, carrying around a skull and making wrestlers and personalities sick. Yea, it's easy to see why they were terrified.
- His theme song is creepy and definitely fits his character.
- Older Than They Think: Bray Wyatt popularized carrying a lantern to the ring with him, but Papa Shango did that back in his day.
- So Bad, It's Good: How some people view Papa Shango.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: There is a class of people who thought the Papa Shango gimmick would have gotten over better ala The Undertaker if they gotten a better wrestler for the role rather than one with limited skill like Wright was.
YMMV / Charles Wright