- Anvilicious: Furious' lecture on the dynamics of property value.
- Harsher in Hindsight:
- Lloyd Avery II and Dedrick D. Gobert, who played the Triggerman and Dooky, a Crips member, were both brutally murdered in 2005 and 1994, respectively. Worse, both of the circumstances of their deaths mirror that of their characters; while the former was imprisoned for a double homicide when he was killed, the latter was killed by a gang member.
- This wouldn't be the last time Angela Bassett and Laurence Fishburne would have a rocky marriage.
- It Was His Sled: Ricky is killed in a drive-by.
- Signature Scene: Ricky's death.
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: "One out of every twenty-one Black American males will be murdered in their lifetime", followed by "Most will die at the hands of another Black male." All this is played over the sounds of arguing, gunshots, children screaming, and one child crying, "They shot my brother!" Cue the opening shot of a STOP sign. All of this as a note on how the Wretched Hive neighborhoods of Los Angeles have adverse effects on the impoverished African-American habitants.
- Tough Act to Follow: The film wound up being this for John Singleton. While wrote and directed several projects well into The New '10s, none of his works ever reached the same level of success. When he died in 2019, he was eulogized as the director of Boyz n the Hood.
- What an Idiot!: Ricky, you're a cool dude and all but, when guys are stalking you for a drive by shooting, that is not the time to stop and take a leak and before casually scratching your lotto card.
YMMV / Boyz n the Hood