- Accidental Innuendo: The following statement made by Wheatley, though the actual level of "accidental" is known only to the author. He's actually talking about his android body's inability to consume a bagel Chell baked for him.Wheatley: You've got the hole, and...obviously, can't actually eat it or anything, just want to point out that it's not that I don't like the look of it, it's just that, like I said before, I don't have the equipment to...
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Subverted. This is not the fanfic for an interpretation of GLaDOS as in any way well-meaning or kindly disposed towards Chell. This GLaDOS is a pitiless monster, and the story makes clear that the redeeming qualities she showed in Portal 2 were entirely thanks to Caroline, now deleted. Wheatley is shown in a sympathetic light, but with his many flaws thrown into stark relief.
- Caroline as well. It's pointed out that GLaDOS resulted in a psychopathic, homicidal, insane A.I. But they started with Caroline.
- Nightmare Fuel: Take all the Nightmare Fuel of the previous Portal games and let it simmer gently in memory. Chell is in many ways a Shell-Shocked Veteran of the Testing Facility, still suffering severe PTSD.
- Ron the Death Eater: GLaDOS is treated a lot less sympathetically than other fics here - it is mentioned that she spends a lot of time trying to eliminate Caroline from her systems, rejecting any humanity within her.
- The Woobie: Wheatley, oh heavens Wheatley. Fresh from 300 years of entropy in Aperture Labs and four years in cripplingly boring orbit, he arrives in Eaden, set to fail at everything he sets his hand to, from making bread to just being a decent person. He's crippled with constant self-doubt and self-loathing, feels terribly out of place among humans, and his backstory reveals that he was just an ordinary, perfectly innocent Aperture Science employee who was abducted, tortured, and then rendered immortal so the scientists could try and save their own skins — and he was programmed to have terrible ideas and never recognize them as such. Profound Woobiedom.
- Chell, too, given how massively traumatized she is from the testing facility. Even four years later, she still has violent nightmares, plus it took her months to adapt to something resembling normalcy. Then she gets dragged back There. Twice.
YMMV / Blue Sky