- Catharsis Factor: The older waterbenders standing up to Hama, and Katara finally killing her.
- Heartwarming Moments: Despite the bleakness of the fanfic, there are several rays of sunshine.
- The remnants of the Southern waterbenders who were captured long ago are freed from the prison and become Katara's guardians and teachers after Hama's death.
- Despite being abused by Hama during her time in the prison, Katara still thinks about releasing the other prisoners when they finally escape from their cage.
- The Southern waterbenders returning home.
- Nightmare Fuel: The description of Hama bloodbending Katara.
- Even if Hama had it coming, Katara using bloodbending against her to kill her.
- Tear Jerker: Seeing how bitter Katara has become after 4 years locked up in the waterbender prison.
- Sokka mentally beating himself up over losing Katara to the Fire Nation.
- Of the happy variety, Gran-Gran seeing the stolen Fire Nation ship propelled by waterbending and realizing that her friends and her granddaughter are coming home.
- The Woobie: Katara. Though she could fall under Jerkass Woobie for her resentment of Sokka at the end.