- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: Between the bleak setting, mentally screwed up characters, and the ending involving Marceline dying and Finn getting recaptured, it's no wonder why many consider this story depressing. The add-on story does alleviate this just a little, but there's honestly no guarantee.
- Fridge Brilliance: Coupled with a bit of Fridge Horror; this version of Marceline is way more messed-up than her canon self. Part of that is just the Darker and Edgier tone, but note that, when she talks about her past, we hear no mention of Simon Petrikov. This means that, in addition to everything else, she was probably left to survive in the aftermath of the Mushroom War on her own. No wonder she has so many issues.
- Ron the Death Eater: Princess Bubblegum is way more psycho than in canon.
- In a way, the entire land of Ooo gets this. While it probably would be a rather darker place without Finn protecting it, he can only solve a few problems at once and most of the time it manages just fine with the others. Here, however, it is an utterly dystopian Wretched Hive.
- Tear Jerker: There are several.
- The Woobie: Oh for the love of Gob! It's Finn!
YMMV / Be My Escape