- Jerkass Woobie: Sure Jade was a mildly unpleasant Alpha Bitch, but she didn't deserve to be murdered by someone she very clearly trusted.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character:
- In the comic Jade Nguyen is one of the most dangerous killers in the world, and especially known for her skills as a Master Poisoner. One would think that this makes her the perfect fit to join Kobra as an Evil Former Friend but instead shes killed by Rip in the flashbacks, after showing neither any strong inclination towards villainy nor skill with poisons.
- Richard Dragon also lacks development in this movie. We see Bruce breaking up with his girlfriend, Shiva in her crime boss position, and Ben teaching one of his students, plus we hear dialogue about Bruce's dead parents, Bruce's business, and Ben's crime-ridden neighbourhood, but we never get any sense of where Richard is from, who his family are, or where he lives, and we never see him interact with his colleagues at the spy agency he works for. We don't get much context for his existence.
- Unexpected Character: When promotional stills and clips showed an Asian woman with a similar appearance to Lady Shiva among O-Senseis students, most believed that it was Shivas sister Carolyn, but instead it turned out to be Jade Nguyen/Cheshire, who has only a vague connection to any of the other characters in the film and is better known for being a Master Poisoner than a martial artist.
- Win the Crowd: Batman movies are commonplace, but the utilization of martial arts, as well as being a 1970s period piece, made many people interested.
YMMV / Batman: Soul of the Dragon