- Broken Base: His victory Kevin Randleman. Open the question of whether the decision was right and receive Internet Backdraft. To put it simple, most of people believe that Randleman controlled the entire fight and did enough damage to win the decision. Other think that Rutten did outstrike him from the bottom when Radleman's initial attacks died out, but that it was not enough to judge Rutten as the winner. And finally, the smallest group believes few that Rutten's body kick at the end and activity under Randleman legitimately made him rightly the winner. Anyways, debate is served.
- Crazy Awesome: The self-defense instructional.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Both in Japan and United States.
- Magnificent Bastard: He started as a one-dimensional Thai boxer in Pancrase, but after his re-training and personal evolution, he not only remained as the best striker at the promotion, but also become a grappler who could laugh at their faces. The moment in which he showed his Bas Rutten Neck Crank to the world was his final crowning moment of magnificence.
- Memetic Badass: Some fans believe jokingly that "Bas" is short for "Badass".
YMMV / Bas Rutten