- Critical Dissonance: It has been received negativity by critics from The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, Daily Mirror and The Sun but is well received by the general audience.
- Fridge Horror:
- When Pickwell saves the school from bankruptcy in the Series 2 finale, it is with money left to her by her German consort the Beast of Bergendorf. Specifically "the gold he stashed in Switzerland". That's right. Abbey Grove is now financed with Nazi Gold. Though this is lessened slightly by Fraser losing it at all by investing it in his Dolce and Gabanter clothing range at the start of Series 3.
- In the School Trip episode, fifteen-year-old Chantelle mentions having been dumped by her boyfriend Finley after he told her he loved her so she would sleep with him. Later on, we find out that Rosies blind date - who is explicitly said to be 23 - is none other than Finley himself. This means that, unless he was lying on his dating profile (unlikely, judging from his appearance and the fact that he drives a car), Finley committed statutory rape on Chantelle. He is never shown getting in trouble for this.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: After faking her death, Ms Pickwell reexamined her life, discarded her killjoy tendencies and became the bride of Satan.
- Jerkass Woobie:
- Alfie may be selfish and inconsiderate at times, but he is constantly treated like shit by the staff and his students.
- Frank Grayson is revealed to be one, once it's revealed in the episode "Exams" that his mother neglects him and blames him for driving his father away which results in him being pushed aside in favour of her pet dog, Coco.
- Memetic Mutation: "ILLEGAL, CHANTELLE."
- Nightmare Fuel: Alfie's face after diving in due to his allergy to chlorine, is not pleasant to say the least.
- Tear Jerker: The ending to Series 3, especially when Alfie, alone in the classroom, bursts into tears after viewing the slideshow the kids left for him.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Pickwell is mistaken for a lad when she overdoes "it with her make-up and her suit, and her dick" to impress Mr Humpage and get a job at Middleton House.
YMMV / Bad Education