- Awesome Music: The title track to the movie; play that song on your first day of classes, and it's gonna be a good semester. "Dead Man's Party" by Oingo Boingo also qualifies.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: A guy in his upper 60s going to college? That's nothing; the 2015 documentary Clarence featured a guy in his mid 80s going to college for the first time.
- Narm Charm: The guy pulling off the Triple Lindy dive is so obviously not Rodney, that it's actually kind of funny.
- Retroactive Recognition: The guy who Thorton catches his wife with should look familiar to Star Trek fans.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: At first glance, the film might look like a funny family comedy about an old man (played by Rodney Dangerfield) who goes back to college. It isn't rated PG-13 for nothing.
YMMV / Back to School