- Awesome Art: Kev Walker is back as the main artist of the book and provides high quality drawings, and the covers by Francesco Mattina are great and use chiaroscuro to fit the dark tone of the book.
- Critical Dissonance: Even through big sites gave it great reviews, with IGN stating that Undercover is "every bit as much a satire of contemporary pop culture as Avengers Arena", it had one of the worst sales of all Marvel NOW!! and was cancelled at #10, when original plan assumed at least 12 issues, after almost getting scrapped at #6. Additionally, the readers that were apprehensive about Avengers Arena in the first place panned it as much as they did Arena.
- Die for Our Ship: A lot of Avengers Academy fans utterly despise Anachronism because of all the Ship Tease between him and Hazmat, especially given that Hazmat lost her boyfriend in the previous miniseries.
- Fanon Discontinuity: Just like Arena, many fans have declared this book to be non-canon. Runaways and Academy fans especially despise it.
- Fridge Brilliance: It makes sense that Death Locket is the only one who permanently switched sides; unlike the others, she had no experience heroing before being thrown in the arena, has to learn her powers on the fly, gets taken control of, is forced to kill her love interest, and has major PTSD from the experience. No wonder she makes a FaceHeel Turn.
- Harsher in Hindsight: In Rainbow Rowell's Runaways, Nico reveals that all of the magical training she did with Alex in Undercover used up a lot of her powerful spells, leaving her so hard up for magical power that she has to renegotiate her deal with the Staff of One.
- Sequelitis: Even people who liked Arena are divided at best on Undercover.
- Ship Tease: Hazmat and Anachronism.
- Tainted by the Preview: A lot of readers were not happy with Chase and Nico's dialogue, and especially weren't happy with Chase's new look.
- WTH, Costuming Department?:
- Chase's new look (the mohawk) hasn't been well received.
- Nico's design has been hated even more.
YMMV / Avengers Undercover