- Americans Hate Tingle: The series has gotten a much more negative response to the Christian and Jews in the West for appropriating and misrepresenting Judaism and Christianity.
- Crazy Is Cool: Rosiel takes the cake. He had quite a different way of treating things before he went nuts. Although arguably huge parts of the principal cast are this.
- Draco in Leather Pants: The author was not really pleased that Yaoi Fangirls were willing to excuse any atrocity Sevothtarte committed. Only after the character's true gender was revealed did the fans turn on her, despite that the same chapter also gave a Rape as Drama Freudian Excuse for her actions.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Due to the wide variety of characters, quite a lot. Katou is a notable example. Three Heroic Sacrifices aren't worth nothing, you know?
- Esoteric Happy Ending: Several of the main characters manage to survive the series, but Kato remains dead. And with Kira dead, too, Kato's murder will likely not be solved. Setsuna and Sara are still siblings, so society, friends and family will still try to keep them apart and they'll be fugitives for life. Heaven and Hell's layers are still either destroyed or floating aimlessly around, and Adam Kadamon, as well as the Creator, are gone, too.
- Ho Yay: Has its own page.
- Jerkass Woobie: Sevothtarte. The terrifying and ruthless leader is responsible for many deaths and many of the machinations that led to Heaven being such a Crapsack World but...Layla put on the mask and adapted her ruthless attitude after she was viciously gang raped by her colleagues with her other colleagues unwilling to help her and even Victim-Blaming her over her rapists. And then, after her identity was outed to everyone, Sandalphon rapes her into insanity until she commits suicide to be Together in Death with Nidhogg. While her actions can't be excused, it's not hard to see just what tipped her over the deep end.
- Squick: Being the Official Couple doesn't make it any less queasy for some readers that Setsuna and Sara are biological siblings.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Kira fits the description to a T.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: A frequent complaint from the series' detractors. Kaori Yuki has done her research in creating a dark fantasy world loosely based on Christian Mysticism filled with lovable extras, epic battles, Awesome Art and pretty people who often go at least half-naked. So why why why are we spending so many pages watching Setsuna Wangst over his desperate need to stick it in his sister? And would she please either step up to the plate or at least stand still long enough for the heroes to rescue her so we can get back to saving the world already?
- The Un-Twist: Sevothtarte is actually Layla. Hints of it were dropped very early on and said hints only became blatantly obvious as the story proceeded.
YMMV / Angel Sanctuary