- Award Snub: In this guest appearance, some say Sarah Michelle Gellar gave her best work in the entire Buffyverse! And they call foul she didn't get an Emmy nomination for it.
- Fanon: A lot of fans like to imagine that after Buffy died and was resurrected in Season 6, she now remembers everything from the alternate day - and that's what she and Angel talked about in the off-screen meeting they had.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: Cordelia's joke that she's good for helping Angel rid the world of evil or "international superstardom" becomes much sadder once "Birthday" shows that she would have gotten her big break had she not met Angel in Los Angeles, and Angel would have been unable to cope without her.
- Harsher in Hindsight:
- Angel offered to become a vampire again to The Powers That Be to protect Buffy from dying in battle. Cue Buffy season 5 finale, "The Gift"...
- The Mohra was sent to take a warrior from the cause. Angel realises this is not literal; the Mohra making him human so he can't fight evil. This becomes even sadder as of the next episode with Doyle's Heroic Sacrifice.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Buffy refers to the demon in the sewers as a Mutant Ninja Demon Thing. Sarah Michelle Gellar would later voice April O'Neil in TMNT.
YMMV / Angel S01 E08 "I Will Remember You"