- Heartwarming Moments: After James wakes up, his family gather around him, hoping for him to respond to Doctor Milton's tests. When he does, what follows is one of the few moments of joy displayed in the film.
- Later, when James is given an AAC computer to translate his eye movements into words on the screen, one of the first things he tells Belle is that he forgives her. After three years of their mother holding her responsible for his condition and Belle blaming herself for it, James is telling her to stop feeling guilty.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- Belle's nightmares, including a demonic apparition of her brother pointing a shotgun at her.James: Hey sis! [BLAM!]
- The scene where Doctor Milton is continuing his treatment of James alone. First, he notices some flies hovering about the room. Then, as he stops bothering with them and turns to resume his work, he turns James over on his side, to find a nest of maggots in the bed. The flies then swarm the doctor attacking him, eventually entering his body through his open mouth as he tries to scream for help. It all turns out to be an apparition the spirit has put on him, but still... [shivers]]
- Belle's nightmares, including a demonic apparition of her brother pointing a shotgun at her.
- Overshadowed by Controversy: Amityville: The Awakening became mostly known (and unfairly mocked) over the fact it was constantly shifted from its release dates and limited screenings that lead to it only making back $742 over its 7.7 million budget in the US Box Office. Most of the bile was aimed at the film's distributors though, and the fact the limited theatrical release happened smack dab during the Harvey Weinstein scandal added fuel to the fire.
- Retroactive Recognition: MonsterVerse fans may recognise Thomas Mann as Terrence.
- So Okay, It's Average: The major form of response to the movie. Kinder reviews say that it's the best one in the franchise since Amityville 3-D.
- Squick: In one of Belle's nightmares, she goes down the stairs of the house to check on James, only to find their mother is already in the room, naked and being embraced by the demonic version of her brother.
YMMV / Amityville: The Awakening