- Awesome Music: Joseph S. DeBeasi's pounding tribal score is an excellent compliment to all the beautiful prehistoric Scenery Porn.
- Spiritual Adaptation:
- People on the comments for the trailer have said that it's the closest we'd get to an adaptation of Far Cry Primal, considering that both works feature a prehistoric setting, their dialog consists of a subtitled constructed primitive dialect, and also in the latter video game the first beast you tame is a wolf.
- It could also be considered as the serious, live-action version of The Good Dinosaur, both films even have a similar scene in which the main characters bond while spending the night on a cave.
- Spiritual Successor: To Quest for Fire: Whereas the first has prehistoric Humanity learns to create fire; this film is about Humanity gaining a new friend to help them survive and prosper.
- Tear Jerker: Watching Tau desperately calling to his son after he falls off the cliff in the beginning is incredibly heartbreaking, especially when it's implied that he kept calling to him for several hours in an attempt to see if he was still alive.
- Viewer Species Confusion: The big cat resembling a Machairodus is actually a cave lion. With saber teeth.
YMMV / Alpha (2018)