- Complete Monster: Sheriff William "Billy" Holme & Gargarensis. See those pages for details.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The hardcover artbook that comes with the Collector's Edition of III showed artwork for a IV and a V, the former depicting a Vietnam-era American soldier, and the latter depicting a Space Marine. After the closure of Ensemble Studios, in 2017, it was announced that the real 4th entry would be developed by Relic Entertainment, who develop the Dawn of War games, which is a license of Warhammer 40,000, one of the most prominent depictions of the Space Marine genre.
- Most Annoying Sound:I need wood! I need wood! I need wood! I need wood! I need wood! I need wood! I need wood!You're being attacked!Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... HA!Start the game already! Start the game already! (though this one is on purpose)
- Only the Creator Does It Right: Age of Empires Online was frequently accused of this, despite the development team involving a lot of ex-Ensemble staff. Played straight with the HD version of AOE 2 and its expansions, as a faction of purists (especially on the competitive scene) stick only to the original Conquerers, though the HD expansions have been getting more acceptance among competitive players in recent years.
- Tear Jerker: The sound the elephants make when they die.