- Hilarious in Hindsight: It becomes even harder to take Adrift seriously when you realize that an episode of King of the Hill used the exact same plot as the movie, except the setup was played for its inherent comedic value rather than drama.
- Idiot Plot: The plot only happens, because none of the characters uses buoyancy for their advantage nor the fact there is enough of them to easily create a lift. Should they do any of that, they would be out of water in less than 10 seconds.
- Snark Bait: Pretty much a given when dealing with a massive Idiot Plot that takes itself completely seriously.
- Tear Jerker:
- James getting progressively worse as Adrift goes along and his wife singing "Frère Jacques" softly —the way he did for her when she was in a catatonic state of panic— after he dies. Especially painful because he was the only halfway smart guy in the film before he got that crack on the skull.
- James telling his wife not to cry.
- Constantly having to see baby Sarah cry out for hunger after being left alone on the boat after the stupid decisions everyone did. Add the fact she's left behind again over the stupid Gainax Ending.
- What an Idiot!: The people on the boat, both in the movie and in real life.
YMMV / Adrift