- Ensemble Dark Horse: Lightning Bolt, Cloud Kicker, and Medley. Black Star (aka Blake) even got his own spin-off story.
- Faux Symbolism:
- Talisman's cutie mark has two angelic wings.
- Mirage squadron's unit number, 2nd Air Division, 179th Tactical Pegasus Squadron. These numbers refer to September 17, 2011, when the second season of the show began airing.
- Harsher in Hindsight: In the epilogue of The Equestrian War, Applejack tells Firefly that her parents are dead as well.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The prologue of Ace Combat: Wings of Unity has Princess Celestia tell Princess Luna that she had a vision regarding Aurora's return. Fast forward to the recent finale of Season 4, and Luna tells Celestia almost the exact same thing regarding Tirek's return. The prologue was posted on July 2, 2013, almost one year ahead of the episode!
- Moral Event Horizon:
- In The Equestrian War;
- General Silverbeak appeared to have crossed it by suggesting a plan to kidnap little fillies and using them as hostages in the early phase of the war. It is revealed in chapter 14 that it was actually Red Cyclone's idea.
- Gilda's betrayal and her brutal beating of Rainbow Dash in chapter 11.
- In Wings of Unity;
- Aurora's ambition to become an alicorn led her to defying the rules of natural order and creating artificial wings that she intended to transplant into her body. While Princess Celestia stopped her, she eventually succeeded, this time using some of her Exile comrades as experiments...
- Out of all the Reapers, Trickster is the one that fights the most dirty. He went as far as kicking Rainbow Dash in between her legs when she was immobilized and breaking Medley's arm in chapter 14. If the author's words are to be believed, however, he did not showed his worst side yet...
- In The Equestrian War;
- Nightmare Fuel:
Orgoi: (after spitting the pegasus' head from his mouth) Disgusting...
- The second chapter of Wings of Unity has the heroines discuss how Aurora managed to get her wings. She got them by combining magic and alchemy, or, to put it bluntly, using the blood and bones of her fellow Exiles, be it those who died or would die soon.
- And now they have dragons with access to stealth technology and can use it ambush the heroes.
- As awesome as the Princesses wiping out an Exile army with their magic in Chapter 8 was, their targets all died VERY painful deaths. There's a reason Celestia and Luna only get involved personally if there's no other choice. (Now, imagine that they are forced to turn that power on a city full of civilians...like the city the Exiles have built, for instance.)
- The horrific, grim scenery and the sight of wounded or dying ponies is very much this for the Cutie Mark Crusaders in chapter 10b. They try to ignore it, but Dinky is still disturbed by it.
- Especially since the Crusaders helped Firecracker Burst kill some Exiles themselves. One soldier from a tank they sabotaged moans in agony from horrible burns before dying... right in front of them.
- Firecracker Burst's... enthusiasm for using her fire magic on the Exiles is rather unnerving, especially given how she laughs her head off among all the screaming.
- Orgoi's display of power in chapter 11a is terrifying. Not only he uses his mist to conceal his movements, he also kills his enemies in a variety of brutal ways, including crushing a frozen flier into tiny, bloody pieces, impaling another one with very sharp icicles and biting a frozen pegasus' head clean off! He then spits it out and throws the frozen body to the ground, where it shatters. All of this is done to the horror of ponies from Equestrian Allied Forces, including Firefly and Derpy.
- Slow-Paced Beginning: Both main stories start rather slowly, but as they progress, they reveal several twists and include nicely written fight scenes. The spin-off goes the same way, even outclassing the first story in latter factor sometimes.
- The Woobie: Every main heroine at some point, but especially Derpy.
- Cloud Kicker in chapter 15 of The Equestrian War as well.
- Firefly had a really rough life to say the least.
- Pearl Eyes in Wings of Unity; despite being one of the Exiles, she is definitely the most sympathetic of them so far.
YMMV / Ace Combat: Equestria Chronicles