- Genius Bonus: Many of the game's songs are named for quotations from the Enûma Eli, a Mesopotamian creation text that features prominently the water deity Apsû/Abzû. The text also shares some of the game's themes, specifically the sacred and fertile nature of water and children rebelling against their creator(s).
- It's Short, So It Sucks!: The game is around 2-3 hours long, and whether or not this trope applies really depends on who you ask.
- Harsher in Hindsight: When swimming to the surface, you can see triangle-like 'floating rocks' in the sky. If they are anything like their water counterparts, how would the land/sky look like, if those were not there?
- Nightmare Fuel: The deep sea section can be considered this for some, especially the presence of the pyramid mines which are the first thing that can hurt you. The entire section inside the master pyramid is definitely this, with its ominous music, claustrophobic setting, and creepy red lighting.
- Any open ocean sections are probably this for Thalassophobes.
- Player Punch: The Great White Shark takes a bullet for you in return for your past kindness and dies. Fortunately, you manage to bring it back to life in the final chapter.
YMMV / ABZ█