- Alternate Character Interpretation: Saffron. Some see her as a figure who stays with her abusive mother not out of one-sided love but due to a fear of going it alone in the world and opting to take her mother's abuse in exchange for Edina supporting her financially.
- Although she did move out for a while against her mother's wishes, and it is later revealed that she is legally the owner of Edina's incredibly expensive house.
- Also, in the episodes where Saffy considers moving into the residential halls at the university, Edina really doesn't want her to move out.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Edina is vapid, but she's got an impressive job and is rich, so she can't be as stupid as she acts. Perhaps she's one?
- Crosses the Line Twice: Really, all of Edina and Pat's drunken antics and the effect it has on their lives and loved ones would be the stuff of soap operas if it weren't overdone to the point of absurdity.
- Drinking Game: A very simple one. Whenever someone takes a drink, you take a drink. See you in the hospital.
- Ear Worm: "Wheel's on fire... rolling down the rooooooooooooooooooooooooad..."
- Jerkass Woobie: Patsy. Several episodes have revealed that her mother was a selfish bitch who ignored Patsy throughout childhood and adulthood and has a sister who has made repeated attempts to murder her.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Bubble was seen wearing a Teletubbies inspired dress. She would later work in the 2015 reboot years later.
- Hollywood Pudgy: Everyone treats Edina like she's grossly overweight (even Edina herself, as she has body image issues) but she actually has an average build.
- Justified as Edina works in a fashion and media orientated industry, from whence this trope was born in the first place.
- Les Yay: Between Eddie and Patsy. Oh so much.
- They even get married when they go to New York.
- Also between Saffy and Titicaca/Sarah.
- Moral Event Horizon: Patsy actually once sold Saffron into slavery. Though it is uncertain how much of that episode was a Mushroom Samba.
- A more literal example in the finale: Edina and Patsy do all sorts of horrible things to Saffron over the years, who suffers silently as a Love Martyr until the final special, which has Edina striking her granddaughter. Which is enough to get Saffron to disown her mother and force her and Patsy out of the house, with the reveal that Saffron is the real owner of the house (due to Saffron's dad putting the deed to the house in Saffron's name so that she couldn't be kicked out by her asshole mother). Becomes subverted in the 2012 specials when its revealed Saffron at some point forgave her mother for this and has let her move back into the house, although this can still be considered a major MEH by fans.
- Retroactive Recognition: Natascha McElhone, credited under her real surname "Taylor", has a bit part as an art gallery assistant in "Death".
YMMV / Absolutely Fabulous