- Acceptable Political Targets: The whole "President Columbia" plotline. A long time ago Equestria used to have presidents, before the country was forced to choose between two horrible candidates, no one voted and the Princesses took over.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Used for a lot of one off characters to make them more interesting and fit into the world Equestria has become. One good example is Limestone Pie being a crackhead constantly on the search for more cocaine.
- Author's Saving Throw: After recieving some flak for too much glossing over of scenes in Gift of the Maud Pie, On Your Marks opened with Pinkie Pie and totallynotabrony talking about the importance of characters and letting them show off their uniqueness.
- Awesome Ego: Plymouth Valiant. The guy never second guesses his plans, never questions his superiority to everyone, and has the ability to back it all up. Even when he's finally murdered he decides, rather than pleading for his life, to insult his murderernote for the Narm of being bolted to a wall crucifix style.
- Catharsis Factor: Have you ever been annoyed by a villain or jerk in an episode and wish you could just punch them? Odds are, they die horribly or are violently maimed in this story.
- Draco in Leather Pants: The phrase, "Valiant did nothing wrong" has been seen repeatedly both in the comments and In-Universe. The author has brought up how Twilight (and many others) would consider this like saying, "Hitler was completely innocent."
YMMV / A Dream