- Jerkass Woobie:
- Robert may be a prima donna who engages in a good bit of Comedic Sociopathy, but it's easy to feel bad for him given Chris bluntly tells him he's the worst actor in the troupe, he screws him out of the coveted lead role, cruelly mocking his weight in doing so, and once he finally gets to play the part, the production completely dissolved giving him only a short amount of time to do so.
- Chris is at his very worst here, acting like a total ass to Robert, and being eager to leave all of his friends behind without a shred of guilt. But once he sees how his actions have hurt all of them, he becomes horrified at his actions, and tries to set things as right as they can be.
- Sequelitis: While still funny and well done, a few viewers have noted that this production wasn't up to the same standard of The Play That Goes Wrong and Peter Pan Goes Wrong, with it lacking the same laugh a minute nature, and that the format works much better with a live audience.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: Admit it, Derek Jacobi starring in A Christmas Carol sounds awesome. Thankfully, he has recorded a version prior to this.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: After Chris has a Heel Realization and gives Robert the part of Scrooge, Chris essentially takes it over again once the crew goes off, remaining in character to finish off their production. It might've been nicer to have Robert take on this role, allowing him to play Scrooge a little bit longer than he did.
- The Woobie:
- Not only is Max led to believe that Sandra's going to break up with him, but then gets tricked into thinking she's been cheating on him with Chris. Thankfully he realizes both of these statements are false and ends the show now engaged to her.
- Derek Jacobi is just trying to perform the role of Scrooge, something that he evidently very much wants to do, before repeatedly being subdued by a group of amateurs and having the part stolen. Though he does repent and the end and seems to have made peace with the crew.
YMMV / A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong