The first event took place on February 2015, replacing Elimination Chamber. With the brand split, it became a Raw-exclusive event in 2017 and SmackDown-exclusive in 2018 before every PPV became dual-branded. It would later become a March event after the reinstatement of Elimination Chamber.
This pay-per-view event provides examples of:
- Aborted Arc: Goldust vs. Stardust in the 2015 edition. That match is the one everyone was most excited for at that year's Fastlane. Then the match, for whatever reason, turned out to be awful (complete with botched pin), and the feud was thrown out.
- The Bad Guys Win:
- In 2015 Fastlane The Authority defeated Dolph Ziggler, Ryback and Erick Rowan. Tyson Kidd and Cesaro defeated The Usos and wins the WWE Tag Team Champions. Nikki Bella defeated Paige and retains the WWE Divas Champion. Bad News Barrett defeated Dean Ambrose by disqualification and retains the WWE Intercontinental Champion. Rusev defeated John Cena and retains the WWE United States Champion.
- In 2016 Fastlane Kevin Owens defeated Dolph Ziggler and retains the WWE Intercontinental Champion.Charlotte Flair defeated Brie Bella and retains the WWE Divas Champion. Curtis Axel defeated R Truth.
- In 2017 Fastlane Samoa Joe defeated Sami Zayn. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson defeated Enzo and Cass and retains the WWE Raw Tag Team Champions. Neville defeated Jack Gallagher and retains the WWE Cruiserweight Champion.
- In 2018 Fastlane Natalya and Carmella defeated Becky Lynch and Naomi.
- In 2019 Fastlane The Bar defeated Kofi Kingston in a handicap match. The Revival defeated Bobby Roode & Chad Gable and Ricochet & Aleister Black and retains the WWE Raw Tag Team Champions. Samoa Joe defeated R Truth, Andrade "Cien" Almas and Rey Mysterio in a fatal four way match and retains the WWE United States Champion. Daniel Bryan defeated Kevin Owens and Mustafa Ali in a triple thread match and retains the WWE Champion.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: How Goldberg won the Universal Championship from Kevin Owens at the 2017 event: "One Spear, one Jackhammer, 1-2-3" as soon as the bell rang, just as he had predicted.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Kevin Owens had reigned as WWE Universal Champion for 189 days, until Goldberg defeated him for the Universal Championship at the 2017 event, with a distraction from Chris Jericho.
- Invincible Villain: From 2015 to 2017, Charlotte has never lost in a singles match on PPV. This finally comes to an end on Fastlane 2017 where she lost to Bayley.
- Meaningful Name: Typically, this Pay-Per-View is used to set up matches and feuds that will take place at WrestleMania. Which means doing well at this Pay-Per-View puts you in the fast lane on the road to WrestleMania.
- Oh, Crap!: At the 2018 event, Charlotte Flair had just won a hard-fought title challenge against Ruby Riott and stood tall and proud in the ring, taking in the glory and victory... and then Asuka's entrance theme hit and the all-feared Women's Royal Rumble winner stepped into the ring to challenge Charlotte to a title match at WrestleMania 34. Charlotte's facial expression could best be described as resignation to being devoured.
- Xanatos Gambit: Paul Heyman analyzed this beautifully during his guest appearance at the 2017 edition, with regards to the Universal Championship match between Kevin Owens and Goldberg, his client, Brock Lesnars eventual opponent at WrestleMania 33.
- Heyman: My client wins tonight.