Pedro Morales (b. 1942) is a retired Puerto Rican Professional Wrestler who competed from the 1950s into 1987. He is best known for his work in WWE, where he was the fourth WWE World Heavyweight Champion. He also competed for All Japan Pro Wrestling, the AWA, Stampede Wrestling and various National Wrestling Alliance territories. He was WWE's first Triple Crown Champion, holding the WWE World Heavyweight Title once, the WWE Intercontinental Heavyweight Title twice (first person to do that, in fact) and the WWE World Tag Team Title once with Bob Backlund. In 1972, Pro Wrestling Illustrated named him "Wrestler of the Year." In 1995, he was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
"Pedro Morales' Tropes":
- Always Second Best: During his career, he could never get fans to forget about Bruno Sammartino, but today he's better appreciated.
- Arch-Enemy: Don Muraco
- As Himself: In the 1974 film The Wrestler.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 1995.
- Carpet of Virility: but not to the extent of Bruno's
- Early Installment Weirdness: He had to forfeit the WWE World Tag Team Title because it was considered improper for someone to hold more than one title. If only that still applied today.
- Face: His entire career.
- Finishing Move: Boston Crab, Caribbean Cannonball
- Good Vs Good: When he wrestled Bruno.
- How Much More Can He Take?: He and Bruno Sammartino wrestled for 75 minutes straight, neither one managing to get the three count
- Improbable Weapon User: In the January 22, 1983 match where Muraco defeated Morales for the Intercontinental Heavyweight Title. Muraco's shirt was used as a weapon by both guys.
- Ink-Suit Actor: In Tiger Mask.
- Jobber-to-the-stars: During his 1985-1987 run in the WWF, he was used in this role ... defeating pure jobbers but — although he consistently got offense in — would always seem to lose to newcomers, including Randy Savage, Jake Roberts, Harley Race, the Honky Tonk Man and the One Man Gang. Only against Gang was Morales totally squashed.
- Signature Move: Rotating punch to the stomach, backbreaker, Caribbean Lift (running knee lift), Lariat Grande (Lariat to the back of the head in the corner), Boston crab.
- Spicy Latino
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Was intended to serve the same role to the Puerto Rican New York demographic as Sammartino had done to the Italians. While he was popular, he didnt have anywhere close to the same enormous impact as Sammartino had.
- Underwear of Power: It is only the most common outfit in wrestling
- Ur-Example: The First Triple Crown Champion in WWF, and the only one who could make that claim until Bret Hart defeated Ric Flair for the WWF title in 1992.
- Welcome to the Caribbean, Mon!: One of the most iconic Puerto Rican wrestlers, the first to win a world championship in AWA, NWA and WWF, the big three. He also did commentary at the Spanish Announcers Table