Maxwell Jacob Friedman (born on March 15, 1996) is an American professional wrestler who's currently signed with All Elite Wrestling. In addition, he's known for his runs in Major League Wrestling from 2017 to 2020, where he was a one-time World Tag Team Champion (with Richard Holliday), Combat Zone Wrestling, WrestleCircus, and AAW Wrestling. He was trained at the Create-A-Pro Wrestling Academy by Brian Myers (Curt Hawkins) and Pat Buck and went on to work for CZW, capturing the CZW Wired and CZW World Championships in his tenure there. In addition to that, he works for MLW during which he formed his own stable dubbed the Dynasty (with Richard Holliday, Hammerstone, and Aria Blake). Later on, he signed with All Elite Wrestling where he's the 'best friend' of Cody Rhodes and his Nightmare Family.
"THESE TROPES ARE BETTER THAN YOU, AND YOU KNOW IT!":
- Alternate Company Equivalent: Can sometimes be viewed as one pertaining to EC3 during his Impact run.
- The Bully: Puts down various personnel in the AEW roster namely Brandon Cutler, Tony Schiavone, Conrad Thompson etc.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Openly declares himself the 'Salt of the Earth'.
- Catchphrase: "I am better than you, and you know it!"
- Expy: Reminiscent of a younger EC3 or Ted DiBiase.
- Poisonous Friend: Trying his damn best to be in the Nightmare Family's good graces even though in reality he couldn't tolerate anyone else in the AEW roster.
- Politically Incorrect Villain:
- During an appearance on Being the Elite, he appears training alongside his butler Walter. When Walter gives him some water, MJF spits it back, clearly displeased with its quality, asking:MJF: Where'd you get this water from, Walter?! Mexico?!
- He threw out a challenge to anyone in the locker room at Beyond Wrestling's Heavy Lies the Crown. Kris Statlander answered. He initially dismissed her, saying in regards of her gimmick of being a Human Alien, "Aliens aren't real, and neither are women who can beat MJF." He finally accepted the match, which Kris won.
- During an appearance on Being the Elite, he appears training alongside his butler Walter. When Walter gives him some water, MJF spits it back, clearly displeased with its quality, asking:
- Pop-Cultural Osmosis Failure: Chris Jericho's attempt to insult him by saying that when MJF wasn't even born, Jericho was already wrestling Juventud Guerrera in WCW didn't work as intended.MJF: Who the hell is Juvi?
Jericho: Google it!
- Power Stable: In MLW, He formed the "Dynasty" with Alexander Hammerstone, Richard Holliday and Aria Blake.
- Preppy Name: "Maxwell Jacob Friedman" has to be on the running for most convoluted name in pro wrestling, but for a guy as snobby as MJF, it fits like a glove.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Is never without his fancy scarf. His merch for AEW is also a scarf that says "I can afford a real scarf".
- Slobs vs. Snobs: The theme of the Dynasty vs Hart Foundation feud. Teddy Hart took the Middleweight title formerly belonging to Upper-Class Twit MJF, MJF brought his friend Richard Holliday back to assault Hart, one tag team match later and Alex Hammerstone would make the feud 3v3.
- Tempting Fate: MJF drew #1 for the 2019 Battle Riot. Prior to the match starting, he cut a promo about how he was better than everyone and called himself "The Ultimate Fighter". Then the second entrant was introduced: Former Ultimate Fighting Championship fighter Dan "The Beast" Severn! Cue MJF looking ready to shit his tights.
- Token Evil Teammate: Among The Elite and the rest of Cody's circle of friends and allies in AEW; he's unambiguously a Heel, being a complete and utter Jerkass, but he's siding with Cody in his feud with The Inner Circle, even when presented with what seem like golden opportunities to betray him. The general consensus is that he just sees more benefit in remaining aligned with Cody for the time being and his eventual betrayal is simply a matter of time. During Cody's "if I lose then I never get another shot" title match at Full Gear, MJF threw in the towel — ostensibly to save Cody from a submission hold, but then low blowed him afterward. Needless to say, MJF's later claims that he turned on Cody because Cody only looked after himself rang hollow.
- Upper-Class Twit: He's very rich, and very much an idiot. Granted, most of the time is him being a Jerkass, but sometimes he legitimately gets himself in situations way above his head.