Duane Gill (born July 10, 1959) is an American Professional Wrestler from Baltimore, MD best known for his work in WWE as Gillberg, a rip on WCW's Goldberg. He debuted in 1990 teaming with Barry Hardy as the masked Tag Team The Lords of Darkness (Pain [Gill] and Agony [Hardy]) in the independent scene. He arrived in WWE in 1991 and spent years as a Jobber. At Survivor Series 1998, he returned as Mankind's surprise opponent in the first round of the WWE World Heavyweight Title Tournament. He was squashed, of course, but he unexpectedly caught on with the fans. He defeated Christian on the November 17, 1998 WWE Raw for the WWF World Light Heavyweight Title. He debuted in the Gillberg gimmick on the January 11, 1999 RAW. He lost the title to Essa Rios on the February 15, 2000 Sunday Night Heat. He returned again 2003 as part of The Rock's feud with Goldberg. He came back again for the 15th Anniversary Battle Royal on the December 15, 2007 Raw, and was the first one eliminated. He has also wrestled for years in the independent scene, particularly for Maryland Championship Wrestling. He retired on February 28, 2020.
Among his other in-ring achievements, The Lords of Darkness were the inaugural MEWF Tag Team Champions, he is a former NWA Jersey Light Heavyweight Champion, a former IWC (International Wrestling Cartel in Western Pennsylvania) High Stakes Champion, and he and Hardy were 2x ECPW (New Jersey) Tag Team Champions as The Executioners.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
"TV Tropes, You're First!":
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: He was inducted into the MCW Hall of Fame in 2009.
- Boisterous Weakling: Tons of enthusiasm, no real strength behind it.
- Catchphrase: "Who's First?"
- Epic Fail: Every other wrestler in the ring teamed up to throw him out as soon as he entered the ring at the Raw 15th Anniversary Battle Royal.
- Fingerless Gloves
- I Have Many Names: His own, Gillberg, Pain, Executioner #1.
- I Was Beaten by a Girl: Luna Vachon Squashed him in the gimmick's debut.
- Inverted Trope: The following would be played straight if he was Goldberg, but since he's Gillberg...
- Jobber: Despite being the longest reigning Light Heavyweight Champion in company history.
- Power Stable: Was part of The JOB Squad, with Al Snow, 2 Cold Scorpio, Bob Holly and The Blue Meanie.
- Say My Name/Crowd Song: During his entrance the crowd (and his own theme music) chants... "Giiilllberg... Giiilllberg... Giiilllberg..."
- Stylistic Suck: His entire ring entrance.
- Tag Team: The Executioners/The Lords of Darkness
- Take That!: His whole character is this to Goldberg. WWE waited until after Goldberg had suffered his first official defeat to introduce the parody.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: He won his retirement match.