(Rey) Fénix (real name unknown, born December 30, 1990) is a Masked Luchador from Mexico City, Mexico and brother to Pentagón Jr., with whom he forms the Lucha Brothers. He is also unfamiliar with the concept of gravity, or at least you'll be convinced as much if you watch him wrestle.
Fénix made his professional debut at AAA in 2011, but it was only really at Lucha Underground that he became a household name, being known as "The Man Of a Thousand Lives" and one of the premiere faces of the promotion. Coincidentally, his brother Pentagón Jr. became the other breakout star of the promotion. Ever since, Fénix has been considered one of the best Luchadores in the world and the premiere high-flier of Mexico.
Once their LU days ended, Penta and Fenix joined forces as the Lucha Brothers and tore a path of lucha righteousness across indie promotions and big ones like CMLL, Impact and MLW before landing for good over at All Elite Wrestling in 2019. The Lucha Brothers have been considered by many one of the best tag teams in the world.
Fénix isn't named after a legendary winged bird for nothing: his wrestling style is defined by almost superhuman agility and capacity to take flight on a level comparable (maybe even superior) to Rey Mysterio. And once he gets moving, it's impossible to put him down. This is why he cries out: "Ánimo!", a spanish word meaning encouragement, life and perpetual movement.
Besides AAA and AEW, he (alongside his brother) makes occasional appearances in smaller companies over North America and the world. And he flies ever higher.
- Animal Motifs: The legendary Phoenix. Living up to his namesake, Fenix flies above everyone else and always gets back up no matter how many times he's beat down.
- Arch-Enemy: No hatred is as deep and intense within the Temple walls of Lucha Underground as the one between Fenix and Mil Muertes. It has been one of the driving forces of both wrestlers' lives for all four seasons of LU. Shades of this exist between him and Catrina as well, though their relationship is a lot more complicated.
- Catchphrase: "Animo!", a spanish word referring to life and movement, fitting his airborne phoenix motifs.
- Came Back Wrong: The double whammy of coming back from the dead and being pulled forward through time (plus whatever else may have happened during the life force transition) had this effect on Fenix, turning him into a drooling, near-mindless, feral creature who didn't seem to know friend from foe. It was later revealed that this was Catrina's doing, as her possessing his life force had tainted it.
- Cool Car: Drives a Trans Am bedecked in phoenix iconography, of course the car is also known as a Pontiac Firebird.
- Combat Parkour: Fenix is notorious for being one of the best high fliers in the business, doing acrobatic and elaborate moves, often leaping off and from ringposts and ropes.
- Dark Is Evil: After he Came Back Wrong in Lucha Underground and pulled a FaceHeel Turn, Fenix started dressing in all black.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Gave Mil Muertes his first decisive loss in LU, but it only brought Muertes' wrath down upon him. Fenix was more than ready to rise up and face him again.
- Determinator: Fenix's determination borders on the superhuman, and he will never give up no matter who he is facing. Even if he is defeated, he will rise again, like his namesake. In fact, it was probably his willpower alone that allowed him to finally defeat Mil Muertes in the Grave Consequences match.
- Evil Costume Switch: Began dressing all in black after his heel turn.
- Fragile Speedster: Fenix a incredibly nimble high-flier, but not as strong or resilient as some other wrestlers. His willpower is second to none, however.
- Finishing Move: Fire Driver, later dubbed the Black Fire Driver after he Came Back Wrong.
- Light Is Good: Qualified in his early days as a face, wearing brightly colored gear.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: He was on the receiving one of these in the Grave Consequences match. Mil Muertes even ripped off his mask and bit his forehead bloody. It didn't work.
- Oh, Crap!: Going into Aztec Warfare II, Fenix had to start at #1 again, but he'd almost made it to the end from the same position in Aztec Warfare Inote and this time he was the reigning champion, giving him even more to fight for. Then the #2 was announced... Rey Mysterio Jr. Fenix's face just fell and he looked down at his championship belt like it was a child that was about to be taken away from him by social services.
- Red Baron: "The Man of a Thousand Lives" (directly contrasting Mil Muertes' "Man of a Thousand Deaths"), has also been tagged the "Bird of War". Over at AEW, Excalibur often refers to him as "Perpetual Motion Personified".
- Thememobile: Drives a Pontiac Firebird fully decked out with phoenix decals.
- Troll: Whether he's a face or heel, Fenix loves to mess with his opponents in the ring. This can include smirking as they suffer or getting them to nearly tag him in.
- Unwitting Pawn: Catrina used him in her schemes, telling him to his face that she used him as a pawn in her scheme to make Mil Muertes more powerful. Later, however, Catrina would express regret for manipulating him, though it certainly would not stop her from using him again to attain full life.
- Worthy Opponent: May be receiving this from Mil Muertes; the latter pulled a Villainous Rescue of Fenix from the monster Matanza Cueto after the monster started pounding on an already defeated Fenix. The biggest reason for the attack was as part of Muertes and Matanza's escalating feud, but after driving Matanza off, Muertes gave Fenix a look...then walked off.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: To his disadvantage, as Ivelisse had no problem hitting him. Took it to practically patronising levels during his match against Mariposa, dancing around her for over a minute at the start of the match without attacking and even going to deliver a superkick only to pull it back at the last second when she flinched.