William Matthew Sierra (born August 11, 1957), better known as Bill Alfonso, is an American Professional Wrestling referee and manager most famous for his time in ECW. He debuted in Texas in 1979 and worked for various National Wrestling Alliance territories as well as for WCW and WWE. At ECW Hostile City Showdown on April 15, 1995, The Sandman defeated ECW World Heavyweight Champion "The Franchise" Shane Douglas, with Douglas taking exception to the officiating.note At ECW Enter Sandman on May 13th, Douglas brought in Alfonso as the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission Referee. Alfonso announced that if anyone hits him or anyone goes through a table then he's shutting the show down. His first match was Tommy Dreamer and Mikey Whipwreck vs. Raven and Stevie Richards, which Raven and Stevie won when Alfonso disqualified Dreamer for using a closed fist. He continued making trouble for months, culminating in his "match" with ECW Commissioner Tod Gordon at ECW November To Remember on November 18th. Beulah McGillicutty, then a Heel as Raven's girlfriend, was the special referee, with Fonzie attacking her and throwing her out of the match. The match, such as it was, continued on, complete with Fonzie doing a blade job. Then Taz, who was recovering from a broken neck and had been made a referee for the night, came to the ring and started to count a Gordon pin attempt, stopped, beat up Tod and threw Alfonso on top, thus turning himself heel. This would eventually lead to Taz vs. Sabu at ECW's first PPV, Barely Legal, on April 13, 1997. Taz defeated Sabu, and Fonzie turned on Taz and sided with Sabu and Rob Van Dam. He would continue to manage Sabu for a time after ECW closed, most notably in MLW. Pro Wrestling Illustrated named him "Manager of the Year" for 1997.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
"CALL THESE TROPES RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE, DADDY!"
- Arch-Enemy: Paul E., Tod Gordon, 911, Sabu, Taz, Beulah McGillicutty...until RVD's surprise face turn after defeating Bam Bam Bigelow for the ECW World Television Title, pretty much everybody hated him at some point.
- Hot-Blooded: He was loud and angry.
- Lawful Evil: This was his whole shtick as the evil referee: He was a heel who pissed off the fans by attempting to enforce the rules in a promotion that generally avoided them.
- My Name Is Inigo Montoya: "I'M BILL ALFONSO, AND I'M THE SENIOR OFFICIAL HERE IN ECW!"
- Nice Hat: As seen above.
- Non-Action Guy: Has said that the reason he and Tod Gordon put so much effort into their matches was because neither guy could wrestle and they didn't want the fans to think that they were half-assing it.
- Only Sane Man: He was the only one who could keep RVD and Sabu on the same page if they were having a disagreement about something.
- Perma-Stubble Of Evil: As shown above.
- Power Stable: The Florida Clique, in NWA Florida in the 2000s.
- Red Baron: "Fonzie," "The Manager of Champions," "The Man Who Calls It Right Down The Middle"
- Too Dumb to Live: He banned 911 from using the Chokeslam. During the third fall of the ECW Gangstas Paradise 2 out of 3 Falls Double Dog-Collar ECW World Tag Team Champions Raven and Stevie Richards vs. The Pit Bulls Match, Raven sent PB#2 through two tables, which, by 1995 ECW standards, was enough to get him stretchered to the back. Tommy Dreamer walked to the ring, put on one of the collars, low-blowed Raven, hit him with a DDT and pinned him. Dreamer and PB#1 celebrated the win and ring announcer Bob Artese was unsure whether to announce the Pit Bulls or PB#1/Dreamer as the new Champs. Alfonso came down and said that he approved 2 out of 3 Falls, which wasn't in the contract, and that the match was over because the Pit Bulls couldn't continue, which meant that they would have had to split up as a tag team. ECW Commissioner Tod Gordon came down and declared that the match was over when he said it was over. Meanwhile, Big Dick Dudley, then a member of Raven's Nest, made his way to the ring on crutches. Tod restarted the match and Fonzie knocked him down. Big Dick Dudley entered the ring, Chokeslammed Dreamer, and walked away. Alfonso said, "I'm allowing the Chokeslam tonight, because Tommy Dreamer, you're dreaming baby, you've never pinned Raven. The Chokeslam is on!" Cue The Edgar Winter Group's "Frankenstein," and heeere's 911. Fonzie protests but 911 finally gets his hands on him and FINALLY Chokeslammed Alfonso.note
- Would Hit a Girl: Yes, though Beulah definitely hit back.
- Wrestling Family: His cousin is Dave "Fidel" Sierra aka The Cuban Assassin.