Please don't hide spoilers in this page. Wham Line is a spoileriffic trope by nature, so it's pointless to spoiler tag every example.
Games with their own page
- Ace Combat
- Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
- While all five routes have wham lines in them, the UPEO-General Resource-Ouroboros route has one that stands out from the rest of them:Abyssal Dision: I see...! So you were... Simon... Were you?
- The Omega Ending has what is quite possibly the biggest wham line in the entire series.Simon Orestes Cohen: Finally, we meet again... Well, I dont know if you already realized it, but you were a program, created by me. And now, all of the events youve witnessed up to this point- all possibilities that I programmed into you as an AI have shown the answer. You having struggled to reach here, have shown me through many patterns, that in all ever changing worlds, he should end up completely erased. That man stole Yoko from me. The man who impudently lived on, alone as a dead copy, Dision! You completely deleted the program that reproduced his thoughts. You showed me all the possibilities. Well, Ive decided to release you, into the real world. Forget everything youve done until now, and with your own eyes, understand the truth of this world. Who created this world, and for what purpose...
- While all five routes have wham lines in them, the UPEO-General Resource-Ouroboros route has one that stands out from the rest of them:
- In the Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies mission Deep Strike, after destroying the Erusean Solar Power Plant, AWACS Sky Eye shouts at Mobius One to get out of the airspace, because the Eruseans are firing Stonehenge at them:Sky Eye: Incoming from Stonehenge!
- Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
- In the mission Blind Spot, while the Wardog squadron is intercepting Yuktobanian transports, over the radio, the 8492nd is heard firing on civilians.The Osean Planes are firing on a school packed with civilians!
- In the cutscene following the mission, the Wardog squadron is brought to the capital of Osea, Oured, to stand trial for the attack, and when they try to say that the attack was carried out by the 8492nd Squadron, their tribunal drops this line:Tribunal: 8492! 8492! Is all you people have to say? There is no squadron in our military with that number!
- In the mission Journey Home, the Yuktobanians launch an assault on November Citys football stadium where Vice-President Applerooth is giving a speech, and AWACS Thunderhead tries to call for reinforcements. But before the reinforcements arrive, the 8492nd comes back and tricks them into believing that it was a drill.8492nd Squadron Leader: Attention all units approaching November City. I guess they had us going too.
Thunderhead: What? Who is this?
8492nd Squadron Leader: That was a pretty good drill they got going. Anyway, drill is over. Return to base.
Thunderhead: Wait?! What are you talking about?!
- In the cutscene after Journey Home, Genette and Pops are examining the wreckage of an aircraft built by North Osea Gründer Industries, the company who manufactures Oseas military hardware, when Genette asks:Genette: Why does Yuktobania have this?
- In the mission 8492, which happens immediately after the mission Fortress, the Wardog Squadron are on their way back to base, when theyre ambushed by the titular squadron.Grimm: Enemy ECM! Wait, that escort plane... Oh no!
Nagase: The 8492nd Squadron doesnt exist!
- And in the same mission:Nagase: What are Belkan pilots doing here?
- The cutscene that follows after the Wardog Squadron escapes the ambush begins with a Wham Line:Genette: (To Pops) Would it surprise you if I said that President Harling is nowhere to be seen within the Capital?
Pops: Not really. The hardline war that Osea is waging right now, hardly resembles the peace policy the president was promoting. Let me guess: He disappeared just before we invaded Yuktobania right?
Genette: Exactly. My journalist friends in the Capital have told me that no-one has seen him enter or leave the office since. All of his decisions are communicated through the Vice-President. And it gets better: A lot of the military officers who resigned over disagreement over the presidents policy have started to return to the capital.
- And following that, Pops drops a revelation of his own:Pops: I found something out myself. That Belkan aggressor squadron that I was telling you about? Apparently theyre called the 8492nd. Also, and heres the kicker, Captain Hamilton, the adjutant base commander here, used to be assigned to the 8492nd.
- Immediately afterwards, the Wardog Squadron returns to base, and Nagase and Blaze go to Hamilton to inform him of the ambush, while Grimm goes inform Pops and Genette, but since Blaze and Nagase dont know that Hamilton is a traitor, they go to Perrault to inform him of whats going on, only to find that Hamilton had gotten to him first, and that there is more to Pops than what hes letting on.Perrault: Thank you for coming 2nd Lieutenant. I was just about to call you over.
Perrault: Special Forces 2nd Lieutenant Peter N. Beagle... Or I guess you prefer Pops. Fifteen years ago, you and Bartlett were shot down over enemy terrain. Bartletts squadron HQ was destroyed, and all of its data was fried by Belkas magnetic pulse weaponry. When you made it back to the frontlines, it was Bartletts word that you were his squadron leader. [holds out a gun] Is that really true? Bartlett turned out to be a spy. So... Who are you really? [reaches for the phone] Cant prove anything about your military record, can you?
- In the next mission Last Resort, as the Wardog Squadron and Pops are fleeing from the 8492nd squadron, Pops true identity is revealed:8492nd Sqadron Leader: That flying style... That isnt the Colonel is it?
8492nd Wingman: Colonel? You mean the Colonel? The legendary fighter pilot they called Huckenbein the Raven during the last war?
8492nd Squadron Leader: The greatest traitor our country has ever produced.
Pops: Is that you Ashley? I kept hearing this 8492, and I was wondering what the heck it was. Ever since you started calling yourselves the Grabarc squadron during the last war, I got sick of flying the same sky as you. Seems youve strayed further from your ideals since then.
- In the mission Blind Spot, while the Wardog squadron is intercepting Yuktobanian transports, over the radio, the 8492nd is heard firing on civilians.
- Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
- After completing the mission Bastion, Pixy spots something that foreshadows Excalibur:Pixy: Huh? Did... Something just flash?
- When the objective for the mission The Inferno begins, the lead bomber makes this announcement over the radio:Lead Bomber: Priority is to place destruction over accuracy.
- The next mission, Stage of Apocalypse, as Galm is heading for Sudentor, while Crow is heading for Waldreich, AWACS Eagle Eye receives a transmission from central command:Eagle Eye: A Belkan bomber flight armed with nuclear weapons has taken off for Ustio!
- Then, near the end of the mission, after it turns out there were seven other nukes:Wizard 1: Larry, can you read me? Your fairy godmother's here, Cinderella.
Pixy: How can you say that after what just happened?!
Wizard 1: [laughs] Today is your lucky day, Larry. Like your birthday.
Pixy: And you're here to pull me off in a magical carriage, huh? To hell, I suppose...
Pixy: Buddy... [player gets a missile lock alert] I've found a reason to fight.
- During the briefing for the mission The Talon of Ruin, Galm team is ordered to pursue a rouge airship called the XB-0 when suddenly:Base Commander: We just received an emergency transmission from the control tower... Unidentified aircraft are approaching our base!
- And at the end of the same mission:PJ: Theres an encrypted message on a hidden channel. Decrypting message: Uh, "Yo buddy. You still alive"? It's...!
- The ending to the second to last mission Avalon sees the return of an old friend:Pixy: So, have you found a reason to fight yet? Buddy?
- After completing the mission Bastion, Pixy spots something that foreshadows Excalibur:
- Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
- In the mission Selumna Peak, after completing four of the six objectives, UAVs are detected flying over the mountains. Garuda is ordered to shoot them down, when a second later, their true purpose is revealed:Ghost Eye: Warning! Incoming cruise missiles!
- Near the end of the mission Moloch Desert, the Estovakian Military is retreating, and seconds after ordering Garuda to go after them, Ghost Eye gets an emergency transmission from central command:Ghost Eye: Youve been ordered to evacuate! Mission command has ordered an evacuation!
- The post mission breifing reveals why they were ordered to evacuate:Base Commander: According to our intelligence from the Department of National Safety: Estovakia has a scorched earth policy in mind for Gracemeria.
- During The Liberation of Gracemeria, Shamrock hopes to introduce Talisman to his family once the mission is over. But come the next mission Gracemeria Patrol, whatever excitement Shamrock had previously is gone, for while everyone else is celebrating, Shamrock talks in a near hush tone, and he doesnt even laugh at Avalanches joke of flying in between the buildings. Its not until halfway through the mission when Shamrock reveals why he has lost his happiness:Shamrock: My wife and daughter, are both dead. Its just been confirmed. I saved my country, but I lost my family. What kind of an ace cant even protect his own family?
Shamrock: [voice breaking] Monica... and Jessica...
[not subtitled on the radio] How could I let this happen?!
Shamrock: Once this missions over, Im turning my wings. Ive had it. I no longer have a reason to fly.
- In the mission Selumna Peak, after completing four of the six objectives, UAVs are detected flying over the mountains. Garuda is ordered to shoot them down, when a second later, their true purpose is revealed:
- Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- The fourth mission, Rescue, the Oseans attempt to rescue former president Vincent Harling from the Lighthouse, after it was captured by the Eruseans. He along with an Air Force Colonel try to escape on a captured V-22, when a missile strikes the cockpit, killing Harlings escort, and the V-22 inexplicably turns around back to the Lighthouse. During that time, a couple of UAVs harass the V-22, and when Trigger tries to shoot them down, a missile comes screeching pass Trigger and strikes the V-22, ending the mission in failure, and leading to one of the most tragic moments in the series.AWACS Sky Keeper: Mage 2!
[the V-22 explodes]
AWACS Sky Keeper: Oh my god. Mother Goose One has been shot down!
- The first part of Mission 16, Last Hope involves escorting an Erusean general that is trying to negotiate an end to the war. During the mission, he takes the opportunity to reveal to the Oseans on what led to Erusea declaring war as well as the secret behind the development of their drone army:
- In the second half of Mission 16, the planes escorting the transport carrying Dr. Schroeder and Mihalys granddaughters suddenly attack Trigger and his wingmen without warning. Schroeder explains that the fighters are in fact drones, before dropping this revelation about the extent of their programming:Dr. Schroeder: They are not being controlled by anyone. They are flying of their own volition!
- The fourth mission, Rescue, the Oseans attempt to rescue former president Vincent Harling from the Lighthouse, after it was captured by the Eruseans. He along with an Air Force Colonel try to escape on a captured V-22, when a missile strikes the cockpit, killing Harlings escort, and the V-22 inexplicably turns around back to the Lighthouse. During that time, a couple of UAVs harass the V-22, and when Trigger tries to shoot them down, a missile comes screeching pass Trigger and strikes the V-22, ending the mission in failure, and leading to one of the most tragic moments in the series.
- Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
- Through the three normal endings of Afraid of Monsters, it's revealed that the entire game of the protagonist David Leatherhoff being attacked by various inhuman creatures was a really bad reaction to the pills he's addicted to, and that he actually went on a psychotic rampage and killed several people. Then, once you've beaten all three normal endings, found all the hidden notes across the game's three paths, and deciphered the code they give you to go for the last ending, you find a trio of notes that lead up to one wham. In a normal-looking kitchen, you find a note saying "my mother used to point at things she wanted me to destroy", with a picture of the room itself on the wall, with a shadowy figure pointing at the ceiling - instructing you to break the ceiling and climb up into the attic. Once you're there, you find another note: "Now, she is pointing at your enemy." At that, a wall breaks down to reveal another of the game's basic "Twitcher" zombies, and you kill it and move down the path it opened up. Right in front of a mirror comes the real wham line in the third note: "No, not the innocent. The enemy!" Once you read that, David's own reflection steps out of the mirror to confront you, and after a short chase sequence you're pitted in an arena to face the true final boss, the personification of David's addiction.
- At the time of the Arcaea version 1.5 update, players unlocking the boss track "Grievous Lady" on Future were in for a nasty surprise: "Future 10". Up until this point the highest difficulty was a 9+, which simply meant "harder than level 9" rather than "between 9 and 10". This is no longer a spoiler as "SAIKYO STRONGER" from a later update is plainly listed as a 10 on the songlist, unlocked or otherwise.
- Meeting certain requirements when you play the song "Tempestissimo" activates a special event where halfway through the song, most of the UI elements disappear, save for the Recall guage, which is swaped out for the Tempest Gauge (where hitting notes affects the rate that it drains or fills rather than directly affecting it), and the difficulty level, which informs the player that the rest of the song will be played on the next highest difficulty. Past 6 becomes Present 9, Present 9 becomes Future 10...and Future 10 becomes Beyond 11.
- Assassin's Creed III: Spoken by the character you had been playing as up to this time, who has all the classic Assassin skills and weapons, upon welcoming a new person into his "brotherhood": "You... are a Templar. May the Father of Understanding guide us." Lampshaded by Desmond, who exclaims in voice-over, "Wait, what?"
- The halfway point in Baten Kaitos, where the main character drops a line that provided one of the best plot twists in JRPG history and completely tuns EVERYTHING on its head.Kalas: It's me. I worked together with Melodia.
- Batman: Arkham City:
Strange: By the end of tonight, I will be a hero. Just like you... Batman.
- Hugo Strange drops this line while interrogating a captured Bruce Wayne, revealing that he knows his Secret Identity.
- Batman: Arkham Knight:
Gordon: This is how it happened. This is how the Batman died.
- The game sets some kind of record by having the first line of the game be a Wham Line. The whamminess comes from the fact that none of the promotional material (besides one spoilery piece of merchandise and some of the TV ads) had hinted at its inclusion.
- During the mission at the Ace Chemical Factory, there's this gem, both for the character who said it and the voice actor playing him given he'd talked about retiring from the role after City.Joker Hallucination: Miss me?
- Later in the game, after a big vehicle-on-vehicle battle with the mysterious Arkham Knight, who has been feeding Scarecrow intel on how to fight Batman, he reveals he knows a lot more about Batman than Bats thought he did:Arkham Knight: But don't worry, Bruce. I kept some secrets to myself...
- Speaking of the titular Arkham Knight, The Reveal:Batman: Jason?! But... you're dead!
- Batman: The Telltale Series:
- When Penguin holds Mayor Hill at gunpoint in Children of Arkham, the latter reveals his biggest secret out of sheer desperation, right in front of Batman.Mayor Hill: I took out Thomas Wayne! That was all him, he didn't know when to stop. I had him killed because of it!
- At the end of "New World Order", when Vicki stabs Bruce with a pen laced with Psycho Serum:
- From "Guardian of Gotham", in a conversation between Bruce and John Doe:John Doe: Don't be ashamed; it's in your blood! I see a lot of your father in you. She probably does, too. It's obvious that's why Vicki hates you — your dad helped bump off her parents!
Bruce: Why would my father have the Vales killed?
John: I never said he killed the VALES. She was born an Arkham. Victoria Arkham.
- Season 2's fourth episode has another one from John. The player can probably tell what he's going to say based on the first line.John: I know you can fight better than that. Or do you need your Batsuit to really get you in the mood? (You're) always hiding behind some kind of mask. Playboy, businesman, criminal. Bat.
- When Penguin holds Mayor Hill at gunpoint in Children of Arkham, the latter reveals his biggest secret out of sheer desperation, right in front of Batman.
- The Beginner's Guide:
- The first hints that Davey isn't telling us everything come from this line.Davey: And to be fair it's not like this is the first game that's needed some modification to be playable. Like the housecleaning game, you know that one used to actually loop the cleaning chores and you just cleaned a house forever, I had to cut it off so that you could exit the house and the game would actually end.
- The Tower level starts with two complimentary lines that spell out what went down between Davey and Coda.Coda, via the wall: Dear Davey, thank you for your interest in my games. I need to ask you not to speak to me anymore.
Davey: I'm the reason that you stopped making games, aren't I? It's because of what I did. I poisoned it for you.
- Throughout the game, the end of a section was symbolized by a lamppost, with Davey telling us that Coda put them in as a symbol of a goal or a finished project. But then, about halfway through The Tower, Coda's (written) speech to Davey takes a turn and throws all of that out the window.Coda, via the wall: Would you stop changing my games? Stop adding lampposts to them? Would you simply let them be what they are?
- The first hints that Davey isn't telling us everything come from this line.
- Bendy and the Ink Machine:
Henry: There's crazy things happening down here... monsters, demons, angels... and right now, two of them are holding me prisoner.
- Chapter 1 - after Henry is chased by Inked Bendy and falls through the floor, there's this on the wall: "The Creator Lied to Us."
- Chapter 2 - Henry is alone under the studio and finds a tape that ends with "Can I get an amen?" Immediately after this, the same voice says, "I said, 'can I get an amen?'" The tape is off, and the voice sounds like it's coming from around the corner.
- Chapter 3 - Henry has been making his way through Joey Drew Studios' toy factory, looking for a way out. He reaches a dead end filled with unsold toys of the unpopular Alice Angel character and gets trapped. The lights flicker and her theme song plays. The song has a line that the lyrics keep coming back to: "I'm Alice Angel!" But then, a real life version of Alice creates a jumpscare by appearing in the empty room on the other side of the window, hitting the glass, and shouting the line at the same time that it was due to play in the recording. It's accompanied by the music shutting off, and is quickly followed by the lights doing the same. After this, Alice says, "I see you there. A new fly in my endless web. Come along now. Let's see if you're worthy to walk with the angels." When the lights come back on, a new hallway has opened up.
- Also in Chapter 3 - Part of Alice's final rant for the chapter reveals: "No, Henry! I know who you are! And I know why you're here!"
- Chapter 4 - For anyone not tipped off by the subtitles, there's the line at the end of Bertrum's "recording" inside Bendy Land: "You may think I've gone... But I'm still here!"
- Between Chapters 4 & 5 - At the end of Chapter 4, Henry is forced to kill his Brainwashed and Crazy pal, Boris, in self-defense. He is then attacked by evil Alice, only for her to be stabbed in the back by... a different version of Alice Angel, who is there with yet another Boris. Fans assumed this was a rescue party. However, the game's developers released an audio recording of Henry's in the time leading up to Chapter 5 that puts the "rescue party's" motivations into question:
- The absolutely final ending of The Binding of Isaac has Isaac ascending to heaven while seeing the traumatic experiences in his life that led him to commit suicide, but just as he finishes ascending...Narrator: Are you sure this is how you want this story to end, Isaac? You're the one writing it, it doesn't have to end this way. Here, how about we tell it a different way? Maybe a happy ending?Isaac: Okay, daddy.
- BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger only reveals the true identity of legendary hero and miniboss Hakumen once you unlock Hakumen's story mode and see his reaction to defeating the protagonist, Ragna:What tears (Hakumen) had have dried up long ago, and he no longer even has eyes to cry from... But to be reunited with the man he once called "Brother"...
- Surprisingly, in BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, the side story Remix Heart Gaiden gets one. In the last chapter, Kajun deliberately drops back from the group on pretence of needing the restroom. She then puts through a call that indicates the Gaiden stories are not entirely self-contained, as well being an unlikely contact for a prospective NOL student.Kokonoe: Hey, it's me. What's the situation?
- Many of the plot twists in BlazBlue: Central Fiction are given through Wham Episodes, but a few come in single lines:
- One line in Act 3 of Ragna's Arcade Mode shows that Amane Nishiki is not the trivial Blithe Spirit he appears:Amane: I see, so this is the real 'Ragna the Bloodedge'. Yes, very strong! As I expected, our dance together will be truly magnificent! I really want you to join my troupe now!
Ragna: I said that I refuse! Don't make me repeat myself!
Amane: I see... In that case, let me rephrase that. I want you to be under my Observation.
- At the end of Litchi's third Arcade Mode, she encounters Arakune and manages to make contact with Roy within the Boundary. There she tells him that she's finally achieved her series-long goal: that there's a way to undo Roy's transformation and bring him back to their world.
- One line in Carl's Arcade Mode shows how, despite all his intentions, he did turn out like his Archnemesis Dad: when he does the one thing he always hated other characters doing throughout the series.Carl: Hm? Sis, step aside.
Carl: ...Get out my way, Nirvana.
- One line in Act 3 of Ragna's Arcade Mode shows that Amane Nishiki is not the trivial Blithe Spirit he appears:
- BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle caught fans off-guard in the EVO 2017 trailer when it seemed the trailer would end...
- BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger only reveals the true identity of legendary hero and miniboss Hakumen once you unlock Hakumen's story mode and see his reaction to defeating the protagonist, Ragna:
- "Behold! A Paleblood sky!" Notable in that it's potentially a delayed example: if you're abducted and taken to the Hypogean Gaol, you may find a note with the above, befuddling message scrawled upon it. Considering that your character has been spending the game searching for "Paleblood" you can easily deduce that this is a significant note, but it feels like its significance is lost upon you... Much later, after you've slain Rom, you return to Yahar'gul, where the Hypogean Gaol is located, and this time the note's significance will suddenly make a whole lot more sense.
- "A corpse... should be left well alone..." Notable in that it isn't the phrase itself which is the wham line, but the fact that it's said in the voice of the Plain Doll. The Hunter themselves reacts with shock to this line and backs away from the speaker in obvious fear.
- It takes on a far deeper meaning after her defeat, when you finally reach the finale of the DLC, and learn the "corpse" she was referring to wasn't her.
- "Farewell, good hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world." A parting phrase spoken by the Plain Doll every time you've interacted with her, but it takes on a much deeper meaning in the Sunrise Ending.
- BoxxyQuest: The Gathering Storm has a few:
- Tyalie, reacting to the Wham Shot after battling an Asteroids Monster boss down to its smallest form, and revealing a dark truth about one of your friends:Tyalie: So this means... Anonymous is Legion?
- Arianna, finally explaining her origins and motives, in a way that casts everything she's done up until then in a harsh new light:Arianna: My name... My TRUE name... It's ARPANET.
- The Pale Wraith, dropping a vital clue to his true identity by way of Accidental Misnaming:Pale Wraith: It's been a long time, hasn't it... Cate?
- Tyalie, reacting to the Wham Shot after battling an Asteroids Monster boss down to its smallest form, and revealing a dark truth about one of your friends:
- Bug Fables:
- Right at the beginning of the Chapter 2, Leif drops a major bombshell revealing that he spent a VERY long time asleep in Snakemouth Den.Leif: When our team left for Snakemouth... The Queen was Elizant the First.
- A much tamer example occurs in Chapter 3, where the team (and, by extension, the player) learns that Vi's claims about being harassed and bullied by other bees in the Bee Kingdom Hive were not true.Kabbu: Vi...could it be the Hive has done nothing to you?
Leif: Nonsense. Why would she be so unwilling otherwise?
Vi: He's right.
Kabbu: I am?
Vi: The Hive didn't do anything. I did.
- At the end of Chapter 5, the team does not encounter the Wasp King in his personal chambers, but instead they meet Queen Vanessa II, who, besides revealing that all wasps in the Wasp Kingdom were brainwashed, drops a major bombshell revealing that the team ended up becoming the Unwitting Pawns to the Wasp King's plans.Leif: We came to defeat the King. He's not here?
Vi: Or at least to take the artifact...
Queen Vanessa II: I'm afraid not. He left the general in charge some time ago, when he decided to attack the Ant Kingdom. I have not seen him since.
Kabbu: What? How could this be?! He was driven out of the Ant Kingdom and we've had reports he...
[The team, except Vi, comes to realization]
Kabbu: C-COULD IT BE!?
Leif: This is bad! Disastrous!
Vi: Uh, what's up?
Leif: We were tricked! There's no artifact here!
- Right before the beginning of Chapter 6, when Queen Elizant II was forced to give up the artifacts to the Wasp King so that he wouldn't harm her people, and when the group thanks her, she unmasks herself and reveals her true personality, combined with the fact it's definitely not what the player was led to believe.Queen Elizant II: I do not deserve your gratitude. I've failed everyone. You, my loyal people. My mother, the Queen... It would be folly to pretend I deserve this royal mask.
- And within the dialogue that came from the aforementioned line, Queen Elizant also reveals her true motives, which not only turn out to not be for her personal gain, but also reveal that her predecessor's fate is not what everyone was led to believe.Queen Elizant II: The true Queen, Elizant I... My mother, she yet lives. She was put in a deep slumber, using crystal energy. A sort of stasis. It was her dream to get the sapling so she could continue to rule Bugaria for years to come. ...I wished only to bring her back with it. A graceful Queen, loved by all. A diplomatic genius, who ended wars without combat. I longed for her return... So that I may concede my throne to her. For she is so much more than I have ever been.
- In Chapter 7, when the group reaches the Roach Village in the Giant's Lair, Queen Elizant II drops another bombshell when explaining her goals to the Roaches regarding the Sapling, especially given what she said earlier.Queen Elizant II: ...I... I had a dream. To use its power to fulfill my wishes... But the lust for that power has only brought turmoil to Bugaria. I will destroy it!
- Right at the beginning of the Chapter 2, Leif drops a major bombshell revealing that he spent a VERY long time asleep in Snakemouth Den.
- Cho Ren Sha68k:
- After defeating the boss of Stage 6, instead of "STAGE 7" appearing on-screen as one may expect, "STAGE 0" shows up instead. Furthermore, dying and ranking in on this stage will show the stage you reached as "2-0", indicating that this stage is officially part of the second loop rather than the first even though it's your first time getting to this stage. This indicates that something is pretty off about the stage...
- When Stage 2-0 is completed, an explosion happens — the exact same explosion from the beginning of the game — and the game displays "STAGE 1", indicating a space-time loop.
- Episode 0 of Code 7 ends with one. Alex successfully defended Sam and themselves against S.O.L.I., they board a escape capsule and leave. The last thing the player sees before the credits roll?Alex: I am S.O.L.I.
- Beat Command & Conquer: Red Alert's Soviet Campaign, and one character reveals that the Ancient Conspiracy has been Piggybacking on Stalin, as well as showing indication that the Red Alert universe was about to be Canon-welded with the Tiberian series before becoming its own continuity.Nadia: This temporary chaos in Europe, would only serve to fuel The Brotherhood (of Nod)'s cause.
The Advisor: The foreseeable future? Comrade chairman, I am the future!
- The ending of Crackdown. After beating all three of the Criminal Gangs, the Agency Director congratulates you on a job well done. It seems to be a generic A Winner Is You, until...It's taken years of meticulous planning and patience to reach this stage, but it was worth it. Who do you think supplied Los Muertos?
- In Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time, the heroes confront the 2 N. Tropies who are giving Tawna a run for her money, then the female N. Tropy drops this shocking nugget of information.N. Tropy (F): The last time I killed her friends, her screams were exquisite.
- In DanceDanceRevolution X3, a nasty one awaited those who unlocked "LOVE IS THE POWER -Re:born-" for the Encore Extra Stage, back when the track could only be accessed through EES. EES's in DDR had previously only required the easier — comparatively speaking — Full Combo (no step judgements that terminate the player's step combo) status to clear, but at the start of this particular EES, this message shows up:"ATTACK! PERFECT FULL COMBO!"note
- Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls
- When Nagito encounters Komaru and Toko near the secret exit from the city in Chapter 4, he makes the following line, whch reveals Toko's true reason for accompanying Komaru.Nagito: Rather, the one who disappointed me was Toko. [...] (to Toko) Now, perhaps I am mistaken, but I believe we made a promise. You were to escort her to headquarters.
- In Chapter 5, Komaru is possessed by Tokuichi Towa's ghost, and asks if he's Haiji's father. Tokichi not only confirms it, but also reveals that another person Komaru knows is part of the family.Tokuichi (speaking through Komaru) : I see... You know Haiji. Then do you know his little sister Monaca, too?
- For the entire game, Komaru has been desperate to escape Towa City, a goal that's merely put on hold near the end of the game. As such, this exchange after the Final Boss comes off as quite a surprise.Komaru: I...I know I can save both the adults and the children.
Toko: Well, we can chat about it after we get out of this damn town once and for all!
Komaru: Toko... I... I'm staying in this town.
- When Nagito encounters Komaru and Toko near the secret exit from the city in Chapter 4, he makes the following line, whch reveals Toko's true reason for accompanying Komaru.
- Darkest Dungeon:
- A meta example in the help window that pops up after a hero dies for the first time:
- In the game's intro, the Ancestor uses the phrase "Ruin has come to our family". At the end he makes mention of the "The great family of man", implying that he was referring to all of humanity, and not just your house.
- Dawn of War: In Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising, Avitus' betrayal is followed up with this line during the relevant mission.Avitus: ...Until after the Tyranids, when Kyras contacted me again. And told me to provide information and aid to an ally of his... named Eliphas.
- In Deemo, when you beat Fluqor, the final song of the game (Or Marigold on the fourth Forgotten Hourglass playthrough), the words "Goodbye, my beloved sister, Alice." appear on screen, which is the first (and only) time Deemo has talked in the game, who, in the cutscene following, is revealed to be the little Girl's (Alice) deceased older brother, Hans.
- Gives one right in the opening once you've finished creating your "vessel", letting you know what you're in for with this game, especially if you've played Undertale:
- After beating the Bonus Boss and talking with Seam, the shopkeeper will directly quote one of Gaster's lines from the first game:Seam: And my view of this world have become darker, yet darker.
- Gives one right in the opening once you've finished creating your "vessel", letting you know what you're in for with this game, especially if you've played Undertale:
- Destiny 2 gives us the battered-yet-defiant Speaker's magnificent retort to an increasingly-frustrated Ghaul, after having lead Ghaul on a wild goose chase for weeks in order to give the Vanguard time to recover and launch a counteroffensive;The Speaker: I speak for the Traveler... I never said it spoke to me.
"The Queen:" "FREE ME, o brother mine..."
- On Nessus, theres an adventure called Invitation from the Emperor. Throughout the adventure, you pick up bits and pieces of a mysterious transmission from an individual whose trying to take over the remnants of the Red Legion. Its not until the end of the adventure when we finally find out who the mysterious new leader is, which leads to Cayde-6 having one of the few legitimate freakouts hes ever had in the series:
- Io has an adventure called Arecibo, where Ghost is picking up a transmission that only he and the Young Wolf can hear. Throughout the adventure, they find some Golden Age capsules that each contain quotes from before the Golden Age. Ghost suspects that Rasputin may have left them behind, and that hes trying to tell them something. When the final capsule is found however, this happens:Ghost: Ah, that music... it hurts... just... give me a second... It says... 'Never ask for anything! Never for anything, and especially from those who are stronger than you. They'll make the offer themselves, and give everything themselves.' I don't understand. Wait. Something's happening... Gah! Red sand! Mars! Ice caps! Ahhhhh!... Hey! Sorry, I spaced out for a second there. What were we doing?
- In Destiny 2's Forsaken expansion, the cutscenes featuring Uldren Sov make it clear that the Mara Sov he's talking to is not his sister, but rather some other entity manipulating him. Most fans were of the impression that it was possibly the Hive's goddess of trickery Savathûn. But in the finale of the main campaign comes a line that reveals it's instead one of the infamous Ahamkara wish-dragons:
- Digital Devil Saga has Varin Omega's pre-fight dialogue, and particularly this portion of it.Varin Omega: How the hell can you follow the man who devoured you?
Argilla: What are you... talking about? I don't know —
Varin Omega: You were the first to be devoured. Remember?! (to Heat) And you, I feel sorry for you. How many times must you die for this woman?!
- From the DonPachi series:
- The original DonPachi, end of the first loop:"Once again, we have successfully completed our mission and the usual message came up on my screen. Our mission? To fight against our fellow troop members until one side completely annihilates the other."
- DoDonPachi: Complete the game normally, and the Commander commends your efforts and tells you it's time to take a well-deserved rest. Fulfill the conditions for the 2nd loop, however, and..."That was a good fight. You should be commended...Psych! You're dead meat!! Enemies you've been fighting against, supposedly 'Mechanized Aliens', were actually. our (sic) guys, the missing battlefleet you learned about in the academy. You were killing our guys without knowing it! But I planned that all along! And your death...would be a nice finishing touch to my whole scheme. My special forces are the best of the best and they will be welcoming you with fierce fier (sic) power. See You in Hell!"
- In DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu, Colonel Longhena has two versions of the "welcome to 2nd loop" speech, depending on which version of the 2nd loop you unlock. Either way, he declares his intent to "build a new order"...
- The original DonPachi, end of the first loop:
- They're a single line in a flashback from Doom Eternal that rapidly changes up everything we knew about the story, on account of who's saying it.
- Dragon Age:
Loghain: "Sound...the retreat!"
- Dragon Age: Origins:
- Your character and Alistair complete their mission to summon reinforcements at Ostagar, only for Loghain, who was supposed to provide the reinforcements, to betray the army and leave the king to his death.
- If you take a certain romanced character to the Final Battle and haven't Taken A Third Option:
- Dragon Age II:
- At the end of the quest "Alone": "You said you never wanted those markings, but that's not true! You wanted them; competed for them!"
- In Merrill's quest "A New Path", she notices that the Pride Demon who taught her Blood Magic is not present at Pride's End, and suggests that something must have happened to it. Keeper Marethari, now possessed by the demon, arrives and says "I happened."
- In the Legacy DLC, when you finally confront the ancient darkspawn Corypheus, he utters a couple:
- Dragon Age: Inquisition:
- "Well, Shit":
- "What Pride Has Wrought":Abelas: The Tevinters never destroyed Arlathan. We warred upon ourselves.
Abelas: "Elven legend" is wrong. The Dread Wolf had nothing to do with Mythal's murder.
- Shortly after the climax of "What Pride Has Wrought," encountering Flemeth in the Fade:Morrigan: ...you are Mythal.
- In The Stinger:Flemeth: You should not have given your orb to Corypheus, Dread Wolf.
(cue image of Solas walking up behind her)
- Dragon Quest III: After beating Zoma, the hero emerges just in time for the game to inform the player that the hole in the sky has closed. You are now stuck in Alefgard.
- After defeating Schwarzgeist in Einhänder, you get this message:"Received a telegram from Hyperion: Enemy threat removed by your heroic attempt. The battle pattern of the latest E.O.S. unmanned fighter has been completed according to the data from your battle record. For your meritorious deed, you have been honored to be selected as the target of the last E.O.S. test. Congratulations. After your death, you will advance two classes and be awarded the sirius decoration. Glory with the Moon. Mercy on the Earth."
- Quite a few in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:
Delphine: Oh, and one more thing. We know about Paarthurnax.
- At the end of the quest where you have to negotiate a truce between the Stormcloaks and Imperials, Delphine walks up to you (if you haven't talked to her yet) and says this:
Dossier - Ulfric Stormcloak: Status - Asset, Dormant, Emissary Level Approval
- In the Thalmor Embassy:
Corrupt Guard: You want to meet the King In Rags? You'll have plenty of time to chat him up in Cidhna Mine.
- And while investigating a series of political murders in Markarth:
- For the Dragonborn DLC:
Priestess: As we commend your souls to Aetherius, blessings of the Eight Divines upon you.Stormcloak Prisoner: For the love of Talos, shut up and let's get this over with!
- The game even starts with one, for those who have played previous installments and are familiar with the setting's lore:
- Throughout the game, the only word on the Dark Brotherhood is they have long since gone extinct and are almost mythical, but there is a quest from the orphan Aventus Aretino, performing the Black Sacrament in his old house in Windhelm to kill Grelod the Kind; when you walk in, he thinks you work for them. If you choose to kill Grelod, then twenty-four hours after completing the quest, you receive a mysterious note from a courier— with a huge black handprint and two words:
- In Etrian Odyssey, not a conversation line, but an area name (specifically, that of the fifth and final non-postgame stratum): Lost Shinjuku. This establishes that not only does the game take place After the End, but after the end of a modern Earth.
- In Evolve you spend most of the story in the dark about the monsters. In the beginning, they seem like nothing more than an extremely dangerous type of predator on Shear. But then the hunters start piecing things together...Hank: Maggie, you've fought these monster before haven't you?Caira: Sometimes they leave the humans alone, but they always go for the Patterson tech.
Kala: We will nucleate a true vacuum! This abnormality will be erased!Kala: The boundary of stability is wrong! We are the universe righting itself!Kala: Life is order, but all is chaos! It must be!
- And then Kala joined the team, who had both years of experience studying the monsters and a direct link to their minds. If she got downed near a monster, the connection would overwhelm her and she would speak their thoughts. The results were... illuminating.
- "A Mayan sacrifice. That's what it was."
- Also in the chapter, "Where is Jade?"."The truth is, you are dead, Lucas."
- Fallen London, with its hundreds of tales to tell and multiple branching paths, naturally has several, varying depending on the point you're approaching from. But one of the best outright breaks the fourth wall to warn you of the amount of suffering on the horizon if you follow a certain questline:No customer support is available from this point onwards
- Fallout 3, in the Broken Steel add-on you begin the first quest by assaulting one of the Enclave's last strongholds. As Liberty Prime is breaking into the base, though, alarms go off and he delivers this doozy.Prime: Warning! Red Chinese orbital strike detected!
- Fallout: New Vegas:
House: What you did not know is that these are the Securitrons' secondary weapons. All this time, my Securitrons have had to get by running the Mark I operating system, which lacked software drivers for their primary weapons. Today, with the delivery of the Platinum Chip, all that changes. Behold, for the first time, Securitrons running the Mark II OS!
- When you finally deliver the Platinum Chip to Mr. House, he invites you to the basement where a couple of Securitrons demonstrate their standard weaponry you've seen them using already. Then, House reveals what the Chip actually does:
Courier: I see. Yes Man, throw General Oliver off the dam.
- A fairly amusing one that can be delivered by the Courier in the Wild Card ending, after convincing General Oliver to stand down:
- Fallout 4:Father: I am... Your son.
- Far Cry 4Pagan Min: It's yours. It's always been yours. Kyrat is yours. I pulled you off the bus in the first place to pass it on to you.
- Far Cry 5Hope County Sheriff Dispatch: Yes, Father. Praise be to you.
- Fate/EXTRA:Shinji Matou: "I'm only eight years old!"
- Fate/stay night has several. Due to the nature of the narration, some hit the reader more than the characters, and vice-versa.Archer: Trace, On.note
- Paxton Fettel's words: "You and I were born from the same mother."
- After the credits, the very last words in the game. "There is some good news, however. The first prototype was a complete success." Spoken by Genevieve Aristide, the president of Armacham.
- Five Nights at Freddy's:
- In what is probably a record, the second game scored two Wham Lines in its trailer:Phone Guy:note Hello? Hellooooo? Well, if you're hearing this, then chances are you've made a very poor career choice.
AND ZERO DOORS.
- And in the second game's story:
- The final phone call in the second game puts quite a few key events from the franchise's backstory into perspective (the most startling lines in bold):Phone Guy: Hello hello? Uh... what on earth are you doing there? Uh... Didn't you get the memo? Uh... The place is closed down, at least for a while. Someone used one of the suits. We had a spare in the back, a yellow one; someone used it... Now none of them are acting right. Listen, j-just finish your shift. It's safer than trying to leave in the middle of the night. Uh... We have one more event scheduled for tomorrow: a birthday. You'll be on day shift. Wear your uniform. Stay close to the animatronics and make sure they don't hurt anyone, okay? Uh, for now just make it through the night. Uh, when the place eventually opens again, I'll probably take the night shift myself. Okay, good night and good luck.
- From the third game, after a very uneventful Night 1, the second phone call you receive has this:Phone Dude: But I have an even better surprise for you and you're not gonna believe this- we found one. A REAL one.
- And again in the Five Nights at Freddy's 4.
- Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location has one in the opening narration:
- And again in the canon ending:
- And another one from Sister Location, specifically from the cutscene you unlock after beating the hardest difficulty of Custom Night:"Father. It's me, Michael. I did it. I found it. It was right where you said it would be. They were all there. They didn't recognize at first, but then they thought I was you. And I found her. I put her back together, just like you asked me to. She's free now. But something is wrong with me. I should be dead. But I'm not. I've been living in shadows. There is only one thing left for me to do now. I'm going to come find you. I'm going to come find you."
(Cue a split-second appearance of the damaged, but still intact Springtrap)
- From the Good Ending of Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, Scrap Baby's speech at the end of the game is cut off with...Cassette Man: Connection terminated. I'm sorry to interrupt you, Elizabeth- if you still even remember that name- but I'm afraid you've been misinformed.
- In what is probably a record, the second game scored two Wham Lines in its trailer:
- When Colonel Kress reveals who he is working for:Colonel Kress: The Order.
- When Colonel Kress reveals who he is working for:
- In Gears of War, everyone is lead to believe that Adam Fenix, Marcus Fenixs father, has been dead for a decade and a half. But then at the end of the credits of the second game, a radio transmission is heard:Adam Fenix: This is Adam Fenix. Can you hear me? This is Adam Fenix. Is anyone out there? This is Adam Fenix... What have you done?
- Genshin Impact:
- The "Unreconciled Stars" event has two:
???: The first time the Millelith were present. I had to forgo the chance to strike down Monstadt's savior. This time was the perfect moment...I was mere seconds away...
- In Part III, the heroes run into the mystery man they encountered in Part II only for Mona to suddenly teleport everyone away. It turns out she had a very good reason to.
- In Part IV, the heroes meet Scaramouche again as he's investigating the meteorite core in Musk Reef. He then tells a realization that "the skies are a lie", or as Mona phrases it, "fake skies".
- The "Unreconciled Stars" event has two:
- Ghost Trick: The ending offers up a whammy, right after the very last puzzle in the game.Yomiel: Well...it looks like HIS fate just changed in a big way.
Yomiel: That kitten's, of course. Sissel's.
- You've finished Ghosts 'n Goblins, then you get this message:
- God Of War 2 has this line which explains Zeus's actions throughout this game.Athena: Because of fear Kratos. A fear felt by his father, Cronos. A fear that naught the Great War. A fear that drove Zeus to kill you. His own son.
Kratos: His son?
Athena: Just as Zeus was compelled to destroy his father, Cronos. You are compelled to do the same. No son should destroy his own father.
Atreus: My name on the wall. The giants called me...'Loki?"
- God of War (PS4) has this revelation between Kratos and Atreus after scattering Faye's ashes:
- Gradius V — Stage 2 starts off as a brief space segment, but then:Vic Viper's computer: "Warning: There is a space-time anomaly forming. Two objects have emerged. Ship identification code cannot be processed for the large craft. The other is Vic Viper T-301."
- Grand Theft Auto:
- From Grand Theft Auto: Vice CitySonny Forelli: At least someone in your chickenshit organization knows how to do business, isn't that right, Lance?
- From Grand Theft Auto IV, on the Deal ending path:Assassin: Niko Bellic? A gift from Dimitri Rascalov.
- From Grand Theft Auto V, from Trevor to Michael, shedding light on the events of the game's Action Prologue:Trevor: Let me just ask you something, alright, something I've been thinking about. Up in North Yankton, exactly who was buried in your place?
- From Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Half-Life is relatively straightforward with a team of scientists accidentally opening a rift to another dimension that leads to an alien invasion of Earth. Except for the mysterious man with the suitcase who shows up all over the game, sometimes unlocking doors for Gordon Freeman and sometimes blocking his way, until revealing at the end that everything turned out just as his "employers" intended, and then puts him into suspended animation until he needs him again. In Half-Life 2 he sets Gordon Freeman loose and manipulates things in the background again, hinting that there had been several parties that were interested in securing his services. The real whammer comes in the middle of Episode Two when he implants a message into the mind of the daughter of the scientist who led the experiment that resulted in the alien invasion.G-Man: "When you see your...father...relay these words: Prepare for unforeseen consequences."
- Which gets an even bigger punch as you have to be a huge fan of the first game that was released 12 years earlier since "Unforeseen Consequences" is the name of the level immediately after the experiment goes wrong and aliens invade through the dimensional rift.
- Shortly before that while speaking into Gordon Freeman's mind, he is shown sitting on the computer of the security guard who first mentioned that on the day of the experiment the computer system of the facility was going crazy, but "seemed back to normal", revealing that he wasn't just opportunistic in using the dimensional rift for the goals of his employers, but actually created it on purpose.
Eli: You know who I'm talking about. Our mutual friend.
- Immediately after the above line is delivered, the aforementioned scientist tells Gordon that he was told to "prepare for unforeseen consequences" right before the experiment began.
- This is the first time someone has acknowledged the existence of the G-Man. Eli also tells Gordon that the G-Man brought the crystal used in the experiment to Black Mesa in the first place, confirming the earlier hints that he was responsible for the disaster.
- Halo has some:
- Halo: Combat Evolved:Cortana: You don't know what this thing does, do you? Halo doesn't kill Flood, it kills their food. Humans, Covenant, whatever - we're all equally edible! The only way to stop the Flood is to starve them to death.
Master Chief: Something buried? Where-
- There's one after Cortana learns that the Covenant have discovered something on the ring that they are afraid of...
Cortana: The Captain! We've got to stop the Captain!
- Halo 2:343 Guilty Spark: Failsafe protocol: In the event of unexpected shutdown, the entire system will move to standby status. All platforms are now ready for remote activation.
Commander Keyes: Remote activation? ...Where would someone go to activate the other rings?
343 Guilty Spark: Why, The Ark, of course.
Arbiter: And where, Oracle, is that?
(Answer Cut to Truth's Ship, which appears near Earth)
- Before that, there's The Reveal that the Prophets ordered the Brutes to betray the Arbiter and the rest of the Elites.Arbiter: When the Prophets learn of this, they'll take your head!
Tarturus: When they learn? Fool, they ordered me to do it.
- Halo 3:Master Chief: That's... our galaxy. We're beyond the rim.
Mendicant Bias: I SEE YOU, RECLAIMER.
343 Guilty Spark: You are the child of my makers. Inheritor of all they left behind! You are Forerunner! But this ring... IS MINE!
- Halo 4:Cortana: I was put into service over eight years ago... AIs deteriorate after seven.
Ur-Didact: Time was your ally, human. But now it has abandoned you. The Forerunners... have returned.
- Remember how the Spartans are always touted as humanity's best soldiers, groomed from a young age to be perfect, obedient killing machines? Now consider the Master Chief's response when ordered - not asked, ordered by a superior officer - to hand over Cortana for termination.Chief: No, sir.
- Halo: Combat Evolved:
- In Hatoful Boyfriend, there's "I wonder why he lied about going straight home...?"
- Heavy Rain: "Don't forget about me...Scottie."
- Her StorySB: So... you think you understand why your mother did what she did?
- Heroes of Might and Magic III: In the cutscene before "For King And Country," the last mission of the main campaign, Catherine Ironfist reveals a surprising secret.Queen Catherine: There is one more order you must follow without question. Lord Haart must not die. He is our traitor.
- In Hometown Story, you first meet one of the main characters (and possible future spouse if you play as a girl) when he comes to buy toys at your store. Eventually, while going into the town entrance during a certain part of the day, you find the guy being confronted by some villagers. When your animal companion asks what is happening, the only other recognizable character at the scene tells you that the toy guy apparently killed someone; it fortunately quickly turns out that it was a Failure To Save murder and that the toys were for the very young victim's grave.
- In Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2, if the player starts the infamous Conquest End, Nepgear gets to say this one line that tells us what kind of an ending it will be:Nepgear: What if we gathered all of the nations' shares into one big share?
- Hyperdimension Neptunia V has the following:Peashy: Bwaaah! What's going on? I'm all tiny now!
- Hypnospace Outlaw has a big one around the midpoint of the game's story, after the player suffers a catastrophic system crash, representing the point where the game goes from a mere internet simulator to a thriller involving a sinister conspiracy.The California teen hacker responsible for the "Year 2000 Mindcrash" virus that left at least five Hypnospace users dead has become the first juvenile charged in federal court with manslaughter by way of computer hacking. Tim Randal Stevens, who went by the handle "T1MAGEDDON" in Hypnospace, will serve up to six years in a federal prison for the crime.
- Ib has a major one, in a book that you find in the Violet Area:'Mary' (----) - The last work of Guertena's life. While the girl appears almost lifelike, naturally, she is not based on a real person.
- I Miss the Sunrise:Willis: [Typelog] must have traced back the sabotage of the Mind/Matter Interface project to our agent on the inside.
- Later, there is a wham word: In Ivoronus' final scene, you get a piece of paper with their name on it. It's "PRIME", the name that #1213 gave to their most beloved creation.
- The Impossible Quiz sets up one at the very end to royally piss off every player who uses even one skip in the quiz at all. Which is most if not all un-spoiled players who reach the final question. That you're told this information only upon reaching the final question adds greatly to the screw-you factor.Ok, so this is the last question. It is potentially the easiest question there is... or your worst NIGHTMARE depending on how you've played the quiz. GOOD LUCK!
USE YOUR SKIPS!
- inFAMOUS:Cole: What do you want me to tell Moya?
John: Who's Moya?
- Later, there's another one:Cole: Yet the thing that drove him forward...Kessler's sole link to the past, was a picture from his wedding day...
when he married Trish, with Zeke as his best man...
- Actually, before that was Kessler's last words; "Trish, I love you. Forgive me."
- Later, there's another one:
- inFAMOUS 2 delivers a surprise one from the Big Bad:The Beast: Humanity is dead. Help me save what I can.
- Jade Empire:
"Your abilities have grown immensely. But it also does my heart good to see that you have remembered the basics of what I taught. Even the flaws." (kills the Player Character)
- For much of the game, your goal is to rescue your master, Sun Li, from the Emperor. Once you succeed, he will say this to you.
"My fate is sealed, but one secret must live on. I killed them all, my fellow Assassins. I would not let them finish their mission. Master Li's child still lives."
- Early on in the game, after the attack on Two Rivers by the Lotus Assassins, Sagacious Zu will say "I...I was one" immediately after talking about them (the context varies based on your dialogue choice).
- If the player made the right choices when talking with Sagacious Zu, he will conclude his final conversation with you with the following revelation about his role in the mission to kill Sun Li's wife and child.
Kang: He is free. He is... somewhat disoriented by the process. Oh, and there is perhaps something else you should be aware of. Uh, he is me.
- At the end of the Aishi the Mournful Blade quest, the old man who gave you the quest will tell you, " Aishi the Mournful Blade was my daughter." Aishi said her father was dead, so this reveals him to be a lingering spirit.
- At the end of the quest to free Lord Lao, you hear the following from Kang, the one who sent you on the quest in the first place, who speaks about Lord Lao.
- From Jak II: Renegade:Metal Head leader: Don't you recognize him? The boy is you, Jak.
- In Judgment, after Hamura has finally gotten pissed off enough to reveal the identity of The Mole:
- Kid Icarus: Uprising: Medusa has been defeated. The world is at peace, the 8-bit credits are rolling, and Pit and Palutena are sharing a good laugh. And then...
- A couple in Killer7.
- Sunset, pretty much right off the bat after the opening, gives a scene that cultimates in this:Spencer: "Mr. President? This is Spencer speaking, sir. 200 pulsars have been fired towards Japan."
- Why did Ulmeyda ask the assassins to find him?Ulmeyda: "I...I...I want you to kill me. If I catch Heaven Smile, you gotta kill me! I heard you're the only one who can kill them!"
- In Smile, Part 1, we get this:Mills: "...OK. 30 years ago, you and Harman -" Mills proceeds to get shot multiple times before the line can be finished.
- Sunset, pretty much right off the bat after the opening, gives a scene that cultimates in this:
- Killzone has one that has surprisingly little impact on the plot, when Templar and co. finally rescue Colonel Hakha after spending about half the game in pursuit of that goal.
- And a little later...
- And one of the final lines of Killzone 2.
- And the last lines of Killzone 3...
- Kirby series:
- Kirby Super Star, in the Milky Way Wishes subgame:Nova: READY. ->
Nova: I WILL GRANT YOU ONE WISH. ->
Marx: Well, I want to control Pop Star!
- Kirbys Return To Dreamland: In a similar vein to Marx, after supposed endgame boss Landia is defeated and the Master Crown is relinquished from them, Magolor suddenly arrives on the scene. Applauding the heroes, Magolor suddenly snatches the Master Crown, transforms, and announces his intent to take over the universe.Magolor: Ah... at long last, it's mine! The source of limitless power... the Master Crown! Obtaining this crown has been my ultimate goal all along!
- Kirby Battle Royale: So Kirby and Bandana Waddle Dee have won the Platinum League, defeated King Dedede and his partner, and now they're just about to get their prize of a cake, when suddenly...Dedede: NO WAY. NOT YET.
- Kirby Super Star, in the Milky Way Wishes subgame:
- Kingdom Hearts:
- Kingdom Hearts: "It is I, Ansem, the Seeker of Darkness!" It's since become It Was His Sled, but at the time, this was a huge reveal.
- Chain of Memories has this:Larxene: "Since you entered this castle, you keep forgetting and remembering, because Namine has been tampering with your memories."
- Shortly beforehand, Larxene also reveals that the "Riku" Sora been interacting with was a replica created by Vexen.Larxene: If it's Riku you're worried about, then worry no longer. Riku was never here. [...] That thing lying there is a puppet Vexen made.
- Shortly beforehand, Larxene also reveals that the "Riku" Sora been interacting with was a replica created by Vexen.
- Kingdom Hearts II
- This line by Tron is the first one that forces Sora and the player to question who the "Ansem" that they've been fighting really is.Tron: My user is the user of this system. Ansem the Wise.
- Near the end of the battle for Hollow Bastion, Axel reveals that Sora has been unwittingly aiding the Organization all alongAxel: Way to fall right into their trap. C'mon, it's a set-up by Organization XIII. Xemnas is using you to destroy the Heartless—-that's his big master plan.
- When Mickey finds Xemnas, he gives a surprising admission about his true identity.Mickey: That guy wasn't Ansem; he just went around tellin' everybody he was.
- This line by Tron is the first one that forces Sora and the player to question who the "Ansem" that they've been fighting really is.
- 358/2 DaysXion: Tell me, Roxas...who do you see? If you see a new face, a boy's face, that means that I'm almost ready. This puppet will have to play her part. Roxas...this is him. It's Sora.
- A rare (for this series) in-battle example from Birth by SleepXehanort: Only now...have I truly won.
- A future plot is set in motion:
- From Dream Drop Distance, a line which redefines a large chunk of the series' lore:Xigbar/Braig: Oh, thank you, Sora's Heart, for leading him right into our clutches. Aren't hearts great? Steer us wrong every time.
Sora: You know, don't you? Because you all have hearts!
Xigbar/Braig: It's about time you noticed.
- A second one comes almost immediately after this one, also involving Organization XIII:
- Heck, two in a row come in the very first cutscene of the game (after the opening):Terra-Xehanort: I am...Braig: Hey! Do you remember now, or... Wait, did you never lose your memory?Terra-Xehanort: That's not my name. I'm not "Xehanort." My name... is Ansem.
- And another from Axel some time later:Axel: Dilan, Aeleus, Even, Ienzo - We're people again.
- Within the game's plot itself, the first indication that things are not as they appear comes in Sora's The Grid.Young Xehanort: You think this is the realm of dreams, but there, you are mistaken. Data does not dream, cannot dream. This world is real. You haven't the slightest idea where you are - that you have already wandered off the path.
- In case you didn't get the hint, Xigbar spells it out much later.Xigbar: Hey. Let's hit these plot points in order, Sora... Roxas. First, you must be wondering about your revised itinerary. "Why am I here, not back home?" The answer's simple. We brought you to this place! Hijacked your little slumber party before it started. And ever since, we've been both your companions and your constant guides.
- Another one comes during Riku's The World That Never Was:Riku: No. This is a...Xehanort's Heartless: Dream of a dream. A twofold nightmare. This whole journey, you have been inside Sora's dreams. And now darkness within darkness awaits you.
- And then, a few minutes later, it's spelled out:Xehanort's Heartless: At the start of your test, when you struck out from that tiny island, you saw me there dressed in a robe. Immediately you knew something was wrong, so without even knowing it, you dove into Sora's dream. And you became exactly what that sigil on your back represents - a Dream Eater to protect Sora from nightmares.Riku: Me? I'm a Dream Eater?
- From Kingdom Hearts III, Mickey and Riku have finally found Aqua in the Realm of Darkness, but...
- Xemnas drops a bombshell midway through the game, speaking to Demyx, Luxord, Marluxia and Larxene:Xemnas: You four are going to reveal your greatest secret: the ancient Keyblade legacy that slumbers within you.
- During the final battle at the Keyblade Graveyard, Xehanort's Guardian speaks for the first time, and says Terra's final line from Birth by Sleep, confirming that he was Terra's Heartless all along.Guardian: One day... I... will... set... this... right...
- Throughout the game, the other characters and the player had believed that the Dark Riku in the real Organization XIII was a past version of Riku from when he was possessed by Ansem. Then, in the Keyblade Graveyard, this happens.Dark Riku: You're not...real...Riku: Huh?Dark Riku: I'm...the real one...Riku: Aren't you my past self? From when Ansem possessed me?Riku Replica: No, you beat Ansem and you're still here. This guy...is me!
- The epilogue from Kingdom Hearts III also has a whammy:Ira: Is that you, Luxu? You look different.Xigbar: Haven't heard that name in a long while.
- Knights of the Old Republic:Malak: Even the combined power of the Jedi Council couldn't completely destroy your former identity, could it, Revan?
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords:Kreia: Know that there was once a Darth Traya. And that she cast aside that role, was exiled, and found a new purpose. But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn.
- L.A. Noire in case, "Manifest Destiny":Your wife's attorney has pictures of you and the German.
- The Last of Us
- After Ellie and David fight off a group of infected, they sit down to eat together. This line changes everything the player initially thought about David.David: A few weeks back I ah...sent a group of men out to a nearby town to look for food. Only a few came back. They said that the others have been slaughtered by a crazy man. And get this, he was a crazy man traveling with a little girl.
- At the end of the game, Joel has finished his job and brought Ellie to the Fireflies, who intend to use her to make a vaccine. This exchange after Joel asks to see Ellie, however, reveals the human cost of the vaccine- Ellie's life.Marlene: You can't. She's being prepped for surgery.
Joel: The hell you mean, surgery?
Marlene: The doctors tell me that the cordyceps, the growth inside her, has somehow mutated. It's why she's immune. Once they remove it, they'll be able to reverse-engineer a vaccine. A vaccine.
Joel: But it grows all over the brain.
- After Ellie and David fight off a group of infected, they sit down to eat together. This line changes everything the player initially thought about David.
- The Last of Us Part II:
- After Joel and Tommy get acquainted with Abby's group, we get this exchange which solidifies the tone for the rest of the game.Joel: Y'all act like you've heard of us or something.
Abby: That's 'cause they have. (Shoots Joel in the knee)
- After Joel and Tommy get acquainted with Abby's group, we get this exchange which solidifies the tone for the rest of the game.
- Last Scenario:
- Ethan doesn't speak for too much of the first act of the game. Once he gets Hilbert alone on the Brunhild, though...Ethan: Hilbert, you... You were being used. You aren't "destined" for anything. You just happened to be their victim. You aren't even related to Alexander. Zawu got that seal from the Havali.
- After defeating Castor for the second time (and during his ensuing Villainous BSoD):
- Ethan doesn't speak for too much of the first act of the game. Once he gets Hilbert alone on the Brunhild, though...
- Later Alligator: In the Bad Ending, the Investigator follows Pat out onto the balcony after the party and takes out his notepad one last time. This is all it says:Notepad: FINISH THE JOB
- Legacy of Kain
- Blood Omen: He is the last! [Moebius points at Kain and swords are drawn.] Destroy him!
- Soul Reaver: The blade is vanquished. So it unfolds...and we are a step closer to our destinies.
- Soul Reaver 2: My god...the Hylden...we walked right into their trap. Raziel! Janos must stay dead!
- The even better Wham came shortly before that one: "With all other foes exhausted, the conjoined blades turned themselves on me, and I realised... finally... why I had sensed nothing when Janos had offered me the blade. The Reaver was never forged to be a soul-stealing weapon. The ravenous, soul-devouring entity trapped in the blade was... and always had been... me..."
- Right from the start, we know that Moebius is untrustworthy. Then, right as Raziel is about to destroy him (in a way that cannot be undone), Moebius mentions the Wheel of Fate, followed swiftly by "we serve the same god, Raziel!". Suddenly, the whole setting takes on a new level of complexity. Again.
- Defiance: The Soul Reaver, pure of all corruption...this is what it is for. This is what I am for. The two become one...both Soul Reavers...together...and the Scion of Balance is healed...And I am not your enemy...not your destroyer...I am, as before, your right hand...your sword.
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: "Certainly, he had far too many weaknesses to use my power."
- Ocarina of Time:
"Thou must never suffer that man, who placed this death curse on me and sapped my power. Because of that curse, my end is nigh..."
- After Link defeats the monster inside the Great Deku Tree in an attempt to recover the Kokiri's Spiritual Stone and save the Deku Tree's life, this line from the Deku Tree reveals that Link only succeeded at the former task.
Ganondorf: Geh heh heh! Excellent work! As I thought, you held the keys to the Door of Time! You have led me to the gates of the Sacred Realm...Yes, I owe it all to you, kid!
- Later, after Link returns to the Temple of Time and opens the way to the Sacred Realm:
- Link's Awakening: "If the Wind Fish wakes up, everything on this island will be gone forever! And I do mean...EVERYTHING!"
- The Wind Waker: "But the hero never came..."
- Skyward Sword: When the Goddess Sword, the sword you have wielded for most of the game, has absorbed all three flames and transformed. Fi then says "Master, now that it has been tempered by the last of the sacred flames, your blade has finally revealed its true form. You now hold the Master Sword."
- Breath of the Wild has a few, but one of the biggest wasn't even dialogue: it was the Master Sword chiming out Fi's signal when Link was nearly killed by the Guardians.
- Ocarina of Time:
- Lufia & The Fortress of Doom:Daos: "Erim is Lufia. Lufia is Erim."
- From Lunar: The Silver Star:Magic Emperor Ghaleon: "Now...who shall be my queen?" (Dramatic close-up on Luna, still stuck in her Heroic BSoD)
- Mafia II sees one of its ties to the original Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven become clear with this conversation:Vito: Mr. Angelo?
- Make It Good: Context dependent: He hands back the letter opener. "On this; no good, Inspector. The only fingerprints we got were yours - you must have handled it without gloves on. However, the blood is the deceased alright." when the player has used gloves while handling it.
- Manhunt 2: "Everything's gonna be alright, honey."
- Mario & Luigi:
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga: After Peach arrives, she happens to deliver the following line which reveals her voice was never stolen in the first place.Peach: Mario! Luigi!
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team:
"Hmph. Well... this isn't as much fun as I'd hoped. But... Oh well, who cares? This was just for kicks. Because Bowser already kidnapped the real Peach!"
- After Mario and Luigi defeat the Elite Trio, Kamek, who'd sicced them on the brothers after disguising himself as Peach, is annoyed and sentences the trio to KP duty.
Bowser: Hmph! I don't work well with others!
- After working together for most of the game, Bowser suddenly backstabs Antasma and leaves him to fight the Mario Bros. alone:
Antasma: SCREEK! Vut do you mean by this?!
Bowser: I mean you're an idiot! You thought you were using me? ME?! Buddy, I was playing you like a bat fiddle!
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga: After Peach arrives, she happens to deliver the following line which reveals her voice was never stolen in the first place.
- Mass Effect: There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Sovereign.
Shepard: "Sovereign isn't just some Reaper ship Saren found. It's an actual Reaper!"
- The very next line also acts as one:
Sovereign: "The cycle cannot be broken. The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Organic civilizations rise, evolve, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. The Protheans were not the first. They did not create the Citadel. They did not forge the mass relays. They merely found them. The legacy of my kind."
- As well as every single word that Sovereign says, which forever altered any ideas anyone had about the story of the games, cementing Sovereign's status as a Walking Spoiler:
- Mass Effect 2EDI: Only one race is known to have this genetic structure: the Protheans.
EDI: Shepard...If My Calculations Are Correct, the super-structure...is a Reaper.Shepard: Not just any Reaper. A human Reaper.
- Proving it's never too late for a curveball:
Enyala: Niket has reached the terminal. He'll switch the family over to our transport.
- On Miranda's loyalty mission, you overhear radio reports of Enyala's Eclipse Forces, sent to retrieve Oriana for her and Miranda's father, describing where Oriana's escort, Niket, is, until finally...
- Mass Effect 3Admiral Hackett: Nothing's happening. The crucible's not firing.
Miner: What's a Reaper?Shepard: ...what year do you think it is?Miner: 2176.Shepard: 2176 was 10 years ago.
- The double whammy from a miner near the beginning of the Leviathan DLC:
Clone: What do you think, Staff Analyst Brooks? Will the Alliance stop us?Brooks: I wouldn't know. I don't actually work for them.
- From the "Citadel" DLC, Clone Shepard reveals that their accomplice has been pretending to be your ally from the start of the DLC:
- Mass Effect: Andromeda
This is Commander Shepard, signing off.
- At the very end of the othervise quite generic second teaser:
- At the end of Mega Man 7:Mega Man: "I... am... more... than... a... robot! Die, Wily! Die!"Bass: "He who hesitates is lost!"
- The ending of Mega Man X3: "Dr. Light's plan for him will finally be revealed. Unknown to X, his destiny has already been decided. To save mankind, he must destroy Zero."
- Earlier on, in Mega Man X2:
- The Reveal at the end of Mega Man Zero 3:Dr. Weil: "Hehehehehe! Excellent, Zero! Your power is extraordinary, for a fake."
Cyber-Elf X: "I'VE CRACKED THE SECURITY SYSTEM OF THE TRANS SERVER...I'M SORRY THAT IT TOOK SO LONG...BUT NOW YOU CAN ENTER NEO ARCADIA WHENEVER YOU WANT."
- Perhaps not quite as shocking, but there's this exchange from the first MMZ, leading right into the final segment of the game:
Zero: "You...You're the one who gave the Z-Saber to me..."
Cyber-Elf X: "NOW GO. TERMINATE THAT COPY OF ME...TERMINATE WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE..."
- Near the end of the first Mega Man Legends game:Mega Man Juno: Have we met before? Oh, please forgive me. You are a purifier model, assigned to the direct command of Mother. As I recall, you were designated Mega Man Trigger. Please forgive me, I did not recognize you in your current configuration.
Mega Man Volnutt: The keys!Yuna: Now this is a problem. She plans on executing the Carbon Reinitialization Program!Mega Man Volnutt: Carbon Reinitialization Program?Mega Man Volnutt: What!?
- And then from the sequel, we have this:
- The Metal Gear series has quite a few:
- Metal Gear Solid has a few:
- A big one after Snake enters the third PAL code, revealing that Snake has become an Unwitting Pawn in Liquid's plan:Terminal: PAL code number three confirmed. PAL code entry complete. Detonation code activated.
- There's one near the end of the game, revealing Miller's true identity:Colonel: Snake! You've been talking to...
Master Miller: Me... dear brother!
- The very last line of The Stinger after the credits of Metal Gear Solid, during which Ocelot is calling his superior:Ocelot: Yes. [...] Yes. [...] Thank you, Mister President.
- A big one after Snake enters the third PAL code, revealing that Snake has become an Unwitting Pawn in Liquid's plan:
- Metal Gear Solid 2:
- Carrying on the tradition in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater:
- During the ending sequence, EVA reveals a shocking truth about The Boss' motivations.EVA: Snake, listen to me, she didn't betray the United States.
- During The Stinger:Ocelot: I will continue my activities as a contact for the new government. Yes, it appears that no one knew that I was ADAM. Of course. I'm always at the CIA's disposal...Mr. Director.
- During the ending sequence, EVA reveals a shocking truth about The Boss' motivations.
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
- Right before the Final Boss: "Stopped you? Why would I want to do that? This is exactly what I'd hoped for."
- Then there's Liquid Ocelot's Famous Last Words: "You're pretty good."
- There's a Wham Line in the final credits: "BIG BOSS: Richard Doyle" Because at this point, the character had appeared only as an inanimate corpse. Turns out that the corpse was not his, and Big Boss then appears in the stinger.
- Metal Gear Rising: RevengeanceRaiden: The bit about my sword - that "means of justice" stuff? I guess I needed something to keep "the Ripper" in check when I was knee-deep in bodies.
Raiden: But you - all this - is a wake-up call to what I really believe.
Monsoon: What are you saying?
Raiden: I'm saying that Jack is back!
- There's also a pretty memorable one in the final boss fight.
- In Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, there's the opening credits for the true ending, which start off by listing Big Boss... and then end by listing Venom Snake as a separate character.
- Metal Gear Solid has a few:
- Metro 2033:Laser pointer: Five seconds before missile detonation.
Dark One: We want to help. We want peace.Pavel: Sorry, my friend... But you're on the wrong side of the barricade.
- In Super Metroid, the chirping noise that the giant Metroid makes before it releases Samus serves as a cue for the player that it was the Metroid larva from the beginning of the game.
- Metroid Fusion:
- The SA-X generally causes a lot of these:"I have learned the identity of our mystery saboteur...Samus, it's an X mimicking you. ...The SA-X is mimicking you at full power."
"You know that the X reproduce by asexual division. Because of this mechanism, there are now no fewer than 10 SA-X aboard the station."
- Towards the end of the game, Samus stumbles upon the Galactic Federation's Metroid breeding program, discovering in the process that they're Not So Different from the Space Pirates, after which point the AI overseeing her mission tries to lock her in a room until the Federation arrives. However, after she accidentally calls the AI "Adam", the computer mocks Samus's plan to blow up the Biologic Space Labs to stop the X, and then concocts a better plan instead.AI: ...If you were to alter the station's orbit, then you might be able to include the planet in the vaporization field of the self-destruct detonation.
AI: You would have to start the propulsion sequence now. Before the Federation arrives. Samus, this is your last mission. Go to the Operations Room and adjust the station's orbit path to intercept SR388.
*Samus's eyes widen in realization*
- This is immediately followed by the reveal that the AI Samus had called Adam actually is Adam:AI: Then return to your ship and escape. Move quickly, and stay alive. That's an order! Any objections, Lady?
- The SA-X generally causes a lot of these:
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor: "The time has come for a new Ring." Note that Word of God specifically stated the Master Ring AND any copies are absolute corruption incarnate, so no matter how heroic the person who says the above, they WILL be corrupted. And it's fairly clear their adviser has been corrupted for too long.
- So you played through Mighty Milky Way, guided the adorable Super-Deformed Green-Skinned Space Babe protagonist through various Nintendo Hard galaxies, and finally beat the Eye Beam emitting Cyborg 'Tyrannosaurus rex'' of a boss five times, only to stare in confusion at the end of the last level which doesn't have the usual black hole as the end goal. What just happened? Then the final screen comes up with the following text, accompanied by a clickable button that says "What Have I Done!?":
- Minecraft: Story Mode: At the end of Episode 3, after either Gabriel or Petra saves Jesse from the reawakening Wither Storm:Jesse: C'mon, Gabriel/Petra! We've gotta go!Gabriel/Petra: Who's...who's Gabriel/Petra?
Gabriel/Petra: I remember! I remember!Axel: Remember what?Gabriel/Petra: I remember everything.
- Then, in episode 4:
- Modern Warfare 2:
- The end of "No Russian", when the Big Bad Makarov reveals his plan to spark a war between Russia and the United States.Makarov: That was no message...*bang* This is a message.
- The end of "The Gulag", when the identity of the mysterious Prisoner 627 is revealed.Subtitles: Captain Price
- At the end of "Contingency", when the true purpose of your mission in Russia is revealed.Ghost: Captain Price! The silo doors are opening on the sub! Price! Do you read me? THE SILO DOORS ARE OPEN!
- At the end of "Loose Ends", it looks as if Roach and Ghost will be able to get through their mission and escape with the intelligence they were told to acquire. But it turns out Shepherd has other plans:General Shepherd: Good. That's one less loose end. (draws a gun and shoots Roach in the stomach and Ghost in the head)
- Relatedly, there's a certain garbled radio transmission in "Loose Ends":Captain Price: We're under attack by Shepherd's men at the boneyard! Do not trust Shepherd! I say again, do not trust Shepherd!
- Modern Warfare 3 has one during "Blood Brothers."Makarov: Yuri, my friend. You never should have come here.
Soap: You need to know...Makarov...knows...Yuri...
- "Eyewitnesses are now reporting Russian tanks rolling down the Champs-Élysées."
- The end of "Turbulence" has one that's written rather than spoken: Objective Failed *bang*
- The end of "No Russian", when the Big Bad Makarov reveals his plan to spark a war between Russia and the United States.
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate has one that mostly just impacts a side plot and is Played for Laughs. When you complete the final Egg Syndicate sidequest, you get a letter that gives away the identity of the syndicate's leader:"Harrumph!note Egg-cellent work! I knew you had the eggs to pull it off!"
- Mother 3:
- Late into Chapter 1:Bronson: ...It's where I found the Drago Fang. It was...in your...It was pierced through your wife's heart...
- And also near the end of the game:Flint: That...that masked man? He's Claus. Lucas...he's your brother...Claus.
- And at the end of the final battlenote :
- Late into Chapter 1:
- Neverwinter Nights:
Desther: No, Lady Aribeth, I have the cure.
- After the ritual to make the cure to the Wailing Death is completed, Desther reveals himself as the traitor inside Neverwinter, as an agent of the cult behind the plague.
- From the expansion Hordes of the Underdark:Mephistopheles: I shall *not* do as you desire, great Valsharess.
- The New Order Last Days Of Europe:
''The Reichsfuhrer SS has a vision for a new world, one where the corrupt have been wiped away and the lesser races have been purged. A world where the Aryan is free to settle as he sees fit, building a new society within the framework of National Socialism. And it is a world forged in the fires of global thermonuclear war.
- In the final focus of Burgundy's focus tree, after Hitler's assassination attempt, Himmler reveals his ultimate plan.
George Zhukov: Comrade Mendriks. I have come to bargain.
- One of the ending slides from the Old World Blues demo has the Ural League facing off against the resurgent Soviet state to the west. The League prepares to defend itself from the very same state that threw them in the gulags, and then a communique comes through.
- If Kemerovo/The Kingdom of Rus is the state to reform Russia in the main game, the last words of "King Rurik II" on his deathbed, directed at his children, implies that Major-General Nikolai Krylov was perfectly sane all along and "Rurik" was just an act.
- NieREmil: So then humans...I mean, the true humans...they're extinct?
Weiss: No. They still live on. You know them as Shades.
- NieR: Automata9S: Humanity is extinct. That moon server you're so worried about was invented to give us androids something to fight for. And YoRHa was built to perpetuate the lie. But in order to make sure no one ever learned the truth, we were designed to be killed. They built a back door into the bunker and programmed it to activate after a certain amount of time. The commander? Me? 2B? Sacrificial lambs, all of us. Isn't that HILARIOUS?! DOESN'T IT MAKE YOU LAUGH?!
- No Straight Roads: Over the course of the game, Mayday and Zuke have been setting out to prove to the tyrannical label NSR that rock is better than EDM when it comes to powering Vinyl City, with EDM apparently creating a 47% power output. After defeating NSR's CEO, Mayday starts boasting about how much more power rock could give the city while Zuke checks to see how much energy the duo produced during the fight...only for him to drop this bombshell:"It's, uh...still 47%."
Tatiana: I'm Kul Fyra, you nimwits!
- Shortly before that scene, there's this line - made whammy not so much because of its content, but because of who says it:
- Not for Broadcast: Not the game itself, but at the end of the trailer for the upcoming third and final episode (which currently plays at the end of Episode 2 at the time of its release) we get this line from the National Nightly Newsroom manager Jenny Skywalker (though only in voice): "Jeremy?" Depending on what happened in "Day 296: The Heatwave", those who had Jeremy Donaldson arrested for the Hostage Situation are speculating that the line is an indication that he could be rescued via a prison break, while those who let him die (either by suicide or by security) are speculating that he could be brought Back from the Dead; it could go either way once Episode 3 is released.Chad And Russ: No way! Can it be... Zombie Jeremy?!?!
- Octopath Traveler:
Lianna: Father... is no longer with us...
- In Ophilia's route, she sets out to carry out the Kindling pilgrimage in her adoptive sister Lianna's stead, since Lianna is distressed over her father having taken ill. After Ophilia completes her stop in Goldshore, she's surprised to see Lianna in town.
Lianna: I'm sorry, Phili. But this is for Father's sake. You're always so kind. I'll know you'll understand.
- Not long after the above, Ophilia tries to comfort Lianna, only to collapse to her knees. Lianna then delivers the following line, to admit to drugging Ophilia.
Simeon: Oh, I'm sorry. I heard you were looking around for my friend here. And you know what they say about birds of a feather...
- In Primrose's route, after killing the second of the three men with crow tattoos killed her father, she sees her Childhood Friend Simeon come up to her. After Simeon stabs her, he says the following. In a gameplay example, the name on his dialogue tags changes to "Simeon the Puppet Master" as he says "It was me."
Primrose: The mark... of the crow...
Simeon: The head of the Obisidians? The crow atop the roost? And, oh yes, the one who killed your dear, dear father... ...It was me.
- Ōkamiden has one when you finally confront the Big Bad:Akuro: And so we meet again, Child of the Sun...Or should I say, Mutt?
- After the defeat of Enoch, if you haven't revisited a purified zone yet:Enoch: This zone, deprived of a guardian, is now destined to disappear... and the men who live here, whether they deserve it or not, will fall into nothingness, never to return.
- And from just before the confrontation with the Queen:The Queen: I will not let you lay a hand on the son that has brought us into the world.
- After the defeat of Enoch, if you haven't revisited a purified zone yet:
- After the tutorial section, the game asks the player to enter the name of your character. Except there's one thing: you can't name Omori with his own name. You're naming another playable character.You see a boy sleeping in his room. What's his name?
- After the tutorial section, the game asks the player to enter the name of your character. Except there's one thing: you can't name Omori with his own name. You're naming another playable character.
- In One Chance, each day begins with "In X days, every single living cell on Planet Earth will be dead. You have one chance." The final day changes this a bit:Today, every single living cell on Planet Earth will die. You had one chance.
- Perfect Vermin: In the Chaos Level, the newsreporter is a Body Horror-ridden mess apologizing for his Jerkass behavior. As the Timed Mission keeps ticking down, he has this to say:Do not worry yourself with the timer. It is not for you. I am being unborn.
- Pinstripe: The very last line of the game turns the ending on its head. You've rescued your daughter and have escaped from the hellish region, and are seemingly back home. But then you see a familiar-looking woman on a bench...Bo: Mummy?
- Planescape: Torment: When you find a copy of the message written in the scars on your back:To your surprise, there's one more line—one that Morte didn't read to you in the Mortuary: "Don't trust the skull."
- Planet Of The Eyes: You find this audio log alongside a destroyed robot. Thing is, you were supposed to be the first Earth robot to step foot on this planet, yet this one is the same model as you and its power core has apparently exploded. That's when the engineer who designed you realized why this mission was so classified:Engineer: You're not an explorer... you're a bomb.
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and DarknessDusknoir: This is goodbye...or is it?
- Also, the exchange between the Player Character, the partner, Grovyle & Dusknoir at the Passage of Time, as they (the player, partner & Grovyle) are heading back to the past, so that Grovyle can finish what he had started doing to save the world, has this.Grovyle: But... hope is still alive. Celebi, you remember... That last time...when I traveled back in time to prevent the planet's paralysis... I wasn't alone. There was another.
Partner: What?! Grovyle, you didn't come to our world alone?!
Grovyle: That's right. I had a partner. We headed to the past together. But when we were going through the Passage of Time, we had trouble... We became separated. My partner should still be back in the world of the past. Even if I am eliminated... My partner will see our mission through to the end. My partner will prevent the planet's paralysis.
Dusknoir: ..................... Ha! Ha-ha-ha! Hoo-hoo-ha!
Grovyle: What's... What's so funny?
Dusknoir: Ha! So you claim someone went to the past with you... Incidentally, what's the name of your partner? Go on. Say the name.
Grovyle: Why ask such a thing?
Dusknoir: Can't tell me?
Grovyle: No, that's not true. My Partner's name is Hello, [Insert Name Here]. My best friend...
Player Character: (What?!)
Partner: Wh-what?! Grovyle! Did you say Hello, [Insert Name Here]?! Well, this is Hello, [Insert Name Here] right here!
Grovyle: What?! You're...Hello, [Insert Name Here]? ...No...it can't be. It isn't. The Hello, [Insert Name Here] I know isn't a Pokémon. The Hello, [Insert Name Here] that I know...is a human.
Dusknoir: Hoo-hoo-ha! Precisely! My good fellow! Grovyle, that is unmistakably your friend Hello, [Insert Name Here]!
Dusknoir: That Pokémon you see was once a human!
- Also, this line heard at the end of the game:Darkrai: Naturally. That very accident was caused by...none other than myself...
- And in the special episode "In the Future of Darkness" in Sky:Dusknoir: In the end, you have lost! You've lost because...you trusted me!
Grovyle: No...I don't believe that...(Dusknoir gets suspicious) I...I wasn't wrong...I...I still...trust you...
Dusknoir: Do my ears deceive me?!
- This line at the end of the main game creditsDialga: This is my gift. Please accept it! [cue the revival of the player's Pokémon]
- Also, the exchange between the Player Character, the partner, Grovyle & Dusknoir at the Passage of Time, as they (the player, partner & Grovyle) are heading back to the past, so that Grovyle can finish what he had started doing to save the world, has this.
- Pokémon Red and Blue has one after you defeat Lance. It Was His Sled is in effect now, but it still counts given that at the time, the player expects Lance to be the Final Boss.Lance: I still can't believe my dragons lost to you, Player! You're now the Pokémon League champion! ...Or, you would have been, but you have one more challenge ahead. You have to face another trainer! His name is... Your Rival! He beat the Elite Four before you. He is the real Pokémon League champion!
- From Pokémon Gold and Silver and the remakes as you talk to the mysterious trainer at the top of Mt. Silver:Trainer: ..............
PKMN Trainer Red would like to battle!
- Pokémon Black and White has one about halfway through the game, with the wham furthered by how it's implied to be casually delivered:N: First, I must tell you...I am the king of Team Plasma.
- From Pokémon X and Y: "In reality, those stones that line Route 10 are the graves of Pokémon."
- A fairly minor one shows up earlier and might let you know that Team Flare isn't as silly as it seems:Allow me to spell it out for you! It's so Team Flare - and only Team Flare - can survive!
- A huge one comes from Lysandre via the Holo Caster that reveals him as the boss of Team Flare after you defeat the seventh Gym Leader, Olympia:Lysandre: Pokémon Trainers. I come to you by the Holo Caster to make an important announcement. Listen well. Team Flare will revive the ultimate weapon, eliminate everyone who isn't in our group, and return the world to a beautiful, natural state. Unproductive fools are consuming our future... If nothing changes, the world will become ugly and conflicts will raze the land from end to end. I repeat. We will use the ultimate weapon and wipe the slate clean. I'm sorry, those of you who are not members of Team Flare, but this is adieu to you all.
- And then from AZ's story.There was a man and a Pokémon. He loved that Pokémon very much. A war began. The man's beloved Pokémon took part in the war. Several years passed. He was given a tiny box.
- Before the final battle against Team Flare's leader.I, too, shall use the Mega Ring and Mega Stone that you researched during your travels.
- A fairly minor one shows up earlier and might let you know that Team Flare isn't as silly as it seems:
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire does one on a meta-level implying the existence of the multiverse.Zinnia: My people know it. From generation to generation, we pass along the lore about the distortions in the world born by the Mega Evolution mechanism. And about the existence of another world, which we have long observed to be just like this one and yet not the same... That's right. A Hoenn region that's almost exactly like this one we live in. Filled with Pokémon and people like us. A world where maybe the evolution of Pokémon took a slightly different path, where Mega Evolution is unknown... A world where that war 3,000 years ago...never happened. A world where the ultimate weapon was never even built. And in that Hoenn of that world... What would happen if one day, out of the blue, a meteoroid appeared? What would happen to the people of that world, without the technology to destroy the meteoroid or the power to warp it away? ... Looks like it's beyond the power of your imagination.
- Pokémon Sun and Moon:
- This line during the Wham Episode not only gives you some insight into Gladion and Lillie's backstory, it's also the first indication into Lusamine's true colors.Gladion: I was like an ornament to my mother. Wearing whatever she told me to wear, acting however she wanted me to act...
- The truth about Lillie and her mother, Lusamine, comes out:Lillie: I don't need your approval, mother!
- And the other half of that:Lusamine: The daughter who stole my Cosmog from me, and the son who took my Type: Null!
- And naturally, the reveal of the Final Boss as a Call-Back to Gen 1:Professor Kukui: Oh yeah, Now you're the Pokémon League Champion! [shakes his head] Wouldn't it be nice if it were that simple?
- This line during the Wham Episode not only gives you some insight into Gladion and Lillie's backstory, it's also the first indication into Lusamine's true colors.
- Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon:
- You're plowing down Team Rainbow Rocket, when suddenly:"[Team Rainbow Rocket boss member] is about to send in [Legendary Pokémon]. Will you switch your Pokémon?"
- Or if playing with the Set battle style:"[Team Rainbow Rocket boss member] sent out [Legendary Pokémon]!"
- The Lysandre battle also contains a unique example, since it reintroduces a mechanic otherwise completely unseen in the Generation VII campaigns:
- Up to Eleven when you battle Giovanni. If him sending out Mewtwo wasn't surprising enough, what goes next probably will be:
- Before all that, when you get to Megalo Tower:
- You're plowing down Team Rainbow Rocket, when suddenly:
- From Portal
- The moment when you realize GLaDOS is more than just a pre-recorded message is certainly shocking.GLaDOS: [clearly shocked] What are you doing? Stop it! I... I... [gibberish, then calmly...] We are pleased that you have made it through the final challenge where we pretended we were going to murder you.
- From the ending of Portal; notable is that this was not in the original game and was patched in as part of an Alternate Reality Game add-on more than two years after release.Robot: Thank you for assuming the party escort submission position!
- The moment when you realize GLaDOS is more than just a pre-recorded message is certainly shocking.
- Portal 2:
- Early in the game, you have to walk through GLaDOS's former chamber, where her lifeless chassis is still lying in pieces. Even after Wheatley inadvertently boots her up and repairs her, there's the hope that her memory will have been wiped...but then, with three words, you realize that things are about to get much, much worse:GLaDOS: ...oh. It's you.
- As you're about to finally escape the facility...
- Shortly afterward, we get this from GLaDOS after Wheatley puts her in a potato:GLaDOS: (to Wheatley) I know you... [...] The engineers tried everything to make me... behave. To slow me down... Once, they even attached an Intelligence Dampening Sphere on me... It clung to my brain like a tumor, generating an endless stream of terrible ideas... [...] It was YOUR voice! [...] YOU'RE the tumor! You're not just a regular moron... You were DESIGNED to be a moron.'
- These lines that confirm GLaDOS's former identity.
- From the start of Chapter 7.Cave Johnson: The testing area is just up ahead. The quicker you get through, the quicker you'll get your sixty bucks!
GLaDOS: Hold on, who-
Cave Johnson: Caroline, are the compensation vouchers ready?
GLaDOS and Caroline, simultaneously: Yes sir, Mister Johnson!
GLaDOS: (panicked) Why did I just- Who is that?! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HE- (shorts out)
- After Cave's infamous Lemon-rant.Cave Johnson: If I die before you people can pour me into a computer, I want Caroline to run this place. (coughs) Now she'll argue. She'll say she can't. She's modest like that. But you MAKE HER! Hell, put her in MY computer, I don't care!
- From the start of Chapter 7.
- "PART 5! BOOBY TRAP THE STALEMATE BUTTON!" Yes, this came right after the trap was activated, but you'll probably be too shocked to realize what happened when the line is said.
- The Perpetual Testing Initiative we have one given after the "CaveDOS-arc" that completely turns the notion of "Cave Prime" on its head:Cave Prime: Whoa! Chariots chariots. For some reason, some of the audio was bleeding through in this universe. Don't know if you were catching the subtext there, but that computer Cave is crazy. So: Greg was right. As of now, we are cancelling the Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System initiative.
- An older version of the game would have had one in the form of Chell actually talking. It was only a single word—"Yes"—but it was enough for the test audience to go from laughing to completely silent.
- Early in the game, you have to walk through GLaDOS's former chamber, where her lifeless chassis is still lying in pieces. Even after Wheatley inadvertently boots her up and repairs her, there's the hope that her memory will have been wiped...but then, with three words, you realize that things are about to get much, much worse:
- Prey (2017):Alex: "What you experienced was a reconstruction of Morgan's memories. Let me show you something... this (screens show a view of a city, enveloped in Typhon coral) is the world today. [...] You're the bridge between our species."
- The Professor Layton series
"If you're not really my child, who exactly are you?"
- Professor Layton and the Curious Village, Professor Layton to Inspector Chelmey: No inspector, it has quite a bit to do with you. If there is any criminal element involved in this case...then it is you sir! The finger-pointing that goes along with it has since been repeated in every game.
- Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, Celeste reveals herself as a temporarily time-shifted Claire by saying "You've taken good awfully good care of that hat I gave you", and also, in the line before, addressing Layton by his first name rather than "Professor".
- Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, when the professor is faced with the masked gentleman, he says this, revealing his identity as his supposedly dead friend, Randall:Layton: It pains me to see you like this, Randall.
- Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, during a flashback with a younger Professor Layton: "But Hershel, I want to stay with you!" Said by Hershel Layton to Descole.
- Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney has this line near the end during the Storyteller's testimony that cements The Reveal.The Storyteller: Although you may know me as the Storyteller, I have one more identity. I am the president of Labrelum Inc. This whole town... is one of Labrelum's research facilities.
- The spinoff, Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy. has one as the final line, when Katrielle mentions something her missing father asked her.
- At the end of Project X Zone 2:Reiji: Xiaomu... will you marry me?
- [PROTOTYPE]:Alex: Who are you? Who sent you?
Cross: You should pick your friends more carefully, Mercer.
- Later on:Alex: I'm not human. The revelation...it freed me. It killed me. I'm not human. *uneasy chuckle* Alex is just the role I play. Part of me was relieved...and part of me died. Just another disguise, right? So ingrained...so real...even I believe it.
- And also from Director McMullen"Alex Mercer died. He died threatening to release the most deadly virus in history on the people of New York."
- Later on:
- In the Wii version of Punch-Out!!, after Little Mac succesfully defends his champion belt against all opponents (including former champion Mr. Sandman), he and Doc Louis talk about the former's "plans in mind" for the future. Cue the start of the seventh and final boxing circuit of the game:Doc Louis: You really sure? Three losses and you call it quits?
- From the final level of Quantum Conundrum, right as you finish activating the Uber IDS, Professor Quadwrangle's memory of how he got stuck in the Pocket Dimension finally returns...and you suddenly realize that you've just done the exact wrong thing:Professor Quadwrangle: EXCESSIVE SCIENCE JUICE FLOODING?! WAIT, NO! I UNDERSTAND NOW! ALL THE FLOODING IS CAUSING AN UNSTABLE ENERGY FLOW TO THE IDS! I REALLY NEED TO GET YOU OUT OF THERE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! I-I NEED YOU TO GET TO THE CORE OF THE IDS DEVICE! I REMEMBER NOW!! THERE'S A POCKET DIMENSION THERE AS PART OF THE MACHINE'S FAIL SAFE! THAT'S...THAT'S WHY I'M IN THE POCKET DIMENSION! I PUT MYSELF HERE ON PURPOSE!!
- Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army:
- Rain World:Five Pebbles: ...Is this reaching you?
- Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters:Luna: I haven't had a chance to tell my "friends" about your heroic deeds.
- RayStorm pulls one in the ending, in the 13-ship mode's stinger:"Earth and Secilia have vanished. Likewise, those that developed the "RAY" technology and all evidence of its existence have been wiped away. No record of R-GRAY craft was found, and no R-GRAY craft has ever returned."
- In The Reconstruction, everything looks like it'll be fine and the world will be saved, but this banks on the fact that the third Watcher hasn't messed anything up. But that's okay, you're still on schedule and know where he is...or do you?"Third Watcher? You mean Donz? I thought he went down with you guys, Ma!"
- Red Dead Redemption 2:
Agent Milton: What a fine young man... and in such complex circumstances. Arthur, isn't it? Arthur Morgan? (his partner cocks his gun)
- The quest "A Fisher of Men" seems innocuous at first, with Arthur taking Jack on a fishing trip at Abigail's request... and then a pair of well-dressed men ride up, and you meet two people who will be important not just in this game, but in another one...
Arthur: Who are you?
Agent Milton: Yes, Arthur Morgan, Van der Linde's most trusted associate. You've read the files, typical case... orphan street kid seduced by that maniac's silver tongue and matures into a degenerate murderer. Agent Milton.(indicates his partner)Agent Ross.
Dutch: I don't feel too good.
- During the Saint Denis trolley heist, the trolley the gang uses to escape crashes, with Dutch taking a nasty blow to the head. As the game goes on, Dutch's personality begins to shift, becoming more and more like the ruthless Straw Nihilist we see in the first game. Take into account the idea that the crash might have given him a concussion, and this seemingly innocuous line becomes far more sinister:
- Reflec Beat: Not necessarily within the game itself, but: During the finals of the Reflec Beat tournament at the 5th Konami Arcade Championship in 2016, a reveal trailer was played to hype up the final song, "Rebellio". After a long speech from Tatsuya Iyama's "MAX MAXIMIZER" alter ego, one line appeared that upended the revised 1-12 difficulty scale that had been introduced into the series just five months earlier:XIII — DIFFICULTY
- Resident Evil 5:Wesker: I would expect you to be happier to see us.
- Resident Evil 6:Carla Radames: (to Jake Muller) So, you're Wesker Junior.
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2:Natalia: Moira... she's dead...
The reveal of the Big Bad at the end of Episode 2:
Natalia: That IS Wesker. Alex Wesker.
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard: After you kill Eveline at the end of the game, the soldier who tossed you the gun you used to finish her off approaches you, removing his helmet and introducing himself...
- Resident Evil Village: One delivered to Ethan by Eveline that completely recontextualize the events of both Resident Evil 7 and Village.
- Risk of Rain, in the very last line of the final boss' monster log:"...why did we have a teleporter from this planet in our cargo hold?"
- River City Girls gives us this exchange occurs cluing us in on what happens in the ending after you beat the Bonus Boss.
- The Room (Mobile Game):
- "I can no longer enter the wine cellar."
- "There are Rooms EVERYWHERE."
- While relating his story about how RKS was formed and why he launched the coup against the Holy Empire, Count Michael Zeppelin reveals a shocking secret about his daughter, Iris:Zeppelin: Fate is indeed cruel. My precious Iris... She was blessed with every ounce of power that Rosenkreuz had accumulated throughout his life.
Lilli: ...So, in other words, she's the reincarnation of Rosenkreuz?
Zeppelin: That she is.
- After the boss fight following the dialogue between Spiritia and Zeppelin, Lilli asks why Iris was at the Imperial Training Hall when the coup started if what he said about the Orthodox Church wanting Iris dead and him finding out about Kahl is true. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning unexpectedly strikes Zeppelin from behind and burns him away, and the line that sets up the true Big Bad comes out in the form of a familiar voice, just like this:
- If that's not enough, the same Big Bad even reveals the true reason for starting the coup against the Empire to Tia and Lilli, and, of course, it definitely wasn't a very good reason at all.Iris: I was born with absolute power and unparalleled brains. Now, when someone knows everything there is to know about something, they get bored with it. That's the reason why I chose to stage this revolution: to make this world just a little less boring.
- Before the final battle of the first game, Iris reveals something she learned when she saw Spiritia's Power Copying capabilities for herself leading her to wonder where she got all that energy from:Iris: I inherited Rosenkreuz's magical prowess and the abundance of knowledge he acquired over the course of his life. That more than qualified me to take my rightful place at the pinnacle of this world. But there was one thing I didn't inherit. The very thing that defined him most as an individual: his ability to tap into the strength of others.
Iris: You've gained quite a few new abilities in such a short while, haven't you? I was a fool to have let that gone unnoticed. You are his other incarnation, "the Blade of Rosenkreuz".
- While relating his story about how RKS was formed and why he launched the coup against the Holy Empire, Count Michael Zeppelin reveals a shocking secret about his daughter, Iris:
- Second Sight:Hanson: You can't change the past!
Vattic: You're wrong, Hanson. This isn't the past! Its the present!
- The Secret World:
- The climax of Issue #7 begins with the unveiling of your so-called companion's true identity, and the revelation that you've been helping the Big Bad all along - all with a single word powerful enough to make the player character suffer a terror-induced seizure.
- In the conclusion of the same issue, Emma Smith is confronted by a horde of Filth creatures, all of which seem to be taking a very specific interest in her. By now, most players will be familiar with the Morninglight's Catchphrase, but this showdown offers the first major clue that the cult is even more sinister than first believed.Emma: What... what do you want with me? I'm so small. You eat stars!
The Dreamers: You are all made of stars.
- Lore for Winter Holidays 2013 concludes with a short story of a little girl being mutilated by her father in a ritual that leaves the left side of her body dead and her vision split between the real world and the spirit world; the ending lines of this tale provide a shock revelation of the characters' true identity and their true motivation.
- Picking up your first Black Lore item drops a whammy firmly in the lap of dedicated Lore readers; up until now, the Buzzing has been the best possible source of information on the mysteries of the Secret World... but with this line, it's revealed that there's something out there that can hijack the Buzzing's signal...
- Exploring the abandoned Fear Nothing Foundation headquarters has probably left players with the impression that something very bad happened here, but it's not until you find the last journal entry in the place that the true horror becomes apparent:
- The final act of Issue #11 reaches its most violent stage when Samael decides to bring out the next line of defense - and in the process, reveals that players aren't the only characters with access to the power of the Bees...
- And another one crops up later in the same issue, when it's revealed that the attack on Orochi Tower was just a cover for something much more dangerous.Lilith: Search the shallow dung-heap that is your soul and tell me truly if you think you can beat me.
John: I... cant. Oh, I cant I cant I cant. But I dont have to beat you. I just have to distract you. Until they come.
- In SEVEN's CODE, the titular city is described as a "microcosm of the human body", inspired by the human body's similarity to a city. At the end of the fifth chapter, the player is left with a line that pretty much flips the entire concept of the city on its head:Aurora: I am SEVEN's CODE.
- Shadow Hearts: The line revealing the true goal of Disk-One Final Boss: The it isn't the Demon Gate Invocation that he's preparing to cast, but the Inverse Demon Gate Invocation, and that he is literally summoning a god, something much, much stronger than anyone expected.
- Shin Megami Tensei IV
- While you may have puzzled it out already due to the presence of Schizo Tech, it's only once you get to the bottom of the Sky Pillar that it's confirmed the game takes place not in Medieval times, but After the End:Abbot Hugo: It seems you've safely reached the Unclean Ones' country... Tokyo.
- In the basement of Reverse Hills, you find out exactly what Mr. Tayama is up to, and why he's so evil he makes Demon Lords cringe:Ashura-kai scientist: Is this all the brains you got today?
- In Blasted Tokyo, you discover the man you just helped may well be a significant figure from the Backstory:Jonathan: If that were to happen, you would be King Akira of the Eastern Kingdom of-
- While you may have puzzled it out already due to the presence of Schizo Tech, it's only once you get to the bottom of the Sky Pillar that it's confirmed the game takes place not in Medieval times, but After the End:
- Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
- One line from Odin not only heavily foreshadows one of the game's biggest twists, but also names a character who hasn't been seen or even named in a very long time:Odin: You know as well as I do, Lucifer will side with YHVH.
- The line revealing the identity of two of the villains:Jonathan: Lucifer and Merkabah are to become one and return to their original form.
- After the two villains fuse:Satan: I am Satan, the ancient angel... The Arbiter.
- One line from Odin not only heavily foreshadows one of the game's biggest twists, but also names a character who hasn't been seen or even named in a very long time:
- Silent Hill:
- Silent Hill 2:
- Vincent's line from Silent Hill 3 has scarier implications than the rest of the game combined; he claims to have been just joking, but that hasn't stopped players from suddenly seeing the game in a different light.Vincent: Monsters? They looked like monsters to you? [Heather gasps in horror] Don't worry, it's just a joke!
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories:
- "I know you're not Harry Mason!"
- Near the end, Cybil says: "But Harry Mason was killed in a car crash 18 years ago!"
- Dr. K delivers a "The Reason You Suck" Speech to the player and then gives us the line that reveals who we were actually playing as:Kaufmann: The dad walking around in your head isn't even a ghost. A frankenstein's monster, a child's fantasy... But you're alive. Your mother is alive. She's not the monster you make her out to be. You need to live your life... Cheryl.
- Sin and Punishment: Star Successor: note Kachi: Long ago, I wasn't called Kachi. I was known as...Achi.
Valentine, speaking to Painwheel: It's too late for that - I'll have to take care of this myself. And if I can't, come and find me and we'll try again. And again. Until you finally succeed.
- For the first six (non-DLC) story modes, Valentine is a Deadly Doctor and one of Bloody Marie's Co-Dragons, who speaks of conducting 'relatively painless' experiments on the ten-year-old Umbrella, finds 'mutilating' Ms. Fortune's immortal body fascinating and turned the innocent schoolgirl Carol into the nightmarish Living Weapon Painwheel. Then, after all of these, Valentine's story is unlocked. The first of the two Wham Lines is the smaller - when she encounters, fights and defeats Painwheel in Little Innsmouth, Painwheel roars that she still hasn't given up on finding and killing Valentine. Valentine replies 'Good - I'm counting on it!'. This is made clearer by the second line, the one that reveals that Valentine does actually feel remorse for some of the things she was forced to do, which comes after Valentine saves Painwheel from her monstrous co-dragon Double:
Double: It was you... You murdered them!... Aeon... Venus... You killed... my daughters...! You... destroyed my kingdom...!
- Eliza's Story Mode reveals the full extent of how much Eliza is responsible for creating the Crapsack World of the setting when the emissary of the Divine Trinity speaks:
- Sly 2: Band of Thieves:Jean Bison: I ain't like you boy, I ain't stew-pid. When y'all were unconscious me and my boys paid a visit to your hideout and found all them Clockwerk Parts. Lucky thing, too; Arpeggio was willing to plunk down a King's ransom for the whole lot. I even threw in the Talons.
Bentley: Pick me up! I can't walk!
- And one of the last lines in the game...
- In SOMA, shortly before leaving Omicron Station, Simon hears his previous incarnation speaking to Catherine.Simon: Catherine, why was he still talking?
- Sonic Adventure:
E-102 Gamma: E-105 Zeta rescue mission complete. Units remaining.... Gamma...Beta.Sonic: Oh, it's you! The one who sealed Chaos within the Master Emerald...Tikal...
- This line right before the Final Boss of E-102 Gamma's story mode:
- Sonic Adventure 2:
Rouge: Here are the results of the research project called the Ultimate Life Form. But, if this picture is the real ultimate life form named "Shadow"...then exactly who...or what...is standing in front of me?
- Near the end of the Dark Story, Rouge confronts Shadow with something peculiar she found on the ARK's computer:
Maria: Shadow, I beg of you...please, do it for me, for a better future, for all people on that planet...give them a chance to be happy! Let them live for their dreams! Shadow, I know you can do it...that's the reason why you were brought into this world...
- In the Last Story, Shadow recalls Maria's last words in their entirety and realizes what she truly wished for humanity:
- Sonic Heroes: "All life form data... successfully copied."
Vector: Doctor Eggman, I presume.
- And at the end of Team Chaotix's story:
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006):
Omega: Shadow. The one who defeats and seals you into the future... is me.
- Omega's confession to Shadow after clearing Wave Ocean:
- Soul Nomad & the World Eaters, in the Demon Path:Revya: You annoy me. That's all.
- Soul Sacrifice:My name is Geoffery Librom.
- Both Space Channel 5 games have this at one point.
"There's something wrong with the TV!"
- Space Channel 5
- Space Channel 5 Part 2
- Spec Ops: The Line:
- This line from one of the hundreds of enemy soldiers killed by you using White Phosphorous:
Walker: You brought this on yourselves.
Soldier: We were...helping...
Konrad: It seems the reports of my... survival... have been greatly exaggerated.
- Someone turning the Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated trope on its head.
Walker: This is impossible...
Konrad: Oh, I assure you, it is.
Konrad: The truth, Walker, is that you're here because you wanted to feel like something you're not: A hero.
- Basically every line that follows the above is a Wham Line in some way. Notably, a rare case of fourth-wall breaking in a completely non-humorous way, as well as completely summing up the message of the story...
Walker: This is Captain Martin Walker, requesting immediate evacuation of Dubai. Survivors:... one too many.
- Walker's call for evacuation if you choose to shoot Konrad:
- From the closest thing the game has to a Bad Ending:
- An interesting case with the Splatterhouse remake, as it is also a Call-Back to the intro cutscene and the second game, when Dr. West mentions finding something that could help bring his wife back:The Terror Mask: She doesn't have to die.
- Throughout the story mode in Splatoon 2, the player and Marie have been getting several threatening messages from someone. But it isn't until the final message comes in upside-down that Marie realizes who is sending them.Marie: Wait...CALLIE?!
Telephone: INGREDIENT ACQUISITION COMPLETE... REFORMATTING MATTER...
- Given the Splatoon series's love of repurposing random, everyday objects as weapons and technology, it would seem perfectly reasonable that your means of transport to the surface in Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion was a giant blender. Until the moment you're inside, and the Telephone drops the act.
- Spider-Man (PS4) has two, revolving around characters being Secret Secret-Keeper with Peter Parker's alter ego.Doctor Octopus: Such a disappointment... Parker.Aunt May: Take off your mask; I want to see my nephew.
- Splinter Cell: Conviction gives us Grim telling Sam that his daughter is alive. His reaction nicely mirrors our own.
- Splinter Cell: Blacklist has one when Sam breaks into Guantanamo Bay detention camp to find out why a detainee he captured earlier is giving false information to the CIA.Reza Nouri: I'll give you names. I'll give you names. Sam Fisher... Anna Grimsdottir... Isaac Briggs, Charlie Cole. Your team, your plane, Fourth Echelon. He knows all of it!
- Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! has the title villain showing up and declaring, So, you thought youd gotten rid of me? Well, Im afraid not! He then steals the power crystal needed to send Spyro home and takes over the Winter Tundra castle. (Ripto IS the final boss, and Winter Tundra is the final world, so this trope is justified in that regard.)
- From Spyro: Year of the Dragon, the Sorceress reveals her motives.The Sorceress: That's it! I've had enough! I'm going to create a monster to end all monsters! And I'm going to send it out to destroy all the Dragons, even the little hatchlings. Yes! YES! It will smash them and crush them and grind them and tear them! Oh, yes! Smear them and smoosh them and crack them and CREASE THEM!Bianca: But, uh, won't that kill them?The Sorceress: It doesn't matter! As long as I can still collect their wings!
- STALKER: "What you need is here. Come to me."
- Also, in the true ending: "There was a mistake. Your mission was to kill yourself."
- An earlier one that sets up the revelation from the true ending:
- Doc: "Strelok, hey come on, man, wake up. That's better. You had me worried there for a second. What the Hell, man, you lose your memory or something?"
- Star Fox 64:
Slippy: Why are ships coming out of the base?
- On Fortuna, a seemingly ordinary All-Range Mode mission gets significantly more complex in the space of this exchange, which heralds the arrival of Star Wolf.
ROB 64: A bomb has been planted at the base.
Fox: Jeez! Can anyone take care of it?
Wolf: Can't let you do that, Star Fox!
- When all seems lost after Andross is destroyed in a massive explosion, in the the hopes of destroying Fox, Fox hears, "Don't ever give up, my son" from his supposedly dead father.
- StarCraft:Arcturus Mengsk: Belay that order. We're moving out.note
The Overmind: Arise, my daughter. Arise... Kerrigan.note
Samir Duran: Excuse me Admiral, but I'd like to introduce someone to you.note
Samir Duran: Magnificent, isn't it?note
Tassadar: I come to tell you of this creature's...courage.
Arcturus Mengsk: You have your orders, Mister Findlay. Carry them out.note
Arcturus Mengsk: Remember this, Raynor? It was nice of your criminal partner to leave it here for me.
- Star Trek OnlineCommander Winters: "The terminus is at a fixed point, we could determined that. But... I don't know what we picked up, but the monitors on the bridge are all showing an Omega, we're locked out of the computer and the engines are off-line."
- Some earlier ones:
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has not a line, but a sound — gutteral, pained breathing.
- Superhot has a uniquely meta case where it encourages this with players and reviews:It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years.
- Super Mario Galaxy, The seventh chapter of the storybook"I want to go home! I want to go back to my house by the hill! I want to see my mother!" The girl was shouting now, her face wet with tears. "But I know she's not there! I knew all along that she wasn't out there in the sky! Because...because..."
- Super Paper Mario,Bonechill: "I speak of the Pure Heart... And I speak of you, Luvbi... IT IS YOU!"Floro Sapien: "WATER, man! I'm talking about WATER! The Cragnons were polluting our water!"
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl: The E3 2006 trailer has just revealed a handful of new characters. Then, Solid Snake and Colonel Roy Campbell appear on the screen.Roy Campbell: Snake! Sorry to bother you, but I've got big news!Snake: What? Not another absurd objective, I hope.Roy Campbell: Are you familiar with Super Smash Bros.?Snake: Ah... That Nintendo thing...Roy Campbell: Yes. Actually, we've received an invitation for you to join.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The E3 2018 reveal trailer.
- And for long-time fans, an even bigger one near the end of the trailer.
- The four words that created a player base for Mii Gunner:Now entering [A]: Sans
- Syphon Filter"There is no universal vaccine.""How long has Rhoemer been working for you, Markinson?"
- System Shock 2:The Polito form is dead, insect.
- Tales of Monkey Island:
- In Episode 5 of Tales from the Borderlands, if you chose to side with Handsome Jack at the end of the last episode and rule Hyperion together, he gleefully tells you his plan to download his Artificial Intelligence into a robotic exoskeleton and spread copies of himself throughout the galaxy by inserting more of the same robot model inside corpses of people he's killed, and happily delivers his finishing touch on the plan that he genuinely expects you to be just as excited about:Handsome Jack: And the best part is...Rhysie, baby—YOU'RE gonna be the first recipient! Eh?
- Tales of Symphonia:
Remiel: "My daughter? Don't make me laugh. When I came down to play the role of guardian angel, you inferior beings just started calling me her father on your own."
- At the Tower of Salvation, the Journey of Regeneration is about to conclude, and Lloyd asks Remiel if he feels anything now that his daughter will sacrifice herself to save Sylvarant. Remiel's response?
Remiel: Lord Kratos, have pity on me. Please...lend me your aid.Kratos: Have you forgotten, Remiel? I was once of the inferior race...a human. Does the ultimate being seek help from that which he despises the most?
- After Remiel is defeated, with his final breaths, he identifies a party member as The Mole.
Fine, I will tell you my name, wretched human. I am Yggdrasill, leader of Cruxis... and the Desians!
- Shortly after the first fight with Kratos, the party comes face to face with Kratos and Remiel's boss.
"Mithos Yggdrasill, his older sister Martel, and their companions Kratos and Yuan."
- Late in the game, the elven storyteller reveals some information that puts a great deal of what the heroes know about the Ancient War into an entirely new context.note
Yuan: (To Lloyd) Now, now. is that the way to act when you're about to meet your father for the first time?Kratos: So it was you. You were the assassin who tried to kill me at Hima.Yuan: Kratos, if you value your son's life at all, do as we say.Lloyd: What are you... talking about?Yuan: Release Origin's seal. Otherwise, Lloyd will die right here.
- The following exchange reveals that Kratos is Lloyd's father.
Richter: (to Emil) This arte, this timing. So indeed...you are Ratatosk!
- After the chaos from the above revelation has seemingly died down, and Lloyd reaffirms his desire for everyone to live, someone offers unexpected commentary on it, and reveals himself as a villain in the process.
- Tales of the Abyss:
Jade: That's what I would say if I was an emperor, with a country and people to look after. As your friend...I feel compelled to stop you.[...] I'm sorry.
- Talking to Jade in Daath, before heading to the Tower of Rem, where Luke will perform a task that will most likely result in his death, Jade, coldly logical as always, says that this is the right course of action... or at least, he would think of it as such under normal circumstances.
Tear: Van is... planning to destroy Akzeriuth!
- Sometime before that, as the party is discussing Asch's mad plan to die in order to remove the miasma from the world, and the party is trying to think of an alternative, they ask Jade, who knows the situation better than anyone:Jade: ...The only alternative I can think of is even crueler.
- There's also always this reveal, if you haven't figured it out already due to the massive amounts of Foreshadowing:Asch: That's right. You're a mere replica. A second-rate copy of me!
- In Akzeriuth, Tear reunites with the party and shares some disturbing news regarding Van's intentions. While Van had claimed to want Luke to use his hyperresonance to save the city from the miasma, this line firmly establishes Van as a villain.
Mohs: Wait. There is no need to obey the orders of a false princess.
- As war rages between Kimlasca and Malkuth, Natalia tries to assert her authority to stop the fighting, hoping that now that she's turned up alive, Kimlasca will no longer want to fight. But then Mohs decides to interfere.
Ion: Just as I thought. You are also a replica of the Fon Master.Guy: Wait! What do you mean "also"?!Ion: I'm Fon Master Ion's seventh replica— the final one.
- After the second fight with Sync, his mask comes off.
Luke: I had more important things to learn... Like my parents' faces!
- A line yelled by Luke, during one of the moments early on, when the party makes a comment about his lack of basic world knowledge. Luke, who is suffering from amnesia that struck him(or so he thought, since he is actually a replica of the real Luke and never had those memories to begin with), after he was rescued from a kidnapping several years ago, finally snaps and reveals how bad his amnesia had been.
- Tales of Vesperia: Although what's said isn't quite so important as the voice that says it, establishing that Raven, a party member, and Captain Schwann, a villain, are one and the same.Raven/Captain Schwann: I suppose there's no fooling the nose of a dog.
- Tales of Xillia:Milla: It can't be...they broke right through it...So I was mistaken all along. And that means that the Lance was never a weapon at all!
- Tales of Xillia 2
Victor: I'm this Elle's father.
- When encountering Elle's father... in a Fractured Dimension.
Victor: Yes, you completed it... and then I killed you.
- Shortly after, when Jude asks about his counterpart in this dimension succeeded in creating an alternative to spyrix.
- Tales of BerseriaLaphicet/Innominat: I never wanted you to avenge me.
- Tenchu 2Tatsumaru: Who is Tatsumaru? I am Seiryu the Blue Dragon, one of the Four Lords of the Burning Dawn!
- Thief: The Dark Project
Konstantin: "Victoria, are you prepared to give Mr. Garrett his... compensation?"Viktoria: "Bow to the Woodsie Lord, and offer up your flesheye so that his Eye of Stone may see, Manfool!"
- Garret has delivered the artifact he was hired to steal to his client, an eccentric collectioner named Konstantin, and enquires about payment.
- The Walking Dead
- There are different ways the line can be delivered depending on your dialogue choices, but one way or another, Larry tells you at the end of episode 1 that he knows you're a convicted murderer.
- From Episode 2:Ben: It's not the bite that does it! You come back no matter how you die.
- The line that brings the Mid-Season Twist and Cliffhanger of Episode 3. What's really disturbing about it is that it comes from Clementine's Walkie-Talkie, which you thought was broken.The Stranger: Can't wait for you to get to Savannah, Clementine. I've got your parents right here! And you be sure to find me, whether Lee wants you to or not.
- The Stranger delivers one during the climax of Episode 5 that reveals that your group is the reason behind his Sanity Slippage, since you're the ones who robbed his family's supplies out of their car, causing his wife to take their daughter and leave him, only for him to find their dead bodies a day later.The Stranger: A few weeks back, there might have been a station wagon in the forest? Full of all sorts of food, water, things you need to survive.
- From, Season 2 Episode 3, confirming that Carver raped Rebecca.Carver: The fuck are you looking at, bitch? Don't act like you didn't love very second of it—
- Thief II: The Metal Age: In "Life of the Party", one of your objectives in the Mechanist Tower is to investigate a series of prerecorded messages that Karras has left behind for his guests in order to see if you can find out anything useful about his work. In addition to the ones scattered about the tower, there is one final prerecorded message you can find in his office, which is empty, locked up and closely guarded— you play it, and what's the first thing you hear?
- Karras: Greetings, Garrett.
- TIE Fighter:Admiral Harkov: ''"Enough of this charade; Gamma 1 is the Emperor's stool pigeon! Gamma 2 and 3 destroy Gamma 1 now!"''Admiral Zaarin's forces are attacking Imperial Star Destroyer Garrett! The treachery is worse than we imagined; the Emperor is in danger."
- Time Crisis 5:Robert Baxter: "If you had just died this would all have gone according to plan."
Keith Martin: "The internal auditor, Christy, we were in love. I need to find out what really happened!"
- Earlier, during Keith's boss battle:
- From To the Moon, when Neil and Eva are finally able to go deeper into Johnny's memories, Eva notices something in his room...Eva: Johnny slept on a bunk bed...
- Tomodachi Life will periodically throw this potential breakup opportunity out of nowhere with the only prior indication being the orange "social problem" icon that is also used for other problems (e.g. wanting to befriend another Mii):Mii: "Things aren't going so great between me and ..."
- Since the Trails Series is one gigantic story, every single game will at least have a few of these so the lines posted here will be the more significant ones than the rest of them:
- From Trails In The Sky The First Chapter:Professor Alba: Allow me to clear away your confusion. *fingersnap* Congratulations Joshua, you now remember your place and history as the Black Fang, Enforcer XIII of Ouroboros.
- From Trails In The Sky The Second Chapter:Kevin: Yeah, sorry. I've been puttin' on quite a bit of a show. I'm actually their number five. I've seen my fair share of fights. Granted... when you were at your best and power-tripping on the Aureole I would've struggled... But now? You don't have a prayer. Not that you do that anymore... you filthy heathen.
- From Trails In The Sky The Third:Kevin: Now, hurry and take off that disgusting mask of yours... Lord of PhantasmaNo, RUFINA ARGENT!
- From Trails of Cold Steel 1 where it just shows how outclassed Rean really is in the grand scheme of things:
- From Trails of Cold Steel II and one of the biggest revelations in the series:Rufus: (puts his hand on Rean's shoulder) That's enough. Just as you have your reasons that guide your actions, so, too, does His Excellency. And I believe you factor into those reasons more than you might think.
- From Trails In The Sky The First Chapter:
- Transformers: War for Cybertron: "OMEGA SUPREME: ONLINE."
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron:Optimus: (As the scenery is shifting around him) I ask you... no I command you; help us.
Metroplex: (rising with Optimus in his hand) Metroplex heeds the call of the last of the Primes.
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron:
- Transistor: "Who gets to go first? How about...me."
- Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon: At the end of mission 10, after Jim Hawkins manages to disable and board an Ironclad ship.Mr. Onyx: Captain, we've done it! They're surrendering!
Jim Hawkins: Great Neptune! They're... Procyons!
- True Crime: New York City:Terry Higgins: You did good, boy scout.
- Umineko: When They Cry:
- "This game will not be granted a happy ending." Consider that the red text is the Language of Truth.
- In Alliance of the Golden Witch this is even used with what the character can't say when Battler tries to say that he is the son of Asumu (his mother) and can't, effectively proving that Asumu ISN'T his mother, causing a lot of dropped jaws.
- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End: One confrontation with Rafe changes everything both Nate and the audience thought they knew about Sam's backstory.Rafe: Whoa, what the hell are you talking about, Nate? Hector Alcázar died in a shootout in Argentina like six months ago. I'm the one that got Samuel out.
- Under Night In-Birth: Unlike most of the cast, operating by themselves, Byakuya and Tsukuyomi are navigating the Hollow Night as a BrotherSister Team - Tsukuyomi is the Mission Control and Byukaya fights off In-Births and protects her toward the Altar. After beating Hilda in their Arcade ending, however, Byakuya casually says:Byakuya: Hey. Strix. Why don't we just stop it now? Pretending to be siblings and all.
- Universal Paperclips:Release the HypnoDronesnote
- Until Dawn:
- After the reveal of the psycho's identity, we get this bombshell.Mike: What are you talking about, you asshat? Jessica is fucking dead!
- This line sets up the plot of the entire second half of the game.Flamethrower Guy: I don't take kindly to you kids coming up here to my mountain-Mike: Your mountain? I'm sure the Washingtons would be very surprised to hear that.Flamethrower Guy: Hehheh... Well, this mountain don't belong to me, it's true. But it don't belong to the Washingtons. This mountain belongs to the Wendigo.
- After the reveal of the psycho's identity, we get this bombshell.
- Warcraft 3.Mal'Ganis: You hear the voice of the Dark Lord. He whispers to you through the blade you wield. What does he say, young human? What does the Dark Lord of the Dead tell you now?
Arthas: He tells me that the time for my vengeance has come.
- And in case various trailers and the most recent mission or two hadn't already clued in just how deeply Arthas was being affected, there's this tidbit from the cinematic after the first campaign:King Menethil: What are you doing, my son?
Arthas: Succeeding you, Father!
- "The Dreadlords are the Lich king's jailors".
- "This entire city must be purged."
- And in case various trailers and the most recent mission or two hadn't already clued in just how deeply Arthas was being affected, there's this tidbit from the cinematic after the first campaign:
- What Remains of Edith Finch: "If she'd told me there was going to be so much climbing, I never would have come when I was 22 weeks pregnant." Though if you ever bothered to look down at all during the game, this one isn't too surprising.
- When Tails Gets Bored has Tails doing various things out of boredom, but just before the true final stage Sonic reveals the real reason why he's bored:"Someone's messin' with your mind."
- The Witness: "What?" The line appears on an audio log that continues to run well after the quotation is read. It's usually the first audio log that players find in the Expert section of the mountain (the ones that spell out the plot of the game).
- The Wonderful 101:
- Towards the end of Operation 006:Luka: Take Me to Your Leader... for real... I wanna join you!
- Earlier in Operation 006, Vorkken leaves a message, and Immorta translates it.Immorta: It's in Rhulloian. [...] The language of the comet Rhullo. The world that Vorkken... and I... call home.
- During Vorkken's final boss fight:
- And after the fight:Immorta: A space pirate? Really?! The people of Rhullo loved you! And now you're a miscreant! A malefactor! Another grub in the garbage pile! That, and you don't seem to know when you're beat, my dear brother!
- During the final boss's Motive Rant after his first form, where GEATHJERK's true intentions are revealed:Jergingha: Surely even you must realize the origin of the Greater Galactic Coalition.Wonder Red: No...Jergingha: Yes. The Greater Galactic Coalition will be created by the people of Chi-Q.
- Towards the end of Operation 006:
- The World Ends with You
- For being a relatively minor character, Higashizawa gets a big one. He gives Shiki a Breaking Lecture about how her jealousy will prevent her from changing for the better even if she's given a second chance, and Neku then asks what Higashizawa means.
"It was me, Neku. I'm Shibuya's Composer."
- At the end of the first week, Kitaniji announces the results of the game. "Your points have been tallied, and the Player to be reborn decided. Congratulations...Shiki Misaki." Shortly afterward, after Neku agrees to let Shiki return to life and chooses to play the game again, he gets his entry fee back, and hears his new one- "This time, you're playing for...Shiki Misaki.".
- The Another Day Secret Report, obtained by reading all of the previous ones, and defeating the Bonus Boss. By reading the others, you'd discovered the existence of a Fallen Angel who had aided Minamimoto, and learned that the writer of the Reports was Hanekoma, who is an Angel who is looking to find and stop the Fallen Angel. However, when you read the Another Day report, he says that there's a reason he doesn't want to meet up with the alternate version of himself: "You see, I am the Fallen Angel who taught Minamimoto how to refine Taboo Noise. Minamimoto owes his successful rebirth to the corrections I made to his flawed Taboo refinery sigil. I must hide in Pork City for fear that my alternate self in this world may report me on sight."
- At the start of Week 3, Uzuki and Kariya discuss how this week is somewhat irregular, but Kariya manages to revive Uzuki's usual enthusiasm for her job.note Uzuki: I'll make this week the pinnacle of my Harrier career!
Kariya: 'Atta girl. Now let's just hope we get to the scene while there's still a Player to harry.
- In case you didn't catch the context, it's spelled out clearly a bit later.
- Midway through Week 3, Beat talks about Rhyme and how he feels as though he'd let her down. He adds, "Some brother I make," revealing that the two are siblings.
- Joshua's got to have the best, though. At the end of the game, after defeating Kitaniji, the Conductor, Joshua reveals his true identity.
- World of Warcraft: At the end of the quest Cleansing Drak'Tharon:The Lich King: "You have done well, Drakuru."
"You trained them well, Fordring. You delivered the greatest fighting force this world has ever known...right into my hands — exactly as I intended."
- Another, during the final battle against the Lich King:
Huln Highmountain: Look! One survived. Such a small thing, and with little black horns. I shall call you Ebonhorn.
- And after the death of Arthas, when Bolvar Fordragon reappears on the Lich King's throne (he was last seen dying from dragonfire at the Wrathgate:The dragons' flame sealed my fate. The world of the living can no longer comfort me. Place the crown upon my head, Tirion. Forevermore - I will be the jailor of the damned.
- Also, at the Wrathgate itself:Grand Apothecary Putress: Death to the Scourge and death to the living!
- Loken has one final line to add insult to injury after capturing Thorim:As for your life, mortal. I will be generous. After all...why would I destroy my most useful servant? I waited for you for weeks inside that Hyldnir minenote .
- Toward the end of the Creepy Crate quest for Hallow's Eve, on the Alliance side (a similar series of events occurs for the Horde version) you have the option of turning it over to Anson Hastings, or to Hudson Barnes for safekeeping. If you choose Barnes, he will tell you this.I know this will seem like betrayal, but Mr. Hastings has made an offer I simply cannot refuse. My apologies, (player).
- Toward the end of Hour of Twilight, the Twilight Prophet reveals himself.Archbishop Benedictus: And now, Shaman, you will give the Dragon Soul to ME.
- One comes up in Cataclysm's endingAlexstraza: But now we must see it... with mortal eyes.
- In "Dagger in the Dark", this exchange takes the mission into an unexpected turn when Rak'gor tries to kill Vol'jin.Vol'jin: Garrosh playing god? Making monsters? Dis ain't what da Horde is about!Rak'gor Bloodrazor: He knew you were a traitor! (stabs Vol'jin).
- In "Path of the Last Emperor", after you reach the top, the questgiver talks about himself.Seer Hao Pham Roo: I was going to teach you a lesson, but instead, it is you who have taught me. You see, when I was young... (Voice gradually changes) When I was young... When I was young... I was EMPEROR.
- There is some foreshadowing for a clever player - Seer Hao Pham Roo is an anagram of Emperor Shaohao - The Last Emperor of Pandaria.
- One that applies only to the Alliance: after Garrosh's defeat, Varian demands to speak to the Horde's new Warchief. Orc grunts move out of Varian's line of sight to reveal:Vol'jin: "I speak for da Horde!"
- In Legion players speak to Xe'ra, one of the first Naaru, who tells of a child born in the "House of Light and Shadow" and destined to bring an end to the Burning Legion. Given the prequel comic, and his status as a priest, many people assumed Xe'ra was talking about Anduin Wrynn.Xe'ra: The one known as Illidan Stormrage.
- Earlier when players retrieve Light's Heart, it plays a message where a human tells of the Army of the Light and how they will fall if Light's Heart does not reach the Prophet.Khadgar: We will not fail you... Turalyon.
- In "Ancient Secret", Spiritwalker Ebonhorn shows you and Mayla Highmountain the end of the story of Mayla's ancestor Huln's heroics during the War of the Ancients. After Huln's victory over Deathwing, he found some black dragon eggs, one of which hatched.
Spiritwalker Ebonhorn: So it was that Huln's mercy gained the allegiance of his family's oldest ally: me. (transforms into his true form- an uncorrupted black dragon)
- In Battle for Azeroth, the cinematic for Sylvanas as the Warbringer.
Lord Stormsong: The Kul Tiran Fleet is yours, my queen.Bwonsamdi: What?! Where be his soul, mon?! This is not good - boss isn't going to be happy about this!
- In the Shrine of the Storms, Lord Stormsong is talking to his new boss.
Zalazane: What? Vol'jin... you could not have grown so strong without becoming... a...
- You eventually use a Glaive of Vol'Jin to kill off the spirit of Zalazane. His reaction at the end sent the fandom into an uproar.
- Used in XCOM 2 to make it clear to the player why ADVENT and the Aliens have to be stopped.Tygan: I believe we have found the missing civilians.
- The briefing on the final mission starts with The Informant contacting XCOM, only for the comms officer explains that the signal is comming straight from the ADVENT Network Tower. We soon learn what's so important that The Informant had to contact XCOM through the enemy's communication network.The Informant: ADVENT is not taking the death of an Elder lightly and in turn have greatly accelerated the final stages of their Avatar Project. A plan is now in place for the rapid processing of all non-essential human life. To begin immediately.
- The briefing on the final mission starts with The Informant contacting XCOM, only for the comms officer explains that the signal is comming straight from the ADVENT Network Tower. We soon learn what's so important that The Informant had to contact XCOM through the enemy's communication network.
- Egil: (Talking to someone we know to be called Zanza) I also desire that, Arglas.
- Dickson: (After shooting Shulk) You shouldn't have done that, little brat.
- Alvis: (After beating Zanza) I am Monado. I was here at the beginnning... And I will proclaim the end.
- I am the administrative computer of a phase transition experiment facility. But that will mean little to you.
- An NPC can potentially give one depending on whether or not you do her sidequest before the Wham Episode that is Prison Island:Desirée: "Do you remember my father at all? He used to swing a hammer above his head, all day, every day. He used to build and fix machines. He was really good at it, too. He ran his own place. 'Xord's Smithy,' he called it. But he died a year ago in the battle against the Mechon."
- Xenoblade Chronicles X manages to fit one into The Stinger.Elma: The system, everyone's consciousnesses and memories, the entire database... has been destroyed for some time.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has one for anyone who's played the original Xenoblade:Scientist on the Beanstalk: We've been locked out by Professor Klaus.
- Similarly, there's a gameplay example in Malos' second fight, when he starts calling out Monado Arts.
- Yakuza 0:
Yakuza: You're the owner here, Wen Hai Lee, yeah? Where's Makoto Makimura?
- In Chapter 4, Majima is sent to kill a prostitution ring owner named "Makoto Makimura". Majima hears plenty of stories that this Makoto Makimura is far nicer than the description Majima is given, but the real shocker comes at the very end of the chapter:
Wen Hai Lee: (to the blind woman that Majima had met earlier) Makoto...Majima: What the hell?!Yakuza: Oh, perfect timing! Welcome back, Makoto Makimura-chan.
- And immediately after: