The SCP Foundation has several of these. Often an entry will lead the reader in a certain direction by deliberately not revealing all of the object's qualities; the Wham Line will then drastically change the tone of the piece:
- Classified object classes. Sometimes, an SCP would explicitly state its object class as being one class, but then you open a collapsible and see its true object class and description. The classified object class is usually Keter or Thaumiel.
- During earlier times, any use of Object Class: Thaumiel, regardless of obscured or unobscured, is very much a wham line, since it indicates that the SCP is beneficial to the Foundation's goals instead of being the usually expected "dangerous anomaly".
- Object Class: Apollyon is an even rarer example and has even more impact. As of yet, it has only been used three times, generally to indicate a Despair Event Horizon on the part of the Foundation, or a world-ending object for which any sort of containment procedure is rendered irrelevant or impossible. Only one (or two) of them has been averted.
- From Andrew Swann's SCP-001 proposal: "But we found out that there is a God, and it is SCP-001. And it's a bunch of horror writers."
- From S.D. Locke's SCP-001 Proposal:Description: SCP-001 is the designation given to the Sun.Object Class: Apollyon.
- Doubling as an Easter Egg, SCP-231-7 has the following hidden line in her description: "Don't believe it when they say they're trying to save her. Why would they bother? They've got exactly what they want exactly where they want it."
- SCP-592: "With 100% certainty the PERSONS in the image should have FACIAL FEATURES. With 100% certainty the PERSONS in the image do NOT have FACIAL FEATURES."
- An accidental example, in the form of Early Installment Weirdness creating a Meta Twist, occurs at the beginning of SCP-682's entry. It's a recurring theme of the articles that the purpose of the Foundation is not to destroy objects, but rather to study and contain them. Which makes it so startling (at least to a new reader who doesn't know 682 is the second-oldest object on the site) that 682's containment procedures begin with this line:
- SCP-2000, being a bit of a Wham SCP, has several, but three in particular stand out:"Object Class: Thaumiel" (see above)"Previous attempts to ameliorate violent and sociopathic tendencies in humanity as a whole have already been implemented and deemed successful.""Valid Foundation security credentials for Dr. Alto Clef were discovered nearby, although a genetic match could not be established"
- SCP-2317 has two on its final iteration:
- Object Class: Keter (stricken out) Apollyon
- Special Containment Procedures: Irrelevant.
- SCP-2740: Currently, it is believed that Olivia Lee does not exist, nor has ever existed.
- SCP-2747 destroys narratives "from within" when references to a non-existent work of fiction start appearing on online discussion forums, including a non-existent Satoshi Kon movie on this very wiki and an album from the "now defunct" band Radiohead. Because SCP-2747 is only known from references it's been impossible to observe directly; fortunately the Foundation found a way and it revealed [DATA LOST]
- SCP-2932 is a Foundation-style prison for anomalies, constructed by the Bigfoots (a.k.a. SCP-1000) thousands of years ago. At the end of a series of interviews from the Warden, we get this line regarding a prisoner known only as "Fae", and for whom no other description is given:
- SCP-2935 is an alternate dimension where everything even down to the microbial level has died at the same time. The investigation team sent into it heads to a nearby SCP site within the universe, and checks up on that universe's 682:The corpse of SCP-682 is visible within the chamber. Entity displays no signs of life.
"Maybe I was the reason. Maybe I... am Death. If it was in there and I brought it back, then I am Death.""You know, it occurs to me… if you're listening to this... you're Death, too."
- And there is the reveal that anyone who leaves this alternate dimension will indirectly (and unknowingly) kill everything in his own universe. How did a Foundation team sent to 2935!Earth learn about this? They discovered a journal entry left by the last known survivor of his dimension, who commited suicide shortly after writing it.
- SCP-3812 has three. First, from the memo left by Dr. Yamamara, "I usually don’t like to lead into these things with hyperbole, so you’ll have to take me at my word when I say that I believe SCP-3812 is the most dangerous anomaly on Earth, and potentially in the universe.". The second was from Addendum 3812.4, where it is casually stated that SCP-3812's lashing out at a redacted SCP (that was producing a field similar to a Reality Anchor's) caused the destruction of a nearby hospital and the "remnants of SCP-███" to be reclassified as SCP-239. The Witch Child, who could manipulate DR. CLEF. The third was also from the Addendum and stated that one of SCP-3812's attacks caused an enormous explosion, resulting in a crater 850 metres wide, and the highly abstract database-bending SCP-2719 to be created and later found inside.