- From the ads for the final issue of A Death in the Family, a direct Take That! to those who thought DC wouldn't violate Status Quo Is God: "Robin is dead, murdered by the Joker."
- Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood: "Isn't it obvious? Your mother and I were conceiving you, Helena Rosa. Now put that crossbow down before you accidentally murder your father."
- To explain, Helena Rosa Bertinelli became the murderous vigilante Huntress to answer the cry for blood of her murdered family. Suddenly she, and we, are discovering that she is not a Bertinelli at all, but a Cassamento, and that her father is very much alive. We then go on to learn that her father is the one who arranged the murder of her family, with the intent of sparing her mother, not her. The very man she has spent her adult life trying to identify and kill is her father.
- The final line of chapter 11 of Watchmen.Veidt: "Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Did you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke if there was the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago.
- Also while Nite Owl and Rorschach are looking through Ozymandias' office for clues about who might be targeting heroes, having been unable to speak with Ozymandias themselves.Nite Owl: Rorschach, I think we're in bad trouble. The person behind this, the person we're up against... I think it's Adrian.
- And:Comedian: "Jesus Christ Sally, can't a guy talk to his, y'know, his old friend's daughter?"
- The wham comes when the listener realizes the reason for the stutter is because he didn't intend to say "old friend" at all.
- A bit less dramatic, but there is a part in Under The Hood where Hollis is talking about reading Action Comics as a kid, and mentions Superman, Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen. He then says "Of course, all of these old characters are gone and forgotten now."
- Also while Nite Owl and Rorschach are looking through Ozymandias' office for clues about who might be targeting heroes, having been unable to speak with Ozymandias themselves.
- Blackest Night: Thaal Sinestro of Korugar. Destiny awaits.
- War of the Green Lanterns: "Thaal Sinestro of Korugar. You have the ability to overcome great fear. You have been chosen. Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."
- Green Lantern #12: "Hal Jordan will become the greatest Black Lantern."
- KEEP IT AWAY FROM ME!!!. Not for the words themselves, but who says them; Larfleeze after his ring is briefly pulled off, only to fly back to him.
- Suicide Squad: "Frank Rock died in 1945."
- This one's especially painful. It was supposed to kick off a new story arc, but the series was cancelled prematurely, which caused it to be the last line in the series.
- Legion of Super-Heroes: "Go for your master... for DARKSEID!"
- Aquaman: "In a fit of rage, seeking revenge, Aquaman killed Black Manta's father."
- Flashpoint: "What did I do? Oh, Barry. My idol. My inspiration. That's the beauty of all this madness. I didn't do anything. Not a thing. You see, it turns out... You're the villain today."
- "You're Thomas Wayne."
- Batman The Long Halloween: "I am Holiday."
- Also, "You both know, don't you? There were two Holiday Killers."
- Dark Victory: "What if the message isnt None Of You are Safe? What if it's Nine of you are safe?"
- The Dark Knight Strikes AgainBatman: [to the New Joker] So... it's you. I changed the abort code the night I fired you... Dick Grayson.
- Batman and Robin #12: "They're all jokes."
- Identity Crisis #6:Zatanna: NAMTAB POTS!
- Kingdom Come:Norman: He had not turned his back at us. He stands in the sky... faith rewarded. (vision of screaming Superman, which changes Norman's mood and reaction) ... dear God. The threat of Armageddon hasn't ended. It's just begun...
- Krypton No More:Supergirl: I thought we'd come to this someday! Well, now that we have, I've got to tell you, Superman There is NO planet Krypton! Moreover, Clark There never WAS!
- Wonder Woman:
- In The New 52 version of Wonder Woman: BOOM.
- Wonder Woman (Rebirth): Diana wraps her own Lasso of Truth around her wrist and asks herself a question; trying to figure out why the Amazons and Olympians don't seem to remember things:You are many to many. Peace-maker and war-fighter. Supplicant, aspirant, penitent. The true friend and the boon companion, the trusted soul and the truth-speaker...
...And you have been deceived.
- Justice League #50 (New 52):Batman: It said there were three.
- DC Rebirth:Wally West: We're being watched.
- New Super-ManChing Lung: Without me, Super-Man Zero, there would be no you. Without me, there would be no superheroes. For I am the very beginning.
- The Oz EffectMr. Oz: I am Jor-El
- From the pages of Swamp Thing. After several years of fighting to become human agian, Swampy's been shot in the head, and dissected by another plant-based super, the Floronic Man, who puzzles over how all Swamp's internal organs are too crude to work. Eventually, he figures out the secret of how botanist Alec Holland became Swamp Thing:The Floronic Man: "He isn't Alec Holland. He never will be Alec Holland. He never was Alec Holland."
- Amazons Attack has possibly the weirdest example on these pages in the final panels.
- Athena: Hmm, perhaps you're right. Perhaps "Justice" isn't the right word. But you have to admit... GOODNESS has certainly triumphed!
- Thunderbolts: The end of the first issue. "Instead, I shall wear a different mask...a mask with darker intentions...the mask of Helmut, 13th Baron Zemo and the leader of the Masters of Evil!"
- House of M #7:Scarlet Witch: Daddy... No more mutants.
- Avengers vs. X-Men: "No more Phoenix."
- As the run that pretty much reshaped the X-Men's canon, Grant Morrison's New X-Men naturally has a few.
- Issue #115:
Fantomex: "And it's Weapon Ten, not X."
- Issue #129:
- Issue #146:
Beast: "...call me SUBLIME."
- Issue #152:
- Wolverine Vol. 2 issue #75: "SCHLUNK!" The sound of bone claws tearing through Wolverine's skin.
- Wolverine in X-Men 138: The Hellfire Club defeats the X-men, and Wolverine gets mass-increased until he crashes through the floor and winds up deep underground. He rises from the sewer, livid, and utters the line that changes him from secondary character into cult figure...
- X-Men's Messiah Complex is practically built on this.Lady Deathstrike: "Come to me, children. Come to Deathstrike."Wolverine: "Negative. The Marauders don't have the baby. One of our side has her. An X-Man took her from Cooperstown."Cyclops: "Charles, you trained me, Let me do my job."Also from Cyclops: "Assemble X-Force."Future Mutant: "Yeah. You'll live. Leastways... until something else kills you." Full page showing Cable shot and Bishop aiming at the mutant baby.Mystique: "I've always been good with children."Rockslide: "We deserve a piece of the ac—...tion? I take it back."
- X-Men #300
- The Amazing Spider-Man #248, "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man." "You see, Tim has leukemia and the doctors give him only a few weeks to live."
- Another Spider-Man example with a huge impact on the entire mythos and which comes as a revelation not just to the readers, but to the protagonist as well, from The Amazing Spider-Man #257:Mary Jane: You don't have to make up another one of your phony excuses, Peter! Not now—! I know the truth! The real truth!Peter: What are you talking about?Mary Jane: I've known your secret for years! Up until now, I've always thought I could cope with it if I ever had to experience it firsthand — but I can't! I can't! I just can't cope with the fact that Peter Parker is secretly Spider-Man!
- And then, of course, there's the two words that, if avoided, could have saved a storyline: "Do it.".
- From The Amazing Spider-Man #698: "No... I'm Peter Parker."
- From Superior Spider-Man #19: "Gentlemen, I give you Alchemax. Long may she stand."
- The Jackal drops one in Dead No More: The Clone Conspiracy #3: "Please, Peter. This is darker than red. It's more of a... scarlet."
- Quite possibly the biggest one in all of Spider-Man and quite possibly all of comics wasn't so much a line, but a sound effect: SNAP!
- From the ending of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1, mixed with a Wham Shot to show where Aunt May is writing at: A few weeks ago, I found a lump.
- Another Spider-Man example with a huge impact on the entire mythos and which comes as a revelation not just to the readers, but to the protagonist as well, from The Amazing Spider-Man #257:
- Spider-MenMysterio: MYSTERIO AVATAR ACTIVATED.
Ultimate Mysterio: Mysterio avatar activated.
- The Punisher
- DaredevilKirsten McDuffie: Will you state your name for the record?
Matt Murdock: Absolutely. My name is Daredevil.
Ikari: Try the red one.
- During #25 of Mark Waid's run, Matt fights with Bullseye's new enforcer, Ikari, who was splashed with the same chemical that blinded him and gave him his radar sense. Matt attempts to use his experience to his advantage. That officially ends with this:
- Young Avengers/Runaways Civil War: I want you to die.
- Oh god, Runaways.Alex: "I just have to do one thing first."Karolina: "What's that?"Alex: "Tell you how sorry I am. Really."Xavin: "Chase... ran away. I believe he had a disagreement with Nico about what to do with Gert's body."Ultron: "Astounding. I anticipated your defeat of Doom, yet I was 99% certain you would be unable to damage him badly enough to uncover that he was merely one of my androids. Truly, you are my greatest creation."
- Marvel 2099: "Thor is dead. I know. I was there."
- In the Everything Burns crossover between The Mighty Thor and Journey into Mystery:Surtur's Herald: Leah of Hel knows his (Loki's) character better than her own.
- Incredible Hulk #600: "The Good Doctor is out. The Bad Doctor is in."
- Secret Avengers has one by the end of the fifth issue.
Forson: I never thought I'd live to see the day.
- Issue #5
: Mockingbird's dead. And so are you.
- Issue #13
- From HungerGalactus/Gah Lak Tus fusion:: Galactus... HUNGERS!
- In Issue 3 of Ultimates 3:
- First issue of Captain America: Steve Rogers ends with one:Captain America: Hail HYDRA.
Star Wars (Various Publishers):
- Knights of the Old Republic:Elbee: "That was not the Mandalorian that broke my hand."
- When Rohlan Dyre returned from picking up the unconscious Demagol, his weight was 17 kilos lower. And has not been seen taking off his helmet during the following 37 issues.
- Dark Times: In "A Spark Remains", Beyghor Sahdett convinces the group to try and assassinate Darth Vader. Dass Jennir eventually agrees and brings Kai Hudorra in:Hudorra: You know he's lying, don't you, Jennir?Dass: Yes. I've known for some time. But I also know his reputation with a lightsaber. I knew I couldn't take him myself.
- Star Wars: Darth Vader
Darth Vader: Did you bring me anything of value, bounty hunter?
- Issue 6. Granted, the Wham Line is about something that everyone should know by now, but it brings new context to it.
Boba Fett: Not much. Just his name. Skywalker.
- A few from the Chick Tracts:
"Mildred... didn't you hear? Saturday night Frances and Paul's car skidded in the rain and they hit a tree. John's still alive but Frances died instantly."
- "The Letter" involves Mildred having a nightmare in which her best friend Frances goes to hell and blames her for not telling her about Christ. Mildred calls about Frances and gets the following news.
"She's not there. Thelma took her to the clinic. They left an hour ago."
- In "Baby Talk," after a boy gets his girlfriend pregnant, one lecture about the evils of abortion later, he sees the error of his ways and converts. He then asks about his girlfriend, and is shocked to hear the answer.
"When Annie told me I should ask Jesus into my heart, I did!"
- "The Trial" involves a girl named Annie being sued for witnessing to her friend. Finally, the friend gets to testify, and with one remark, derails the prosecution's case.
- Albedo: Erma Felna EDF: The Distant Finale published between the first and second arcs also includes an epilogue featuring Dr. Kalahahaii running away from the EDF after the ILR stole the info regarding her discoveries of the human ship from her brain using a Talent spy and now the EDF tries to silence her. The Enchawah family, the owners of Enchawah Corp. on the other hand, not only they try to help her, but also managed to translate the book found in the human spaceship:Lida Enchawah: Finally, we have a reasonable translation of the book you found. It appears to be some kind of fantastic fiction. You might want to read it: Frankenstein.
- Towards the end of The Sculptor, Death (in human form) meets David's girlfriend, Meg. They both discuss an old theater she went to as a child before she goes out. After she leaves, David finally beats Death at chess. While he celebrates, Death drops the following linesExplanation (Spoilers) :Death: I've never been to that theater, David.
Death: I have an appointment with her in ten minutes at Fifty-Third and Ninth.
- Astrid Mueller of Clean Room plays one against the Surgeon in-universe.Astrid: We have a cloudbuster.
Astrid: Hell is real and the devil is coming.
- Later, after pieces of Astrid's knowledge are demonstrated to drive her own followers to suicide, the audience gets a glimpse of Astrid's in-case-of-death message to her right hand aide.
- Clem Hetherington: After the race, we get this from Kilburn that reveals he murdered Clem's and Digory's parents.
Kilburn: I thought that if I showed you, you'd see it the way I do. That with your parents out of the way, you'd see. I thought three years would do it.
- Double Duck is a Disney Ducks Comic Universe series with Donald Duck as a secret agent. Then, when Daisy has discovered his secret, Donald, knowing she's about to be hit by a Laser-Guided Amnesia, drops this bombshell:"I am also Paperinik.
- Hellboy In Hell: In Hell, a strange spirit explains to Hellboy that Satan has been sleeping in Pandemonium, alone and unguarded, for two thousand years. He tries to tempt Hellboy to murder him in his sleep, even handing him a knife. Hellboy refuses, and in a flash the scene changes and the plot rolls on. But later, in a conversation with a former slave demon, Hellboy realises that there is a mysterious gap in his memory of the previous scene:Slave Demon: It was their dream to escape this place, not ours. We want only Pandemonium. We were slaves there. We did the work. Shouldn't we have the reward?
Hellboy: Grapes of Wrath, baby. Just look out for that guy in the basement.
Slave Demon: Haven't you heard? Someone went down there and cut his throat.
Hellboy: The what?