Twinkle Toes is a Direct-to-Video animated film released in 2011.
It's a Merchandise-Driven cartoon made to advertise those kid's shoes with the twinkling lights. Specifically, Skechers' then-new "Twinkle Toes" brand of such shoes. Yes, there's not even a toyline. Just shoes.
Despite its rather cynical origin story, it's a cute and quirky film in its own right. It centers around a girl named Grace who has recently gained entry into a high school of the performing arts, despite the fact that she can only dance when she's sure that no one is watching. In preparation for her first day at school, she glues flashing lights to her shoes, gaining her the nickname "Twinkle Toes".
It was followed by a 2016 sequel, Twinkle Toes Lights Up New York.
Twinkle Toes contains examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Brittany Fairlawn.
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: Walter is treated as a regular pet rabbit, but is clearly entirely aware of the plot's events and has a knack for technology.
- Character as Himself: The credits feature Walter the Bunny credited in this manner.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Pretty Tall had ambitions to be a ballerina until she hit a growth spurt that left her over six feet tall.
- Missing Mom: Grace has a single dad.
- The Nicknamer: It's Mr. Koslovsky who bestows the names Twinkle Toes and Pretty Tall, though Sporty Shorty introduces herself as such.
- Statuesque Stunner: Pretty Tall. That's why they call her that.
- There's No "B" in "Movie": Grace and her dad partake in a weekly tradition called "Mac and Cheese Monday", in which they eat macaroni (the Mac) and watch 50s B-movies (the Cheese). They find the movies a total crack-up; in one of the films they watch, an actor in costume as a lagoon creature actually loses the costume's foot. They consider the fact that the video store clerk told Grace it was the worst film he'd ever seen as a compelling recommendation.
- Those Two Guys: Pretty Tall and Sporty Shorty. As their nicknames suggest, they also fit Big Guy, Little Guy (Tall and Shorty) and Tomboy and Girly Girl (Sporty and Pretty).