A Hanna-Barbera production, Trollkins was a 1981 animated series premiering on September 12, 1981. Taking inspiration from The Dukes of Hazzard and the Troll Dolls toyline, Trollkins ran for one season on CBS. It had only 13 half-hour episodes, but each was split into two segments, so technically there were 26 episodes.
The trolls are a race of different-colored beings living in a tree community called "Trolltown." The shows plot follows the adventures and misadventures of Blitz, Pixlee and their pet dog, Flooky. Other residents include Blitz's father, the somewhat short, incompetent, hot-headed, fumble-mouth Mayor Lumpkin; Pixlees father, Sheriff Trollsom, whos more mild-mannered, and the sheriff's two deputies that are just as incompetent and fumble minded in maintaining order. Theres also a renegade motorcycle nuisance gang known as the Troll Choppers, who terrorized the Trolltown denizens from time to time. Nonetheless, despite the escapades of each plot, there was no complete love lost amongst the trolls.
This series provides examples of:
- Amazing Technicolor Population
- Animated Series
- Expies/Captain Ersatz: Titular trolls for The Smurfs.
- Motorcycle gang Troll Choppers are basically troll versions of the Chopper Bunch from Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch. Even the way Mayor Lumpkin talked was similar to Rev.
- Shout-Out: Most of the episode titles Trolltown Meets Kling Kong, Escape from Alcatroll, Robotroll, The Troll Choppers Meet Frogzilla, Treasure of Troll Island, The Empire Strikes Trolltown, Raiders of the Lost Troll, The Moth That Ate Trolltown, Supertroll, Too, Dr. Frankentroll, I Presume, The Trollcat in the Trollhat, Agent Double-O-Troll and Pixlee and the Seven Trolls.
- Spoonerisms: The mayor, voiced by Paul Winchell, had one in almost every sentence.
- Superhero Episode: "Supertroll, Too."
- Trolling: The word troll appeared in most characters' names.
- Two Shorts
- Worthless Treasure Twist: The ending of "The Treasure of Troll Island".