Tom and Jerry: Spy Quest is the 11th film in the Tom and Jerry Direct to Video Film Series. The infamous Cat and mouse join forces with another franchise also created by Hanna and Barbera, Jonny Quest.
Tom and Jerry hit the beach and get caught in a chase by Tin, Pan and Alley who are after Jonny, Hadji and Bandit. Tom and Jerry tag along and find themselves alongside Team Quest to stop another world altering scheme by none other than Dr. Zin.
This film marks one of the few occasions that Tom and Jerry have been directly marketed with a Hanna-Barbera branded franchisenote , at least so far.
Tom and Jerry: Trope Quest:
- Adult Fear: Dr. Zin is not above using the kids as collateral, even threatening them in front of Dr. Quest.
- Amusing Injuries: As per usual with Tom and Jerry.
- Animal Assassin: While not going all the way, Tin, Pan and Alley are like this.
- Badass Family: As usual for the Quest family.
- Being Watched: Dr Zin still spies on the Quests.
- Belly Dancer: Shown performing in Jade's club once Johnny and the gang reach Moldovistan.
- The Bus Came Back: In a way this was the first new real Jonny Quest material since the 1990s.
- Jezebel Jade's return is also one within the film itself.
- Casting Gag: The President of the United States is voiced by Tim Matheson, the original voice of Jonny Quest. He lampshades this by telling Jonny he reminds him of himself at his age.
- Chekhov's Skill: Tom turns into an accidental warrior when Bandit barks. This is used in the finale.
- Crossover: Between Tom and Jerry and Jonny Quest.
- Furry Confusion: Tom and Jerry (along with Droopy and Spike) are your typical Funny Animal while Bandit is still a more realistic dog by comparison. Although this is nothing new for Hanna-Barbera crossovers.
- Lighter and Softer: It's more akin to the The New Adventures of Jonny Quest in tone but as usual this doesn't lessen the action.
- Mythology Gag: A lot to both series.
- The opening credits have Tom and Jerry edited into the original Jonny Quest opening.
- Two design reuses appear. Early on the crab on the beach is from "Salt Water Tabby". The larger monstrous ones are from "Terror Island".
- Remake Cameo: Tim Matheson, who voiced Jonny Quest in the original 1960s series, voices the president in this movie.
- Role Reprisal: Eric Bauza, who voiced Dr. Quest on Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, reprises the role for the movie.
- Sim Sim Salabim: Hadji still knows how to use this trick.
- Team Pet: Bandit is here in his usual role but Tom and Jerry end up joining the crew.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Well three in this case, with Tin, Pan and Alley.
- Yellow Peril: Dr. Zin is the main villain and, while Lighter and Softer is still showing some signs of being an evil Asian doctor.
- While Tin, Pan and Alley have been recurring foes for Tom and Jerry, for years now it is somewhat interesting that Zin's new henchmen are the breed of cat most stereotyped as Asian.