Wile E. Coyote tries his luck with food when he sculpts a handful of mud into a roasted chicken, but ends up losing a tooth in the process since the mud's appetizing shape doesn't automatically make it edible. Having discarded it with with a mud-sculpted trash bin, his longtime nemesis, the Road Runner, runs him and the bin over. When the Coyote flips open the top of the lid and notices the Road Runner, the chase begins. However, the Coyote decides to shortcut his way through by cutting through the winding road. He gets his feet (and tail) set on fire by the flames left behind by the Road Runner to signal the end of the chase. Afterwards, he concocts some new schemes to catch the bird, which of course, work out as well as they usually do.
- Ash Face: Courtesy of the spring-loaded gun and the attempt with the giant missile.
- Backwards-Firing Gun: In the second gag, the spring-loaded gun ends up aiming at Wile E. when the Road Runner passes by and shoots him.
- Binomium Ridiculus: "Famishius fantasticus" for Wile E. Coyote and "Dig-outtis tid-bittius" for the Road Runner.
- Burning Rubber: The flames left behind by the Road Runner are even stepped on by the Coyote when he halts.
- Cartoon Physics: The last three gags of the cartoon:
In Heaven's name—WHAT am I DOING?
- In the sixth gag, his attempt at sending an explosive-rigged tire down to the Road Runner only sends the tire, and not the explosives, down the hill.
- In the next one, he tries to launch himself while inside a missile, but instead gets shot out of it and into a cliff wall.
- And last but not least, the pile of rocks he intends to bury the Road Runner with get stuck when the trap door is released. They finally fall, however, when Wile E. uses a long pole like an ice pick to pry them free while standing underneath them! The placard sums it all up:
- Dowsing Device: While stamping feet gets rid of the fire, the tail required grabbing a Y-shaped stick from a tree and digging for water.
- Extreme Omnivore: Averted. Wile E. loses a tooth attempting to eat a chicken molded from mud.
- Finger in a Barrel: Subverted. Wile E. attempts this when the spring-loaded gun is now pointing at him. It still manages to shoot him nonetheless.
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: Not from Wile E. himself, but from the pile of rocks in the final gag, which fall when the Coyote strikes them with a long stick.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: As usual.
- Human Cannonball: Wile E. tries this once in the cartoon, except he's actually inside a missile instead of a cannon.
- Instant Flight: Just Add Spinning!: When Wile E. sets off the spiked ball trap, it spins with such force and speed that it flies up into the air and lands on Wile E. when it reaches him.
- Ladder Tipping: Wile E. attempts this with a scored ladder as a bridge, but when he discovers the Road Runner is waiting for him on top of a nearby cliff, the Coyote makes the mistake of using the same ladder that he cut, and disaster strikes when he reaches the middle of the ladder.
- Mock Meal: Wile E. makes a roasted chicken by molding some mud into a chicken-like shape and then hardening it in an oven. Even though it certainly looks delicious, he still can't eat it because it's still mud.
- Rump Roast: After Wile E. extinguishes the flames on his feet, he realizes he's not done yet when he takes a whiff...
- Running on the Spot: As the Road Runner zips off, the Coyote, still inside the trash can and with the mock roast perched on his head, is licking his chops setting up for the pursuit. Once he does take off, the can is turned inside out.
- Spike Balls of Doom: At one point, the Coyote ties some string-attached maces to a pole. But when he sets it off, it flies up in the air like a helicopter, flies up before the Road Runner passes and finally lands on the Coyote, battering him.
- Taps: This plays as the Coyote raises a "The End" flag with his long lump serving as the pole.
- The End: The phrase appears on a flag attached to Wile E.'s Cranial Eruption at the cartoon's conclusion.
- The Tooth Hurts: A stone chicken takes one of the Coyote's teeth out completely.
- Tree Buchet: The tree that is supposed to launch the Coyote to the Road Runner instead slams him several times on the ground back and forth.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Wile E., realizing the mistake he made in the last gag, holds up a tiny umbrella just in time for the pile of rocks to fall on and bury him.
- White Flag: Wile E. raises one at the end of the cartoon that reads "The End" after getting buried under a pile of boulders.