The Twins of Destiny (Les Jumeaux du Bout du Monde) is a French animated series. It lasted for 52 episodes, running from 1991 to 1992.
Two children, a Caucasian girl and a Chinese boy, are both born in Peking at the same moment on the same day in 1895, and are prophesied to be the downfall of the tyrannical Empress Dowager. To protect them from the Empress, they are smuggled out of China by the first mate of a French sailing ship, and adopted and raised by the ship's captain. When they are twelve years old, the prophecy catches up with them, and they must travel to China and fulfill their destiny.
This series provides examples of:
- Bedlah Babe: Julie dresses this way in "Danger in the Desert" and "Desert Adventure".
- BrotherSister Team: Jules and Julie Tournier; they aren't biologically related, but were born at the same time in the same hospital, raised together, and both were granted powers by the Moon Goddess that they can only activate by coming into physical contact with each other.
- Death by Childbirth: Both of the twins' mothers died giving birth, though exactly how isn't specified.
- Eunuchs Are Evil: The Empress Dowager's enforcers are all eunuchs, with the main one being Po Dung. This isn't really commented upon beyond a soldier disparagingly referring to Po Dung as "half a man."
- God Save Us from the Queen!: The Empress Dowager; she treats nearly everyone around her like crap, and lives quite comfortably while her horribly oppressed subjects are starving in the streets.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: China was ruled by an Empress Dowager at that point in history, but she wasn't a tyrannical sorceress.
- Over-the-Shoulder Carry: In one episode, an Arab slave trader kidnaps Julie to sell her to a sultan by tossing her over his shoulder and running away.
- Taken for Granite: Both of the twins' fathers are turned to stone by the Empress Dowager.
- Theme Twin Naming: Jules and Julie; according to the former, they were both named after Jules Verne.
- Wonder Twin Powers: The twins activate their powers by holding hands. It still works even if one of them is asleep or unconscious.