The story is the same, only that it has songs and very few character deaths, plus Kong's fights with the dinosaurs are less violent. It also has the addition of a boy named Ricky and his pet monkey.
The film stars Jodi Benson and Dudley Moore (in his final role before his death four years later).
- Canon Foreigner: Ricky and his monkey were created exclusively for this film. No other character appeared in the original version.
- Lighter and Softer: In comparison to its previous adaptations, this film is much family-friendly in tone. Kong's fight scenes are also toned down more.
- Mythology Gag: Kong bathes Anne under a waterfall like in the 1976 version. He also fights a giant snake.
- Seldom-Seen Species: The giant snake that Kong fights is a Gigantophis, an extinct species of prehistoric snake.
- Spared by the Adaptation: In the previous adaptations, Kong dies after falling off a high building. In this version however, he survives the fall off the Empire State Building to provide a more family-friendly ending.
- Waterfall Shower: Kong bathes Anne under a waterfall like in the 1976 version.