The Great Grape Ape is a Saturday Morning Cartoon produced by Hanna-Barbera for ABC as part of The Tom and Jerry Show. The main characters were Grape Ape, a gigantic purple gorilla, and Beegle Beagle, his canine partner.
Grape Ape later spun off into a Sunday morning show and competed on Yogi Bear's team in the Laff-A-Lympicsnote and later still cameoed in episodes of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law and The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy.
The Great Grape Ape provides examples of:
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Grape Ape is a gigantic gorilla, though he doesn't do much attacking.
- Depth Deception: Grape Ape has been known to manipulate the sun and the moon.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Grape Ape's strength seems to cause as many problems as it solves.Grape Ape: Sorrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy. Grape Ape, Grape Ape.
- Funny Animals: Grape Ape and Beegle, naturally.
- Gentle Giant: Grape Ape, despite his massive size, is very friendly and only causes damage due to his klutziness.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Both Grape Ape and Beegle Beagle, and probably more. This is a Hanna-Barbera production, of course.
- Kaiju: Grape Ape. Much friendlier than the usual, but he's still a 50-foot tall ape!
- Killer Gorilla: The people who scream at his sight believe he is one.
- King Kong Copy: Grape Ape is a giant gorilla, although an unusually friendly one.
- Lions and Tigers and Humans... Oh, My!: Beegle and Grape Ape are generally the only funny animals on the show. While everyone panics upon seeing a 40ft gorilla, no one bats an eye at a dog driving a van.
- Nice Hat: Grape Ape's giant green cap, and Beegle's red trilby
- Odd Friendship: A 40ft tall gorilla and his talking dog best friend
- Pokémon Speak: Grape Ape says his own name frequently.
- Phrase Catcher: "YEOW! A GORI-LI-LI-LI-LI-LI-LI-LI-LI-LLA!!"
- Zig-zagged in an episode where Grape Ape and Beegle are mounties assisting an imperiled damsel who merely says "Oh, hi" when she sees Grape Ape. When Beegle asks why she didn't run off screaming "Yeow! It's a goril-il-il-il-la!", she replies "You've seen one forty-foot purple ape, you've seen them all!"
- Repeated Cue, Tardy Response: In one episode, Grape Ape is dressed as a genie and hiding in a large vase. Beegle Beagle has arranged for Grape Ape to come out of the vase after the former knocks three times, but Grape Ape is slow to catch on.
- Running Gag: People freaking out and running away at top speed on seeing Grape Ape.
- Vagabond Buddies: Each episode begins with the two coming into town in/on Beegle's minivan.
- Your Size May Vary: Grape Ape is canonically 40 feet tall, but he'll often appear bigger or smaller depending on the needs of a scene.