The First Snow of Winter is a Made For TV Animated Movie produced by Hibbert Ralph Entertainment and Link Entertainment that first aired on the BBC in 1998.
The film takes place in Ireland and tells the story of the rambunctious Sean McDuck (no relation) after he's accidentally left behind when his family flies south for the winter. The little duck must learn to survive on his own and brave both predators and the Irish winter so he can reunite with his family when spring comes the next year...
The First Snow of Winter provides examples of the following tropes:
- Acrofatic: Voley can move really well for such a rotund character design.
- Art Shift: The line-dancing sheep are drawn much more cartoony than the rest of the animals.
- Big Damn Heroes: Voley when he swings in to knock the fox away from Sean and Puffy. He doesn't last long when the fox gets back up but it was a valiant effort.
- Big Fun: Voley. Justified since it's nealry winter and he's stocked up on extra body fat.
- Black Bead Eyes: Sean and the other ducklings have them.
- Disney Death: Voley.
- First Snow: It's right there in the title! This is the first time Sean has ever experienced snow.
- Guile Hero: Both Sean and Voley use their wits to survive. Puffy even remarks that Sean has always been clever.
- Feather Fingers: All the birds have them.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sean. He loses the jerk part later on after his Character Development.
- Parental Abandonment: Sean, accidentally. His parents do come back to look for him, but think he's been eaten by a fox so don't stay long enough to find him.
- Predators Are Mean: The fox does go out of its way to try and eat Sean even after it catches the much fatter Voley.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: All the baby birds are this but Puffy is particularly adorable.
- White and Grey Morality: The only really "bad" animal is the fox that tries to eat Sean and Puffy. Except the fox is really just a predator trying to survive by hunting for prey.