The Adventures of Donkey Ollie is an American animated show released in 2010 by Boat Angel and animated by DQ Entertainment.
The show follows the adventures of Ollie, a donkey who lives in the time of the Bible.
Tropes in this series include:
- All of the Other Reindeer: Ollie is the runt of the litter and is considered to be less smart, sizable, and fast by Farmer John and his siblings compared to his brothers, not to mention strange-looking for his pale coat.
- Anachronism Stew:
- In the first episode, Ollie asks God to forgive his brothers for bullying him, quoting "Father, forgive them, for they not know what they do.", which was what Jesus said when he got crucified, which hasn't happened yet.
- Art Evolution: The difference between animation quality of the last handful of episodes to the first eight is astonishing, to say the least.
- Been There, Shaped History: Aunt Amaya was the donkey that Joseph and Mary used to carry them to Bethlehem (stated to be Egypt within the show for some reason).
- Big Brother Bully: Ollie's brothers bully him for being the runt and throw him down a well when Jesus's Apostles come looking for a donkey to use.
- Beauty, Brains, and Brawn: Ollie's brothers so called traits bare a strong connection between this trope. Isa claims to be the wisest and smartest (Making him the brains), Esau claims to be the biggest and strongest (Making him the brawns) and Jeremy claims to be the fastest (I guess it makes him the beauty but that's all the information left)
- Four-Fingered Hands: The models of the humans are inconsistent as to whether they have these or the standard five-fingered ones.
- The Chosen One: A donkey of pure heart is selected by the Lord to help him spread the Word of the Lord, like Aunt Amaya. Jesus tells his Apostles to look for a donkey with a pale coat and bring it to him, and this donkey happens to be Ollie.
- Easily Forgiven: The Pharaoh, even though he enslaved the main characters.
- Interactive Narrator: Mr. Narrator directly interacts with the setting and Ollie on a regular basis. He even gets the odd stare from an onlooker in the Roman Colosseum.
- Laser-Guided Karma: The evil slaver gets run over and crushed by his chariot durng his race against Jehu in order to free the Pharaoh's slaves.
- Made a Slave: The plot to the second arc is that Ollie and Jehu have to rescue the latter's children, along with other child slaves, from the Egyptian Pharaoh
- Killed Offscreen: Jesus's crucification happens between Episode 1 and 2.
- Purity Personified: Jesus identifies Ollie as this. As it so happens, Ollie is probably one of the most kindhearted and merciful characters in the cast besides the Lord himself.
- Reality Ensues: Ollie tries to defend the kids from a pack of vicious jackals, but is quickly overwhelmed and is badly injured. Even weeks later, he still hasn't made much progress in physically recovering and the experience has also left him mentally traumatized.
- Sympathetic Slave Owner: One of the slavers that takes the children to Egypt is considerably far nicer and even berates his partner for the abuse he inflicts on them. It helps that he himself was a slave since childhood, and knows how they feel about their situation.
- Talking Animal: All the animals can speak to each other, but only Ollie and Rupert can speak freely to humans. It's worth pointing out that while Ollie can speak due to being The Chosen One, Rupert is simply hand-waved away as birds working in mysterious ways and no one ever questions it.
- Time Skip: The show takes place over several years, marked by the kids getting older.
- Turn the Other Cheek: Ollie to several of the bad guys, including his brothers.